Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

Got a cut in my rear tyre on my shakedown ride. Plugged it....had to use the biggest plug in my kit. Should I ride with a plugged tyre, or use the mtb tomorrow? I don't have a spare tyre, although I have tubes. I haven't ridden a plugged tyre for a whole 100km before. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Thomo said:

Something I may be willing to try. 👍🏻

11 hours ago, Thomo said:

Something I may be willing to try. 👍🏻

I been running their MTB version...their proof test at their booth was pretty impressive!

43 minutes ago, Vaultboy said:

Got a cut in my rear tyre on my shakedown ride. Plugged it....had to use the biggest plug in my kit. Should I ride with a plugged tyre, or use the mtb tomorrow? I don't have a spare tyre, although I have tubes. I haven't ridden a plugged tyre for a whole 100km before. 

I assume you mean the normal worm plugs? 
no experience using them on road bike but I’ve ridden with one on my MTB for ages, if it holds pressure and it’s secure shouldn’t be a problem?

Edited by cadenceblur

8 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

I was just out of camera to the left of this pic. They turned around after taking the pic just as I got there. 

So close ....

Would have been good to meet you 👍

Hi there,

Does anyone in the gardens area have a spare inner tube. Just punctured both of mine in a rookie tyre change

Thanks,

Blaine

21 minutes ago, Blaine V said:

Hi there,

Does anyone in the gardens area have a spare inner tube. Just punctured both of mine in a rookie tyre change

Thanks,

Blaine

If you don't come right, get to the start early. There are usually mechanics at the start. They should have.

2 hours ago, Vaultboy said:

I would rather remove the plug and patch the tire from the inside using a normal tube patch and cement. I have had a plug that popped out on my road bike. If that happens on route (or if patching is not an option), as last resort just put in a tube.

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

Ive trimmed mine as small as it will go…but it’s still coming off and into my pocket as soon as im through the gates lol. 

I trimmed it and stuck it to my head tube 👌🏻

Well & was about as sketchy as predicted, but no actual crashes that I saw. (Good job sheriff @Bub Marley)

Too slow out into the wind for my legs to make up the deficit, so rolled in 3:02.

good morning out though, even if suikers was a sufferfest 

Edited by MongooseMan

1A was quite safe I think despite a lot of people still not understanding the concertina that happens on hills into a headwind.

I didn't have legs or appetite to chase wheels so I let them go and noodled along being picked up by random groups and did 3.19

1 hour ago, MongooseMan said:

Well & was about as sketchy as predicted, but no actual crashes that I saw. (Good job sheriff @Bub Marley)

Too slow out into the wind for my legs to make up the deficit, so rolled in 3:02.

Unlucky, I actually found & to be way better than 1C was last year.

Hospital bend cones I think are much better solution than leaving it open. That definelty made that section feel safer.

Ocean view to sun valley…. WTF! Those ******* roadwork things in the middle were an accident waiting to happen

2 hours ago, MongooseMan said:

I did 3:01 so just missed out as well. Gutted but still a big jump from my previous best of 3:25. 

Yeah & was freaking sketchy as hell. Luckily everyone seemed to stay upright. I rode well but I know where I need to be better and where I lost my sub 3. That descent after Smits just absolutely killed me. As a 58kg/1.65m ride I really struggled to hold onto the bunch. Seemed like raw power was just king there and I just burnt so many matches. 

Lots of things to learn but I think positioning is so important. I started midpack in the bunch and just found it so hard to move up towards the front. Lack of space and the main difference here compared to the seeded groups, is that everyone just fights for position. Further back people just allow you to pass whereas here you need to to force yourself through. 

Lots of stuff to work on for future tours but still super happy with my performance. Sucks to miss out by 1 min but it is what it is. 

Also…my freaking computer mount cracked which caused my whole computer to pop out by kommetjie. Road was terrible there and I think went straight into a pothole or something. If anyone picked up a Bryton computer, long shot I know, let me know. Pretty sure it’s smashed into pieces though.