the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

5 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

Yes, in the daily highlights package they perhaps named the age cat winners once. 

BTW, why did Bart B not ride this year? His "pigeon chest" is looking worse as time goes on.

Shoulder operation earlier this year 

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

This

I think everyone agrees it would be good to see a more rounded coverage, the real challenge is getting that to the right people.

I guess it would also be important to know what the numbers look like in terms of engagement - Number of Saffas, spanish etc and who engages in the non live stuff.

Are we, those watching most years, the actual target market? Is it worthwhile for them to go through the processes for a handful of people who likely won't buy entries down the line?

I'd guess these are all things the company can look at after the feedback and suggestions have reached the right people

I reckon once the choppers are out the way they should throw a few drones up to get coverage of rest of the field. There were no drones which I suppose is due to concern with choppers still in the air. And maybe attach a few go-pros to riders for an entry reduction ?! 

36 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

QED!

Screenshot_20240325_125956_Chrome.jpg

So a poor person can thus never be a real mountain biker? I have all sorts of problems with the above statement by Burry. Maybe he never knew how the entrance fees and equipment prices would spiral out of control, and thus out of reach for the average person. That statement might have held water then, but not anymore.

47 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

QED!

Screenshot_20240325_125956_Chrome.jpg

1 minute ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

It still holds water for me. Burry never mentioned that was the only race that determined whether he classed someone as a true mountain biker, merely one of them.

What Buff said, I doubt Burry or anyone meant it was the only race.

Yes. I know I am gonna rub a few people up wrongly with that statement. And everybody are entitled to their opinions. I have lots of respect for Burry. Visited his home at Port Shepstone and his memorial, and my 2 sons rode the MTB track at his home.

For me there is no real or not real MTBer. If you rocket up at Jonkers with an old 26er and ride a few trails there I will respect you just as any other person that pulls off a new Spez Epic from the bike rack on his Porche. We cannot start making little cliques to classify MTBers. We all love riding our bikes on trails.

Edited by dev null

In a weirdly roundabout way, I have no affinity towards anyone having to be a 'real' anything.

A 'real' mountain biker because you can suffer? Eish..... Lest we all forget, Burry was 25 when he died. I'd not quote the wisdom of a 25 year old kid, regardless of how good they are/were at a sport. I'm sure the sentiment was sincere and I'm sure he meant well by it, but it just isn't something we should revere.

I also don't buy in to anyone having to prove anything to anyone in any field to earn 'respect'. 

It's a weird thing that people feel they need to endure voluntary hardship in order to garner support in an imaginary pecking order. 

If it isn't fun or you aren't doing it for your own benefit or introspection, I'd question the motives.

3 hours ago, saturdayknight said:

So many riders dropped out with heat stress - mediclinic apparently was struggling to find hospital beds after day 4 - 40 odd riders in hospital with kidney failure / heat stress - thats not counting all the riders in the race village hospital on a drip. Heat acclimatisation for me seems to key to making it through if this race is held in Wellington / Tulbagh area - my Garmin read 39 degrees with no wind going up the Alp de Huez to Cliffhanger. Was brutal. I did quite a bit of heated yoga going into the Epic and I think this helped, but us back markers are riding in the heat of the day whereas the pros are already done and dusted.

Interesting tit bit of information

At least two teams from Ceres withdrew on Day 4, due to the heat.

Theses are LOCALS that did all their training in this climate !!

Doubt anybody expected so many consecutive HOT days ....

1 hour ago, saturdayknight said:

I reckon once the choppers are out the way they should throw a few drones up to get coverage of rest of the field. There were no drones which I suppose is due to concern with choppers still in the air. And maybe attach a few go-pros to riders for an entry reduction ?! 

Previous two years had a fair bit of drone coverage, in the single track sections

1 minute ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Sorry snowflakes, I'll take my coat and hat ... 

I think people can have a different opinion than others without being Snowflakes and/or other derogatory terms.

Are you offended by it? 😉

Just been sitting next to 6 Chinese riders at the *Waterfront who obviously rode, then there are the other obvious foreign riders milling about. Point being, with the currency where it is at, I can't see why a profit making company like the Epic wont do everything to make sure it cant maximise the spend from those with hard currency and promote the event to that audience.

Also seemed to me to be a very large Spanish speaking contingent, supported by the number of enthusiastic posters in the Youtube comments, they seem to love the race. Maybe some Hermida wackyness in the race commentary booth would be in order, he could comment in Spanglish alongside Sabine who was great.

On the patriotic side - Matt is the best Epic rider in the world. Candice is of the best Epic riders in the world (just needs a stronger partner choice, which is also a skill of Matt's).

*Edit: context

Edited by tubed

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

In a weirdly roundabout way, I have no affinity towards anyone having to be a 'real' anything.

A 'real' mountain biker because you can suffer? Eish..... Lest we all forget, Burry was 25 when he died. I'd not quote the wisdom of a 25 year old kid, regardless of how good they are/were at a sport. I'm sure the sentiment was sincere and I'm sure he meant well by it, but it just isn't something we should revere.

I also don't buy in to anyone having to prove anything to anyone in any field to earn 'respect'. 

It's a weird thing that people feel they need to endure voluntary hardship in order to garner support in an imaginary pecking order. 

If it isn't fun or you aren't doing it for your own benefit or introspection, I'd question the motives.

Burry’s comments reflected the views of his sponsors at the time. Those statements came at a time when mtb was at a popularity peak and there seemed unlimited desire for mountain bikers to participate in. Mtb stage racing became the new golf course for Selling banking and asset management products to other corporations and well healed individuals including farmers and land owners through whose land the epic now navigated. It was all very deliberate