Cycling world Championships - GLASGOW 2023 - Road racing

Vetplant

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it just me that felt Pog opened up his sprint against Mads really early? Mads had to follow and while the early going was good for him as his pure power in a sprint is better than Pog's, but Pog just outlasted him and towards the end Mads flagged while Pog stayed strong and pulled ahead.

20 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

Was it just me that felt Pog opened up his sprint against Mads really early? Mads had to follow and while the early going was good for him as his pure power in a sprint is better than Pog's, but Pog just outlasted him and towards the end Mads flagged while Pog stayed strong and pulled ahead.

Super Mads was cooked...

He did SO much work keeping the race together in the early/mid laps and then went with every move later on.

He over did it a bit I think and the sheer pace the top 3 put out later in the race buried him

That was such a fun, amazingly exciting bike race to watch. I was hooked 

44 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Super Mads was cooked...

He did SO much work keeping the race together in the early/mid laps and then went with every move later on.

He over did it a bit I think and the sheer pace the top 3 put out later in the race buried him

That was such a fun, amazingly exciting bike race to watch. I was hooked 

1 hour ago, lechatnoir said:

If you read Poggi's comments after the race....."Two dead men sprinting".  He said it wasn't even what one can call a sprint.
That was how tired they were.

14 hours ago, Underachiever said:

What about Cx, Road and XCO next weekend?  Only one other rider did - Pauline FP in 2014

No disrespect to PFP but the women's peleton talent pool is way shallower (currently).

With the CX, Road and MTB worlds I don't think anyone has ever done a double in a single calendar year before*.

in 1975 Roger de Vlaemink won CX and came 2nd on road.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCI_Road_World_Championships_–_Men's_road_race

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCI_Cyclo-cross_World_Championships_–_Men's_elite_race

*Mercxk didn;t race cross I guess, actually only won the Road worlds twice (not sure how many times he entered)

Jasper Stuyven averaged 350 watts for the last 4 hours with a normalised power of about 420ish, assuming he weighs about 77 kgs. That'll warm me up!

He was the only top 10 racer who shared his Stravus stats.

Beautiful racing.

Edited by 'Dale

24 minutes ago, PappaWatTrap said:

Anyone know where one can see the highlights?

UCI holds onto broadcasting rights like their balls. They only give them out to the highest bidder, even if the highest bidders media service sucks (flo bikes etc.).

These scummy media companies then want a return on their investment. Hence, they lock the race behind an exorbitant paywall, only giving us a little taste of the event to try and tempt us into buying their service.

Basically, UCI is greedy, media companies are greedy, and the consumer gets screwed. The UCI and media companies have no faith in growing the sport so they milk it for all its worth for a quick buck.

1 minute ago, peepeekaitjie said:

UCI holds onto broadcasting rights like their balls. They only give them out to the highest bidder, even if the highest bidders media service sucks (flo bikes etc.).

These scummy media companies then want a return on their investment. Hence, they lock the race behind an exorbitant paywall, only giving us a little taste of the event to try and tempt us into buying their service.

Basically, UCI is greedy, media companies are greedy, and the consumer gets screwed. The UCI and media companies have no faith in growing the sport so they milk it for all its worth for a quick buck.

which is exactly the reason why we couldn't watch the XCM marathon yesterday morning.

1 hour ago, PappaWatTrap said:

Anyone know where one can see the highlights?

GCN+

But some say it’s not worth the money and hassle to jump through the VPN hoops. 🙃

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

No disrespect to PFP but the women's peleton talent pool is way shallower (currently).

With the CX, Road and MTB worlds I don't think anyone has ever done a double in a single calendar year before*.

in 1975 Roger de Vlaemink won CX and came 2nd on road.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCI_Road_World_Championships_–_Men's_road_race

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCI_Cyclo-cross_World_Championships_–_Men's_elite_race

*Mercxk didn;t race cross I guess, actually only won the Road worlds twice (not sure how many times he entered)

True, but to win the Worlds across the 3 disciplines do take some doing!!!

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

which is exactly the reason why we couldn't watch the XCM marathon yesterday morning.

I thought it was just the Scot’s being stingey with the GBP