HUB Member for 3hrs - wants to buy my bike!?

Cleaver

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/bike-hub-pay

You're going to have to explain that bit in bold to me.

If you are selling something, and I want to buy over BikeHub pay, we are in different provinces, we agree on amount yada yada, you send me the parts, but I "don't recieve" them, I tell BikeHub I never recieved th bits, you have no actual proof if I recieved them or not, the signed courier waybill means someone got it, not necessarily me.

Yes some couriers you need a pin to recieve the goods, or PostNet you need your ID, but I regularly get stuff from couriers without needing any proof of ID, Scammers can take advantage of those situations 

20 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

If you are selling something, and I want to buy over BikeHub pay, we are in different provinces, we agree on amount yada yada, you send me the parts, but I "don't recieve" them, I tell BikeHub I never recieved th bits, you have no actual proof if I recieved them or not, the signed courier waybill means someone got it, not necessarily me.

Yes some couriers you need a pin to recieve the goods, or PostNet you need your ID, but I regularly get stuff from couriers without needing any proof of ID, Scammers can take advantage of those situations 

but then you as the seller can prove to BH it was delivered to the address from the courier platform communications? Anything sent with a courier could be open to this abuse/fraud.

Is this a theoretical loophole you're scared of or real world experience?

Just realised I've been a member here for 18 years. About time I scam someone! 😂

In all seriousness just use Bikehub Pay. Especially if they're in a different town. 

41 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

but then you as the seller can prove to BH it was delivered to the address from the courier platform communications? Anything sent with a courier could be open to this abuse/fraud.

Is this a theoretical loophole you're scared of or real world experience?

I received a small package from "The Courier Guy" last week.

Actually, it was delivered at home and my wife received it ..... NOPE !!!

"We sent you and email with a PIN number .... cant hand over the package without the PIN"

This email was sent the day off the delivery ....

For crying out loud ..... now my wife needs to phone me, while I am busy with a group project (often I am meetings where I cant answer my phone) .... need to log in to check my private emails for this infernal PIN ...

So for those that WANT belts and braces .... The Courier Guy is your go to company.

For those that dont have time for this during the day .... AVOID these clowns !!!

PS - Would have made the world of difference if they sent out that PIN email the day before ....

So I want to start cycling and have cool legs like my tjom. But I  don't have a bike. My tjom says, "go onto the hub, you can get a good deal". So I join this thing, and nobody wants to deal with me, because I'm guilty until proven innocent.

Why is this even a thread? Would the OP please just say 'thanks okes' I'll use BHP',  already.

Or am I missing something?

6 minutes ago, buckstopper said:

So I want to start cycling and have cool legs like my tjom. But I  don't have a bike. My tjom says, "go onto the hub, you can get a good deal". So I join this thing, and nobody wants to deal with me, because I'm guilty until proven innocent.

Why is this even a thread? Would the OP please just say 'thanks okes' I'll use BHP',  already.

Or am I missing something?

He will reply on FRIDAY MORNING .... :P

20 hours ago, ChrisF said:

"We sent you and email with a PIN number .... cant hand over the package without the PIN"

For crying out loud ..... now my wife needs to phone me, while I am busy with a group project (often I am meetings where I cant answer my phone) .... need to log in to check my private emails for this infernal PIN ...

So for those that WANT belts and braces .... The Courier Guy is your go to company.

For those that dont have time for this during the day .... AVOID these clowns !!!

PS - Would have made the world of difference if they sent out that PIN email the day before ....

I've had The Courier Guy deliveries accepted for me without the pin.

Just last week my Rockbros were delivered to my work whilst I was on leave, no pin was needed even thou they sent one to me via Email AND sms

6 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I've had The Courier Guy deliveries accepted for me without the pin.

Just last week my Rockbros were delivered to my work whilst I was on leave, no pin was needed even thou they sent one to me via Email AND sms

Thats probably what might have happened if my wife could not get hold of me .....

Very silly system ... rather, very impractical.

22 hours ago, ChrisF said:

You usually receive the pin early in the morning about 7ish. they also send it VIA SMS. It really only takes about 15 sec to forward a SMS. if you are unable to do that then maybe you are the clown

3 minutes ago, Irvin85 said:

You usually receive the pin early in the morning about 7ish. they also send it VIA SMS. It really only takes about 15 sec to forward a SMS. if you are unable to do that then maybe you are the clown

Too late for those of us that leave home at 6:00 .... hiehie ....

SMS would have been PERFECT !!  Sadly they only sent it via email.

I am used to other couriers that keep me posted via SMS throughout the process.  Not this time.

23 hours ago, ChrisF said:

If your phone number is linked you receive a text with the pin too ( which you can just forward) dont be so backwards chris lol.

Courier guy is by far one of the better couriers to send stuff around in SA. Personally, I use them exclusively.  The rest are all ‘clowns’ imo. I’ve waited longer for crap to get couriered from the southern suburbs than CG from other provinces. Fastway, city sprint, aramex, dawn wing etc etc are all useless.

I get most of my stuff delivered to my work and items are received by the security, the PIN has never been requested. 

my rule of thumb when buying or selling is speaking to the other party first.you can ask the right questions and the answers will take you far if you are speaking to a scammer or not. normally prefer face to face and if not possible bikehubpay. apart from only being a member for a short time are there any other reasons why the deal seems dodgy?

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

If your phone number is linked you receive a text with the pin too ( which you can just forward) dont be so backwards chris lol.

Courier guy is by far one of the better couriers to send stuff around in SA. Personally, I use them exclusively.  The rest are all ‘clowns’ imo. I’ve waited longer for crap to get couriered from the southern suburbs than CG from other provinces. Fastway, city sprint, aramex, dawn wing etc etc are all useless.

As the BUYER I provided all my details to the business.

Not sure where things went sideways ....