Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

8 hours ago, Denis Dell said:

I just have two issues/questions about the CTCT, why would the organisers only allow one coke and one water at the finish line? I did not need to stop at any of the water points yet I am allowed one coke at the finish? Seriously, that could be done better.

My other issue, the CTCT trust is boasting about plowing in Rx millions into the western cape, why of why can't some of that funds be allocated to fix some of the roads? Friends of mine had some horrific crashes (written off bikes, cracked helmets, personal injuries the works) and I had a close call or two due to bad road surface. Nothing like doing over 50km/h and then hit a a bad section in the tar that takes you airborne, and the altering your voice a few octaves higher for the rest of the day.

Is it just me, or is the above two points also a concern for others?

May be an image of map, road and text that says "EVERYBODT Midwest vs. Everybody @midwestern_ope UK: We drive on the left side of the road Midwesterners: We drive on what's left of the road"

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Denis Dell said:

I just have two issues/questions about the CTCT, why would the organisers only allow one coke and one water at the finish line? I did not need to stop at any of the water points yet I am allowed one coke at the finish? Seriously, that could be done better.

Also keep in mind that the organisers need to plan for up to 53000-ish bottles/tins if every entrant actually rides, finishes and takes a coke and water each. Else they might run out, and people are (justifiably) going to much more unhappy about getting none, than about not getting double because they chose not to stop and take on the route.

So, I only stopped at three refreshment points. 

First I topped up my water bottle at the bottom of the steep part of Smitswinkel. Then I grabbed some Coke by Sun Valley and finally a 50/50 Coke and Water mix at Houtbay.

Took my Coke and Water at the finish, and by the time I got my medal I was holding an empty can and bottle which I binned after the exit.

Then I made my way to the hospitality area where I parked the bike, and ambled over to the beer tent and purchased 2 x 500ml draughts. Found myself a spot on the lawn, sat down and consumed those two beers in record time before I finally succumbed to the most violent cramps I've ever endured.

After willing myself to my feet I made my way back to my bike and my car. Awesome day done. And already I am wondering if this is the year I keep the fitness going and already start prepping for the Karoo to Coast. Mmmmm.

17 hours ago, WaynejG said:

So my daughter chatted with her boss. He knew the E Bike time rules. He traveled from PE to CT with the sole intention of trying to do a sub 3 hour ride. The mind boggles.

Wonder how many of the disqualified e bikers purposely rode to break the timing rule?

Next year he should come down with a Ducati Panigale, maybe he'll finally clock in a sub 3 and be able to brag in front of absolutely no one about his achievement

5 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Next year he should come down with a Ducati Panigale, maybe he'll finally clock in a sub 3 and be able to brag in front of absolutely no one about his achievement

a Vuka scooter will do too....

17 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

this is the challenge with bikes older than 2018, not all can accpet tyres volumous enough to cope with our roads :(

My 2005 9 speed accepts 25's and handles the cr@p roads fairly well...

Most modern road bikes these days take 28mm minimum

The Audax road bikes up to 35mm at least. 

The pure bred aero bikes up to 30c. I really don't think one needs to buy a gravel bike to accommodate wide tires anymore.

After the tour and finding my S.O. on the short route and realizing just how broken my legs were as she dropped me on Edinburgh drive on her Titan nitric ebike, we rode back  on the cycle path taking the Woodstock ramp. Dodge I know but I thought I'd risk that and was sure there would be a police presence there because of the tour. (There wasn't)

This morning as I weaved through the log jam of cars all headed into town I had a mental picture of that first-class piece of infrastructure, a real asset to the city, lying derelict and empty while the roads are clogged and the air choking with unburnt hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide and the picture of Winde crossing the line and just how far away we are from a sustainable, environmentally responsible, health-promoting way of life and how little will, despite the mouthings of politicians, there is to attain this.

How many of the people in those cars would believe that their 40 minute traffic session into the CBD would be a 15 minute morning bike ride?  Andif they knew would they take it up?

Maybe the problem on the cycle lane isn't policing so much as it's that no-one uses it. What if even 20% of the people in the traffic were on the bike lane?

26 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Which restaurant serves these and are they for starters or mains?

I am genuinely wondering though how many guys actually never entered as an E-Bike rider and rode in the seeded bunches. In a few years' time when meeting new cycling mates, as always the guys 1st qu will be "road, MTB or Gravel?" and then hearing then when hearing them brag about their sub3 CTCT times, pretty sure the next qu will be "Ebike?" 

