[Event] The 36ONE Challenge

Dryland Events

Just now, gemmerbal said:

I have a video I made halfway up Rooiberg, but it contains some swearing… 🤣🤬

Ha Ha ja I may have thrown a few expletives at the mud - Standout memory is a group of about 20 people after the horrible half meter deep drif full of mud just before rooiberg standing around cleaning the mud from between everything so that the wheels could at least turn and one guy was having a complete sense of humour failure!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I finished it last year but it was a proper slog and not pleasant at all. If there'd been a friendly car at Calitzdorp I would have gotten into it

You are a better man than me. 

Just now, Mamil said:

Ha Ha ja I may have thrown a few expletives at the mud - Standout memory is a group of about 20 people after the horrible half meter deep drif full of mud just before rooiberg standing around cleaning the mud from between everything so that the wheels could at least turn and one guy was having a complete sense of humour failure!

Might be me… 🤣🤣🤣

Looks like it might just be very pleasant riding weather - not too hot or cold - some light rain today it seems.

Wind might be a bit of a bugger - at least until Louvain - headwind all the way there.

On 5/23/2024 at 9:16 AM, hboli4 said:

Looks like it might just be very pleasant riding weather - not too hot or cold - some light rain today it seems.

Wind might be a bit of a bugger - at least until Louvain - headwind all the way there.

Ended up near perfect weather conditions! The roads were also in great condition, apart from the few sections towards the end with flood damage.

I really had fun on my first one, everything went exactly to plan for me. Would've been happy to have my finish line beer at 12:00, and actually had it before 10:00 on Saturday morning. 

3 hours ago, JohanDiv said:

Ended up near perfect weather conditions! The roads were also in great condition, apart from the few sections towards the end with flood damage.

I really had fun on my first one, everything went exactly to plan for me. Would've been happy to have my finish line beer at 12:00, and actually had it before 10:00 on Saturday morning. 

Yster 💪💪

Well done 

Concur, it was a good day for riding your bike...forgot how nasty some of those hills are.

Waterpoints and organisation was good as ever.

Will probably be back for another one.

On 5/26/2024 at 8:02 AM, JohanDiv said:

Well done Johan that is a great time! 

My ride unfortunately ended at about 35km with a mechanical. Super bleak and negative - still not over it.

My third one - slower than my first which was disappointing - At control point 2, I thought a sub 21 was on the cards which would have seen me starting conversations with people about their times hoping they'd ask me mine but I'd gone out too fast and just couldn't keep the power pumping for the second half. 

The problem is amnesia - I forget how damned tough the hills are up to Rooiberg and somehow my memory had flattened Rooiberg to a pimple -- which it obviously isn't.

First class water points and control points - every 30km someone greets you like a long-lost friend and offers to lube your chain, carry your bike to the bike stand and fetch you a chocolate and a cup of coffee. 

The route as always is very clearly marked so the cognitive burden of navigation is lifted - it's a terrific way to fall in love with overnight ultra distance riding.

Dryland really does know how to put on a first-rate event.

Highlights included a little field mouse that popped out in front of me while I sat admiring the view and scoffing a handful of jelly babies to celebrate hitting 300km. He gave me a quizzical look, cleaned his whiskers like he was auditioning for a Disney movie, and then we each went on our way.

Also waiting for a mate doing his 5th one on too little training and seeing him cross the line at 10pm Saturday getting his black medal.

I'll do it again for sure. I also want a black medal.

Did the gravel half, 189km with neutral zone of 10km so its 200km...done the full 2ce `15 &`16, both 4th, to old to chase demons around in the dark anymore.

Flippen rough on thin tyres, not complaining, few times I went down the hill to fast and seeing the river beds are not level, had to bunny, hop, skip jump the bike not risking a snake bite on big stones and concrete ledges...

Need to train in the dark for this, forgot people have 3000 lumen lights on their bikes, so when you are pacing there lights overshadow yrs and you cant see sheit...so i wouldn't pace after a while,was blinded by the light in a different way.

I found that the entrants was far less than last year...? No Bavaria 0,0 beers available or cold biogen drinks at registration or finish...what happened....buying a beer at venue on tap cost almost a half a kidney...cycled to the off-sales and bought a quart or 2 instead.

Cant say much for the water points, they were there but was occupied by dead bodies...shame the people I saw walking up Rooiberg...

Calitzdorp was a skop and charge, lubed rear mech and chain and filled btl with premix coke and water....I heard there was nice food, but wasnt there for that. Boo hoo!

The rest of the way was actually pretty during daylight, luckily no mud or full rivers....

