Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

On a guest farm near Anysberg in the Karoo this weekend

attachicon.gifIMG-20190926-WA0022.jpg

Turned out to be a bigger "adventure" than I had in mind. Thought I was doing a circular route. The small white dot on the right hand side of the pic was my end destination. Mostly downhill. [emoji106] Only problem is few seconds after I took the pic I realised the road reached a dead end right where I was standing. :eek:

Had 2 options, track back and look for the turn-off I missed or take a "short cut" close to this spot down a dry river bed to a district road I saw in the distance. Chose the latter, but ended up having to do a few km's of low level mountaineering and thrashing through forests of thorn trees when the river bed route turned out to have more obstacles than I expected. :cursing:

Finally reached the district road only to be blocked by a electrical fence (who the %^&& puts up electrical fences in the middle of the Karoo?!?) Managed to lift my bike over the fence but when I tried to to climb over I received a nasty electric shock (this is how I learned a sweaty cycling glove is not effective isolation against electrical currents). Now I was stranded in the middle of nowhere, no cell signal and separated from my bike & the road to freedom by an electrical fence. Had no choice to walk along the fence looking for some sort of gate or opening to let me through. Luckily I eventually found another small river bed where the bottom of the fence was held down by weights and not planted in the ground. Managed to make a small hole in the sand and crawl through underneath like a jackal (luckily bottom half of the fence not electrified) - not how I envisioned the rest of my ride when I took the pic above!

So it was in fact a "shocking" ride [emoji2957]. I kind of like it when a ride to "nowhere" ends up in some kind of exploration ride.

Up to Tafelberg Road, Devils Peak and Signal Hill just in time for the Noon Gun - hot & humid Slaapstad.

Came across these people doing a training exercise. All volunteers. Great folks. Support them if you can.

Lek daardie Landy nie olie nie, brandgevaar [emoji1787][emoji2955]