3 hours ago, Vaultboy said:

You've already got a very nice dualsus, so instead of getting two new bikes, I would recommend getting a really good gravel bike, with an extra road wheelset. Then you're set for XC, gravel and road. 

I cant spend more money unfortunately, So if I need something else Ill need to sell my bike unfortunately.

Or I miss read your message, did you mean, sell the dual sus and get a gravel bike with road wheels ?   
Or did you mean keep the DS and get a gravel bike + road wheels ? 

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

Have you seen the roads in the rest of the country? When last have you been to the EC? GP? NW? LP? hell…london UK?? Lol
The roads here are great.

We all know some of the roadworks around the peninsula are due to recent flooding and fires. A few months ago roads around chapmans peak and other parts weren't even open, not even traversable due to landslides. I think they did pretty well given the hand they were dealt. 

Im sure we can buy you a coke and a water if it will make things better? 

Okay, so looks like my question escalated very quickly.... 😉

Also, to be clear, I was not referring to the section slipping off the mountain due to the fire and the rains.  I think the organisers did a great job ensuring rider safety at that point (and at most other traffic furniture).  I was referring to the section going past Capri, which resulted in many a puncture.

Either way still remains a great event and would definitely ride it again (even if that means I need to mount a cooler box onto my bike next year to keep my drinks cool)

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

So, I only stopped at three refreshment points. 

First I topped up my water bottle at the bottom of the steep part of Smitswinkel. Then I grabbed some Coke by Sun Valley and finally a 50/50 Coke and Water mix at Houtbay.

Took my Coke and Water at the finish, and by the time I got my medal I was holding an empty can and bottle which I binned after the exit.

Then I made my way to the hospitality area where I parked the bike, and ambled over to the beer tent and purchased 2 x 500ml draughts. Found myself a spot on the lawn, sat down and consumed those two beers in record time before I finally succumbed to the most violent cramps I've ever endured.

After willing myself to my feet I made my way back to my bike and my car. Awesome day done. And already I am wondering if this is the year I keep the fitness going and already start prepping for the Karoo to Coast. Mmmmm.

I suspect you never had enough beer, hence the cramps. I had 5 and had zero cramping issues ☺️🙃

38 minutes ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

I cant spend more money unfortunately, So if I need something else Ill need to sell my bike unfortunately.

Or I miss read your message, did you mean, sell the dual sus and get a gravel bike with road wheels ?   
Or did you mean keep the DS and get a gravel bike + road wheels ? 

Your initial post below indicated you were thinking of buying two bikes - either Gravel+Hardtail; or Road+Hardtail. I expected you would keep that nice Titan Cypher you built, so I suggested only buying one bike instead of two - a gravel bike, with an extra set of roadwheels. If you need to sell your Cypher to fund the purchases, then I would suggest a get a trail hardtail and a roadbike. I imagine you want to be able to do XC, gravel and road riding, so I was thinking of two bikes that cover all three disciplines. 

4 hours ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

I am also back all the time to see if there is something I missed 😂 Going to test some bikes over the next 2 weeks, just not sure if I want to go Gravel bike and Hardtail or Road Bike and Hardtail..

Choices 😵

1 minute ago, Vaultboy said:

Your initial post below indicated you were thinking of buying two bikes - either Gravel+Hardtail; or Road+Hardtail. I expected you would keep that nice Titan Cypher you built, so I suggested only buying one bike instead of two - a gravel bike, with an extra set of roadwheels. If you need to sell your Cypher to fund the purchases, then I would suggest a get a trail hardtail and a roadbike. I imagine you want to be able to do XC, gravel and road riding, so I was thinking of two bikes that cover all three disciplines. 

Same page, thank you. 
Yes unfortunately Ill need to sell my Titan, otherwise I am too deep in 😵 
The reason behind keeping one mtb is just to go on rides and stuff with friends (Just needs something with at least front suspension, so was thinking a HT then plus road, because it does not make sense to buy a HT and a gravel bike.

Will see what floats on bikehub 😎

IMG_4987.jpeg

Cypher with locked-out suspension and skinny wheels. Sure, not as light or slippery as a gravel bike but a dirt-cheap why to get your current setup to be a little more suitable for the Argus.

Plus, all those pot holes ... and schnoep Coke vendors and all. 😆