I heard a birdy tweet saying SA gravel champs is in Oudshoorn next year....? Lets see

I did the Half as well and was lucky enough to win the Team race, largely thanks to my partner (Mark from Mark's Bicycle Workshop) who was an absolute beast and dragged & pushed me through the last 60km's.

I can't say much about the views because I was staring at a Vittoria terreno tire all day but apparently they were spectacular. We couldn't have asked for better weather or water points, it was superb although our stops were brief.

Dryland certainly know how to put an event together... except for that 10km neutral section that wasn't part of the official 189km, that was a nasty surprise when I was staring at my Garmin praying for the pain to stop.

When they eventually let us loose the start speed in the dark was insane. The gravel okes hit the front and hooked it. The first 20km's passed in a blur of dust and dim lighting. You needed nads of steel to sit a wheel in those conditions and hope to God you don't hit a lurker and end your race before it has really begun.
Strongs to the young lady who lost it coming down Rooiberg, hope you heal up well and you are back on the bike soon.

The choice of my hardtail over my gravel bike was the right one. After racing it a few years ago on my Revolt, I found the hardtail a lot better, especially on the faster downhills. I ran 47C gravel tires so needed to be careful at the river crossings but they rolled beautifully on the open road.

In agreement with those beer prices, that was a joke. I don't need fancy Belgium beer after a race, Castle Lite will do just fine thanks.

Sadly the numbers were down a lot on previous years. I'm not sure if that's related to the risk of poor weather, price of the entry fees or the poor economy or a combination of them all but the event certainly deserves to be supported based on the organizing alone, it was excellent.

9 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

I did the Half as well and was lucky enough to win the Team race, largely thanks to my partner (Mark from Mark's Bicycle Workshop) who was an absolute beast and dragged & pushed me through the last 60km's.

I can't say much about the views because I was staring at a Vittoria terreno tire all day but apparently they were spectacular. We couldn't have asked for better weather or water points, it was superb although our stops were brief.

Dryland certainly know how to put an event together... except for that 10km neutral section that wasn't part of the official 189km, that was a nasty surprise when I was staring at my Garmin praying for the pain to stop.

When they eventually let us loose the start speed in the dark was insane. The gravel okes hit the front and hooked it. The first 20km's passed in a blur of dust and dim lighting. You needed nads of steel to sit a wheel in those conditions and hope to God you don't hit a lurker and end your race before it has really begun.
Strongs to the young lady who lost it coming down Rooiberg, hope you heal up well and you are back on the bike soon.

The choice of my hardtail over my gravel bike was the right one. After racing it a few years ago on my Revolt, I found the hardtail a lot better, especially on the faster downhills. I ran 47C gravel tires so needed to be careful at the river crossings but they rolled beautifully on the open road.

In agreement with those beer prices, that was a joke. I don't need fancy Belgium beer after a race, Castle Lite will do just fine thanks.

Sadly the numbers were down a lot on previous years. I'm not sure if that's related to the risk of poor weather, price of the entry fees or the poor economy or a combination of them all but the event certainly deserves to be supported based on the organizing alone, it was excellent.

CONGRATS !!!

Saw the pic of you and Mark on the top step.  WELL DONE !!

5 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Well done manne, you did us north of the boereworsgordyn proud 👊

The rolling start strategy is a tad of a mess, since the pace vehicle goes off at 50km/h, causing the "startline" to spread over a few kilometers. They must get the lead-out vehicle to pull the whole bunch together 500 meters before the actual start.

Water points in my opinion were excellent. Those people sit there for close on 24 hours and they cheer on, encourage, give crap advise when asked how far still to go BUT they are champions. Never a shortage of food, gels, drinks or encouragement.

Road surfaces in the latter parts of the route showed serious decay due to the rains a while before. I made it through the rock garden 40km's out and this damn thing is still haunting me. What a nightmare on a rigid bike.

We could not have asked for better weather conditions.

Great event !

49 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Congrats on winning the team event, its a monster route whatever bike you choose 👍

My perspective on the gravel bike was a bit different though 😀 Had an easy time behind the lead-out vehicle and given it was my 2nd event on a gravel bike it was quite enjoyable to see the mtb's pop out of the bunch one after the other before the race event started...

By my estimate there was at most one mtb among the Top 15 (despite the majority or riders being on mtbs), I was about an 1h30m faster on my gravel bike than on my mtb 2 years ago. Was faster on my gravel bike on every single Strava segment, only thing I would say is that the last 40km was more fun on the mtb as at this point on the gravel bike I was feeling every rock and corrugation shuddering my bones. At that point faster did not = more fun.

Congrats on everyone that finished! It's a proper achievement.