First Look: Specialized Epic 8

News bot

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

You know what annoys me much more than R300k hyperbikes?

The fact that next year, I'm going to need to fork out close to a bar for a new (low-mileage) car. Bikes are cheap in comparison.

I can show you a low mileage SUV for under 300k ...

I wonder if this thread is replicated in the Carhub / fishinghub / househub/ Padelhub ?  pushing innovation always is sold at a premium - Range Rover for 3.3 million - you can buy quite a few epic 8's for that or a pretty decent house - so the price really is irrelevant - either you can - or your can't - some can some can't. 27 million for a Camps Bay house - just a roof and a few walls - does nothing more than  1 million RDP house - but maybe wifi-automated electric lights? your either can or you can't.  As much as I can't afford and never will 27mill for a house, 3.3 for a car or 300 for a bike - such is life - appreciate the item for what it is - enjoy the trickle down effect  for your own price bracket and if you really want one - save for it , if not then I guess we can continue to fill up threads and complain on fishinghub as much as we want about the cost a Shimano Stella reel $1400 = ZAR23800 - it does not even catch the fish!  appreciate the beauty , innovation - stop hating your pet hate company and buy what you can afford/ want / like , and let those who can and want to pay for what they want - and when you see them - ask them how it rides! 

59 minutes ago, DrRichard said:

I wonder if this thread is replicated in the Carhub / fishinghub / househub/ Padelhub ?  pushing innovation always is sold at a premium - Range Rover for 3.3 million - you can buy quite a few epic 8's for that or a pretty decent house - so the price really is irrelevant - either you can - or your can't - some can some can't. 27 million for a Camps Bay house - just a roof and a few walls - does nothing more than  1 million RDP house - but maybe wifi-automated electric lights? your either can or you can't.  As much as I can't afford and never will 27mill for a house, 3.3 for a car or 300 for a bike - such is life - appreciate the item for what it is - enjoy the trickle down effect  for your own price bracket and if you really want one - save for it , if not then I guess we can continue to fill up threads and complain on fishinghub as much as we want about the cost a Shimano Stella reel $1400 = ZAR23800 - it does not even catch the fish!  appreciate the beauty , innovation - stop hating your pet hate company and buy what you can afford/ want / like , and let those who can and want to pay for what they want - and when you see them - ask them how it rides! 

Very true, those R295k bikes aren't really aimed at "average Joe's" and no one is forcing you to buy them. We all like nice stuff (I hope), even the more affordable bikes are damn good these days and the fact that there exits expensive bikes out there doesn't detract from your  

I do doubt that these type of debates is happening is PrivateYacht Hub, SuperCar Hub or PrivateJet Hub but I won't be joining those anytime soon.

Edited by hansolo

1 minute ago, hansolo said:

I do doubt that these type of debates is happening is PrivateYachtHub, SuperCarHub or PrivateJetHub but I wont be joing those anytime soon.

^ those guys aren't behind PC's on le bikehub moaning...correct!

(they are out there dodging jan taks etc...)

If you can’t afford it or like it, no need to bash it and justify why it’s over priced as a reason why you won’t buy it.

Spez will sell these bikes at this price in South Africa and every where else. I know a shop here that has an order list they can’t supply already on 1st drop. 
they also selling 15-20k euro custom built up road bikes daily. Its pretty incredible to see.

as with anything, there is a product for everyone and that’s great. 

34 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

If you can’t afford it or like it, no need to bash it and justify why it’s over priced as a reason why you won’t buy it.

Spez will sell these bikes at this price in South Africa and every where else. I know a shop here that has an order list they can’t supply already on 1st drop. 
they also selling 15-20k euro custom built up road bikes daily. Its pretty incredible to see.

as with anything, there is a product for everyone and that’s great. 

Which color and spec did you go with?

2 hours ago, Headshot said:

I can show you a low mileage SUV for under 300k ...

Yah, not one I'd be interested in. The one I bought in 2014 was already more than that.

I'm looking at a 2yr old with 20k-30k mileage, anything more than that is already too old because I'll be keeping it for 5-6 years. I want current-gen tech, otherwise it's going to feel **** in 2030.

I'd be downgrading (and not enjoying it, so there would be no point) without features like adaptive cruise, adaptive LEDs, adaptive dampers, auto-park, autonomous braking, mirror puddle lights, sunroof, heated seats and a proper sound system. You may see these as silly and a waste of money much like the Epic 8, but once you've lived with them for a few years your mindset changes.

It's silly hating things which are nicer than you can afford. They exist for a reason, and that reason usually has absolutely nothing to do with "rich people are idiotic".

Just now, J Wakefield said:

Same colour as your sarcasm. 

that's really uncalled for, lighten up.