the unofficial UCI Mountain Bike World Cup thread

nathrix

22 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Hope he goes to Specialized and they drop Koretzky. 

If he leaves,…… Rockrider Decathlon is the likely destination 

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Not aure why I cant see Nino doing another, but what do I know. You're (sadly) right about Koretzky. 

During commentary they said Nino is doing a press conference next week sometime, I presume it will be about his future

4 hours ago, shaper said:

During commentary they said Nino is doing a press conference next week sometime, I presume it will be about his future

Yea , he said so as well during an insert before the race started. This was on the Whoop staylive livestream 

Any news as to if Candice Lill is going to a pro team next year? She really deserves a top ride. If nothing yet, I'd love to see her replace Kate Courtney at Scott Sram as she's just never delivered plus they spend a lot of time in SA.....

4 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Any news as to if Candice Lill is going to a pro team next year? She really deserves a top ride. If nothing yet, I'd love to see her replace Kate Courtney at Scott Sram as she's just never delivered plus they spend a lot of time in SA.....

Doubt she replaces Kate but will be lekker to see her join her! 

There's relative freedom and autonomy in being a privateer, even though budgetary and infrastructural high performance support will be a challenge. Well done, Candice Lill and the team that surrounds her.

Alan's performance arc - simply phenomenal. Well done to the rainbow jersey and the team that surrounds him.

Both athletes are simply remarkable considering their homes are at the southern tip of Africa and not in the comfort and convenience of European culture and geography. The thing about South Africans - we are built tough.

Pic: @piperalbrecht

Image-35.png

Edited by 'Dale

6 hours ago, MarcoDeS said:

Doubt she replaces Kate but will be lekker to see her join her! 

Does Kate have it to go again? 

15 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Does Kate have it to go again? 

Next Olympics is in the states. They’ll want her there. Kate has done well for Scott from a marketing perspective. 

On 10/3/2024 at 8:02 AM, Shebeen said:

Really? I thought they did a pretty good job and it was the UCI who chose not to come back

Not half wrong, from an organisational point of view and spectator value, it was a big success. Many of the teams and WC regulars compared it to Nove Mesto. 
A big help is that it was fully open to the public and there was no admission fee. Largely thanks to ABSA as well.
Unfortunately, the event did run a deficit, not entirely unexpected but also not sustainable over a number of seasons and no one was expecting to be balling in profit.
People seem to forget that an event is like any other business, it does need to be sustainable, even at a marginal loss or to break even initially. As well as the fact that the economy was heading into a recession at that time. It is difficult to find a common ground and shared risk in such a scenario. 
The reality is that the decision came down to a mutual agreement not to pursue. Of course, this was also pre-pandemic, which in turn changed everything else.
The so called narrative is as simple as that. 

1 hour ago, tinmug said:

@Action_Man

1) Huge kudos for an earth-shattering performance. Just brilliant, and produced enormous pleasure watch that meteoric rise.

2) Feel free to prove to 25-plan theories wrong with facts. 😋

Thanks, It has been a big year off the back of a decade's worth of hard graft to get there. In terms of Candice, there have been 3 or 4 key factors that have come together to made the world of difference for her this year and finally deliver on the engine she's had all along. 

Regrading what Candice, Alan and other riders are doing next season, I do know the answers to all of the above, but it's not my place to say on a public forum, it's up to those individuals to announce in their own due course and via the appropriate channels. 

When I find the time (which has been seldom this year) I do find the various theories and opinions on this forum interesting / entertaining to read, the same as those that I see posted on World Cup XCO races themselves, the nature of the courses, what the UCI / WBD should / shouldn't be doing, CSA, etc.

@Action_Man

Thanks for the reply. I have absolutely zero doubts about the gargantuan efforts that very special cyclist lady of yours had to invest to get here. Seriously, hats off.

As for the future: obvs understand radio silence entirely, and only hope Candice gets the resources she deserves. 

👏

Not sure how that helps any Road ambitions since Jayco has a full roster…

the suspense is killing me😂