the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

49 minutes ago, Rockid said:

A rider disappearing from the scene after such a big breakthrough performance. Strange indeed 👀

Amy has been racing for a helluva long time. Like 15 years ish. 

She is in her mid 30s (I'd guess 34/35), has 2 x SS world champs to her name and certainly didn't breakthrough into the scene last year.

Absolutely no shade or side eyes to throw on this one

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going into the next 3 days if we just take the top 2 mens teams I believe it will come down to who of the 2 weaker partners is the strongest weaker partner and how the stronger partner manages their respective partner.

Looking at it, Matt and Nino are in the driving seat and it's for Nino to get rid of Matt & Howie while managing Fini.

In the ladies race baring illness or mechanical I cant see Ghost losing this. They created a gap and now are managing it very well. today they responded to and neutralised any attacks. They seem to have the power to dictate alittle. 

However, its 2min to 2nd, as we saw today in the mens race, that means little when it comes to Epic in a single stage and can be eliminated very quick.

I am for one looking forward to the racing ahead in both categories. 

7 hours ago, tinmug said:

Likely not critting Grotts per sé, but the (limited) choice of partner. Beers is clearly far stronger than his partner ... but then it seems Spez must ride with another Spez (which is of course a tad limiting).

Question:
What happens when the leaders pull in? Presumably the humans (after interviews etc) get massages etc, but would would typically happen to the bikes on a daily basis? Clean obviously, but what sort of maintenance? Then what prep for the rider for the next day?

And while I am holding the microphone, I would like to have an auto-mute button for Mr Know-it-all-ramble-off-the-statistics-ad-nauseum-and-always-manages-to-somehow-extend-a-simply-three-word-sentence-to-five-minutes-of-stating-and-restating-the-blindingly-obvious. Apart from that minor annoyance (pro tip: sit a few minutes behind the live feed and you can skip those bits 😆) I find the YT feed pretty good, considering the vast logistical constraints. Bart is a great addition and Spitz knows her stuff (with her highly entertaining German translations). Good stuff, appreciated the audio (99.7 % of it) and the visuals (when we actually have visuals). Uhm ... have a C172 fly circuits overhead providing signal?

If you're referring to the more verbose of the 3 commentators I couldn't agree more. Just rehashes things with big words. I also wish Gerald wouldn't wax so lyrical but I guess that's his stock in trade ...

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Again, not sure why there’s this idea that Grotts isn’t up to the required level. He’s not holding Matt back…

Young Howard at today's post race interview looked like he'd gotten the fright of his life...maybe he saw some of his ancestors ...I don't think he's weak, I just think Matt is in the condition of his life.

6 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Young Howard at today's post race interview looked like he'd gotten the fright of his life...maybe he saw some of his ancestors ...I don't think he's weak, I just think Matt is in the condition of his life.

Matts comment in that interview "not taking risks trying to hold Nino wheel on the descend knowing that I could easily pull them back on the flat", was absolutely boss! 😎

1 hour ago, nathrix said:

From her facebook:

...taking some time off to look after my mind and heal my body after a taxing few months 🫶🏻
Sadly it meant scratching world champs off the calendar which has been very difficult but sometimes you need to be realistic and most importantly kind to yourself.
Thanks @symbtech_efort @freewheelcycology and coach @reecemcd1 for your support and understanding!
@freewheelcycology
@symbtech_efort
@perigonproperty
@rh77cycling
@specializedza
@vo2_sh
@uswesports
@capecyclesystems

She's basicall been off the scene since her brand new Specialized S-Works Epic (was not even a month old) got stolen in June last year on a Friday night in the quaint Belgium village of La Roche-en-Ardenne mid-race. It was one of 2 bikes that got stolen. Bloody thugs :cursing:  That could have been the tipping point.

Thanks, I lost touch with her as I was also not riding much middle of last year. Needed a mental break . I hope she comes back. She’s a great personality to have in the sport

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Amy has been racing for a helluva long time. Like 15 years ish. 

She is in her mid 30s (I'd guess 34/35), has 2 x SS world champs to her name and certainly didn't breakthrough into the scene last year.

Absolutely no shade or side eyes to throw on this one

I agree and I wasn’t alluding to any shade although many cape epic riders are looking for it right now. Was just genuinely interested because I’d bump into her and William regularly out training and for the past 9 months almost nothing 

23 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Thanks, I lost touch with her as I was also not riding much middle of last year. Needed a mental break . I hope she comes back. She’s a great personality to have in the sport

She's being missed at the Epic, that's for sure 

36 minutes ago, babse said:

Matts comment in that interview "not taking risks trying to hold Nino wheel on the descend knowing that I could easily pull them back on the flat", was absolutely boss! 😎

Yeah, he's riding so well. Pulled that 7 seconds back like nothing. When he gets those legs going he's a machine!

Matts numbers today… 7w/kg for 5mins and 5.5 for 60mins… and at his weight, that’s a lot of watts. Poor drivetrain… 😜

2 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Matts numbers today… 7w/kg for 5mins and 5.5 for 60mins… and at his weight, that’s a lot of watts. Poor drivetrain… 😜

Makes you wonder how Fini could break it…

7 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Makes you wonder how Fini could break it…

... he must have a better coach. 😆😉