Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

Family farm in Gamtoos Valley. Playing around on cattle paths

The art of exploration on your bike ... highly underrated, forgotten or not know to the masses!

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

What, empty?

No pic attached

Stopped in silence briefly, then moved on to avoid the intoxicated toyi toyi'ers..

... To the wooden bridge over sesmylspruit that was constructed for Nissan Trailseeker 5. Alas, it is no more after the weekend rainstorm. E (photo) and I had to cycle all they way back up the hill to cross under the highway.

As a matter of interest where do you start and finish the trail?

If I had to choose, one for a day to use, I'd have to say, give me MY BIKE.

Meerendal fun to start in a few seconds...

Um. Yeah... I don't believe you! I'd take the Porsche and ride the bike tomorrow...

Um. Yeah... I don't believe you! I'd take the Porsche and ride the bike tomorrow...

Uhm...naaah!...we clearly have different car taste, I'm not into Beetles!...Lambo's ja,..not Beetles ;-D

As a matter of interest where do you start and finish the trail?

Route is ~22km, with an optional loop that can makes it about 35km (~2hrs) although you could do a decent 50-60km if you cycle all the way to Red Barn and back. We start at Irene Village Mall, then head south up and down Cornwall hill on the gravel bits next to the road. Turn left before the railway bridge to get us to Smuts House. Just before the turn-in to Smuts house itself, we head east into the veld and up the kopje to the right. (Nice rocky climb). Follow the jeep track / rocky singletrack up and down for about 10 km to a three-way split on the jeep track. If you turn right (south-east) there is an additional 10 km loop around the next kopje in sight of the railway line and the Cullinan road. Turn left (north-west) and around the new power distribution site being constructed. About a kilometer next to the cullinan road, past St Georges Hotel, brings you to the road bridge over the highway.

Before the Wooden bridge was washed away, we used to turn left into the veld, just where the barrier of the bridge starts, and the cycle between Cornwall hill estate fences and the highway, crossing at the wooden bridge and then up the hill (nice leg-stretcher climb next to Cornwall hill wall) and back to the Mall.

Now with the wooden bridge damaged, cross the highway on the road bridge, down the hill until you cross the river on the tar road. Just past the bridge over the river turn left into the bush, under the highway and then up the Cornwall hill section as above.

We cycle in a group and have never encountered any nefarious creatures, but I am aware that there have been incidents in the vicinity of the route in the past, so be vigilant and I'd suggest cycle in a group.

Edited by Cloudbase999

If you are in Cape Town over the weekend:

Calling all Cape Town Cyclists!

Annual Cape Town Christmas Teddy Bear Ride 2013, 14 Dec.

The idea is more of a get together and enjoy a morning out. The ride is not taxing at all and is meant for everyone, including little people and of any fitness level, just to get out on a bike and ride. It is a great way to meet fellow cyclists and do something for charity. We meet at the Seapoint VA and ride to the Camps Bay Vida.

Get your teddy bear and lets cycle …..

The charity chosen : http://mecministries.co.za/ray-sunshine-house/

Saturday 14 is the proposed date. The 16th is a public holiday and most folk will already be heading out on holiday, so Saturday morning seems the most viable.

As mentioned the idea is for the ride to be family friendly, so the little ones can join in.

Meeting Place: Virgin Active Seapoint

Time: 09H00

Heading to Vida at Camps Bay, nice and easy so anyone of any fitness, in any shape, on any pedalled machine can join.