Random Morning in the South

sierrrd

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, sierrrd said:

Some shots were made by Chris Hitchcock over the weekend between Glencairn Beach and Dido Valley. I live in Glencairn and can say this is what every morning, especially at the weekend looks like. Careful out there, mofos. 

https://www.facebook.com/690453962/posts/pfbid02iQB6YPcHUHHFZ1oodf6bGwqgqA3swACMkYHy3rvwFxktpfmVN995yTYxoRZb9FGWl/ 

425617874_10159860835663963_4954074038913427986_n.jpg

topic title slightly misleading, not exactly a "random morning", but "bluesky sunday a month before the Argus". It is peak cars vs bikes season, so this is a big volume day.

21 minutes ago, mikkelz said:

No wonder the economy is screwed. Those okes should be grafting first thing on a Monday morning!

you just need to go and spend some time at Surfers Corner in Muizenberg on a weekday to see how cape town works. Lots of people having a surf before getting to work midmorning.

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

I did a peninsula loop on the 14th January and that whole stretch from kalk bay right into Simonstown was beyond dangerous. I’m not sure if it was just the last of the festive season so busier than normal or if that is the norm these days but yeah, I felt a bit unsafe. Obviously now with Argus coming up, I expect that road to be packed full of cyclists. But yeah my experience has kinda put me off it and I much prefer riding over Llandudno.

I will also add that when a cyclist stays as far to the left as possible, for me personally I think it invites a car to take an already tight gap. So when I ride a road where there is no shoulder, I make sure that the car is not going to take any stupid chances because the only way he can pass me is to go half on the oncoming lane or just be patient and wait for safe moment to pass. People might disagree here but that for me is much safer. Everyone needs to be more tolerant which is obviously easier said than done. Cyclists should not be riding 3 abreast but at the same time, vehicles need to be more patient.

That particular stretch of road is so popular and is buzzing with people cycling, running, walking their dogs etc, it’s actually pretty sad there is no protection for cyclists.

I do the same, but you still get the odd a$$hat that thinks you should not be on the road and close passes you, but they are fewer than those that try and squeeze past because you are far left.

Unfortunately in group rides there are always those that take it a little to far, I think for the most part you'll see the majority of the group behaving. The bigger the group, the more of them taking it to far. Its the nature of any group gathering.

Who was the Karen that wasted his whole day taking photos of cyclists for the sole purpose of posting them and a moan on social media. 

It's funny that MOST of the photos show cyclists with NO cars behind.

NB: most cyclists are dicks on the road!

1 hour ago, mikkelz said:

No wonder the economy is screwed. Those okes should be grafting first thing on a Monday morning!

In Slaapstad ... :eek:

17 minutes ago, Andreas_187 said:

Who was the Karen that wasted his whole day taking photos of cyclists for the sole purpose of posting them and a moan on social media. 

It's funny that MOST of the photos show cyclists with NO cars behind.

NB: most cyclists are dicks on the road!

I think this!

and majority of what's happened on bikehub for last week or so... @Robbie Stewart and @nonky touches on it slightly on the dangerous area thread...

Does people really have nothing better to do, I'm probably gonna sound like a hypocrite now but everyone really needs to chill the phuck out... take a deep breath and not complain about everything especially here on Bikehub. 

In the time Chris (whom i have, and slightly less now, i respect) did he help or educate any of these cyclists. How about some posters stating cyclists share the road... It really shows how backwards our society is... for me this is the same as driving past when those cyclists are attacked with bricks etc. 

It's take me and you to make the difference by actually doing something constructive... The rest is all just hot air on social media which fuels more hatred and anger

2 minutes ago, Meezo said:

Does people really have nothing better to do, I'm probably gonna sound like a hypocrite now but everyone really needs to chill the phuck out... take a deep breath and not complain about everything especially here on Bikehub. 

Yes, people need to chill 100%.

Like this dude . . . sorry @Meezo, I couldn't resist. This chap looks like he is about the crack skulls and take numbers.

