Road bike oversized pulley system

Miccie

Hi. Out of desperation, I recently had to replace my 11 speed DI2 Dura Ace inner derailleur cage, and due to lack of parts in SA as I believe Shimano no longer supports 11 speed, I had an oversized pulley cage retrofitted.

It looks very nice, I must say and there's no problem with shifting, however I noticed a distinct difficulty in climbing. (I ran out of gears), which wasn't previously a problem.

I'd like to know if a larger pulley wheel would have an effect on gear ratio, and if so is there a fix for this? Do I now need to replace my cassette and chain as well?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It shouldn't have any affect on gear ratios. The front chainring will turn the rear wheel according to tooth count. The pully is a chain guide. A rollout using old cage and new cage should be the same.

9 hours ago, Miccie said:

Hi. Out of desperation, I recently had to replace my 11 speed DI2 Dura Ace inner derailleur cage, and due to lack of parts in SA as I believe Shimano no longer supports 11 speed, I had an oversized pulley cage retrofitted.

It looks very nice, I must say and there's no problem with shifting, however I noticed a distinct difficulty in climbing. (I ran out of gears), which wasn't previously a problem.

I'd like to know if a larger pulley wheel would have an effect on gear ratio, and if so is there a fix for this? Do I now need to replace my cassette and chain as well?

Thanks in advance.

Is the chain not too short ?

2 hours ago, BikeisLife said:

OSPW should make climbing very slightly easier as rollover is a bit smoother, definitely not harder. 

Tisk tisk snigger snigger snoooooort

The chain needs an extra link added 

b screw might need to be turned out to max to give the upper guide pulley clearance so that the chain does not engage with the sprocket and pulley wheel simultaneously.

other than that you should not be having any other problems with gearing unless the derailleur cannot get the largest sprocket 

3 minutes ago, droo said:

But it's SCIENCE!

You even get faired ones now, so you don't sacrifice aero for chainbendyness gains.

You mean those ones that add 20w at 45km/hr while sipping a beer over a braai with mates?😂

6 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

You mean those ones that add 20w at 45km/hr while sipping a beer over a braai with mates?😂

Come on .... SURELY you have access to the secret low friction oils that borders on mechanical doping .... :P

7 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Come on .... SURELY you have access to the secret low friction oils that borders on mechanical doping .... :P

😂 I have access to a lot of things but a box of lies is where I stop short….

tou know those three laws of thermodynamics that can’t be violated well ya those okes selling those OSP rape those laws with every new product. We should have frictionless bikes by now

Edited by DieselnDust

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

😂 I have access to a lot of things but a box of lies is where I stop short….

tou know those three laws of thermodynamics that can’t be violated well ya those okes selling those OSP rape those laws with every new product. We should have frictionless bikes by now

I call bull dust, powerbalance bracelets, fad diets and the R21 000/liter chain lube are exempt from science...