To be fair though, they are about the only crew riding properly.

image.png.13045bce4b864bce65b60605fd263266.png

Disclaimer: In no way is this an attempt to support any narrative that suggests fatalities of cyclists are justified. I'm a cyclist and I support staying wider of the rider.

With that said. 

When I moved to JHB I couldn't believe cyclists would just occupy an entire lane on the road and simply park a support vehicle to screen them from traffic. It's also common to see a lone rider, riding along slow AF with a big car moving behind them. Essentially blocking the way for other cyclist and cars who are trying to get on with their day.

Then there is the issue of guys crossing the barrier line on open-road races, which is quite frightening. A guy will cross the white line and try to move up in the bunch. And I will be watching biting my teeth as oncoming cars get closer. You would think this brave soul is risking his life to go and pull a turn in the front. Wrong! He just did all that to only continue sucking wheel the entire race.

Then there is the issue of cars with bike racks that are so aggressive towards cyclists on the road. Some of the worst drivers also live among us, hopefully not on the hub.

Edited by Ncayi

Just now, Robbie Stewart said:

Yes, people need to chill 100%.

Like this dude . . . sorry @Meezo, I couldn't resist. This chap looks like he is about the crack skulls and take numbers.

To be fair though, they are about the only crew riding properly.

image.png.13045bce4b864bce65b60605fd263266.png

Their club has actually come out and said their riders need to be considerate of other road users.

...but agreed he could do with a right arm flick followed by the next rider overtaking him and him cracking a smile for his efforts 

5 minutes ago, Ncayi said:

..... snip ....

Then there is the issue of cars with bike racks that are so aggressive towards cyclists on the road. Some of the worst drivers also live among us, hopefully not on the hub.

This must be thee most comical comment on this thread.

It has been established that a portion of cyclists "own the road" on their bicycles .... surely you cant expect these cyclists to behave any better behind a steering wheel ....

Sadly, this is a HUMAN thing.  Nothing to do with 2 or 4 wheels.  Some just dont play nicely.

58 minutes ago, Ncayi said:

Disclaimer: In no way is this an attempt to support any narrative that suggests fatalitiescyclistslist are justified. I'm a cyclist and I support staying wider than the rider.

With that said. 

When I moved to JHB I couldn't believe cyclists would just occupy an entire lane on the road and simply park a support vehicle to screen them from traffic. It's also common to see a lone rider, riding along slow AF with a big car moving behind them. Essentially blocking the way for other cyclist and cars who are trying to get on with their day.

Then there is the issue of guys crossing the barrier line on open road races, which is quite frightening. A guy will cross the white line and try to move up in the bunch. And I will be watching biting my teeth as oncoming cars get closer. You would think this brave soul is risking his life to go and pull a turn in the front. Wrong! He just did all that to only continue sucking wheel the entire race.

Funny how that works! I was once buzzed the official Tygerberg MTB club bakkie, while on my MTB. He must have though I looked like I enduro flick in berms :D 

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

This must be thee most comical comment on this thread.

It has been established that a portion of cyclists "own the road" on their bicycles .... surely you cant expect these cyclists to behave any better behind a steering wheel ....

Sadly, this is a HUMAN thing.  Nothing to do with 2 or 4 wheels.  Some just dont play nicely.

In reality it’s the reverse, most people start out or get back into cycling and bring their bad driving behaviour with them. All anyone needs to do is observe driver behaviour at any intersection or school run.

If anything, cycling (even running) for the most part improves people’s driving habits. Sometimes nothing can account for a lack of upbringing unfortunately. 

Ah, good old motonormativity at it again.

image.png

Every road user should have the right to the full lane, if they choose.

Sadly this sounds extreme but it really makes all the sense in the world.

Just because a vehicle can be bullied to the side of road doesn't mean it should.

In fact, the highest priority road users should be the most vulnerable.

image.png

Also...

image.png

And if the big motorised vehicle drivers are really offended, maybe they can help lobby for some separated pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure. A common cause we can all bond over.