Stolen Van Rysel RCR Pro + Orbea, R30k reward

People broke into my garage in Vredehoek (City Bowl), Cape Town, approx 22h30 Thursday May 30 and stole these bikes. The Van Rysel has a cracked front wheel. My wife and I are supposed to by going to France and Italy next Sunday for a cycling holiday so this isn't helpful :( If anyone sees these anywhere please let me know. 0827745306. Thanks.

I am offering a reward of R20k for the Van Rysel and R10k for the Orbea. There can't be many Van Rysel's in South Africa.

The Van Rysel has Ultegra Di2 12spd (52/36, 11-30 cassette) dual Favero Assioma power meter pedals and a Stages left arm power meter. The thief does not have the Di2 charging cable or the magnetic chargers for the pedals. There was also a Wahoo ROAM V1 cycle computer on the bike. Shimano C36 wheelset. Front and rear lights. 

The Orbea has Ultegra mechanical 11spd with compact crank and 11-34 cassette. The rear wheel is carbon with brand new conti GP5000. Front wheel is American Classic aluminium. Garmin Edge 130+ cycle computer.

WhatsAppImage2024-05-30at22_54_56.jpeg.d6afdd2cc2421c60043da9efa6980d5d.jpeg

The Orbea:

WhatsAppImage2024-05-30at22_49_29.jpeg.781e0893deeeef8a0587256100a3102c.jpeg

Another Van Rysel pic:

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-30 at 22.54.56-2.jpeg

Edited by davidtinker

Sorry to hear this. Which area were the bikes taken from would be useful in determining where they might have gone? 

Hopefully you are insured and can get 2 new bikes before you go. 

20 minutes ago, Eugene said:

Hopefully you are insured and can get 2 new bikes before you go. 

I am insured but I can't buy the Van Rysel here. Bought it online in the UK and my sister brought it over for me. We will have to try find a bike for my wife in the next week. She is 164cm and 50kg so it's not that easy. I still have my old bike so will have to use that.

51 minutes ago, davidtinker said:

I am insured but I can't buy the Van Rysel here. Bought it online in the UK and my sister brought it over for me. We will have to try find a bike for my wife in the next week. She is 164cm and 50kg so it's not that easy. I still have my old bike so will have to use that.

pop me a message bud. i have a old colnago that might fit her and will not cost a fortune.

should get you by if you need.

alternatively you can hire really decent bikes while over there? - thats another great option

1 hour ago, Furbz said:

alternatively you can hire really decent bikes while over there? - thats another great option

Genuine qu, What are the chances of finding decent bikes to hire in France, in July. Don't they have some small 3 week race thingy happening LOL.

OP Sorry to hear about your loss, That Van Rysel has to pop up somewhere eventually, Considering there are no stockists in CT or the whole of SA as yet, It's going to be a hard bike to get rid of.

i think the more relevant question is - how did the Van Rysel ride?

i'm genuinely curious as its a great option when compared to other more expensive brands

A group of four of us rode thru Italy last summer from Bari to Venice. we bought excellent value grave bikes from Decathlon in Bari (Google reviews of the Triban 520 gravel). Renting a bike is not a cheap option especially decent bikes in summer.

We then sold all of them over about three days on Facebook Marketplace in Venice about 6 weeks later. Highly recommended methodology to bike around Europe especially as some airlines are charging extra now for your bike - Turkish is one.

3 hours ago, Furbz said:

i think the more relevant question is - how did the Van Rysel ride?

i'm genuinely curious as its a great option when compared to other more expensive brands

Fantastic to me but my old bike is an Argon 18 Gallium rim brake. So not aero and a bit old. The Van Rysel is noticeably stiffer and much longer (for same "size"). I could have one hand in a drop and the other fishing sweets out of my back pocket, no problem. Not a good idea with the Argon 18.

Aero wise it is drastically faster. Z2 200w got me 35km/h easy in the drops. And it climbs really well. Approx same weight as the Argon 18 (7.4kg) but just feels faster uphill. Maybe because it is so stiff?

I booked a bike on the 17th of july at the top of Alpe d'Huez in 2021, so it's possible, it's just that if you want to rent for a while, it gets very expensive.

I ended up bringing my road bike there and left it at my parents, bought another one here as Spez is cheaper here than in Europe it was a win-win.

Going to look at selling my road bike there this year before it gets too old, the next few years I'll probably travel with my gravel bike there rather than leaving a bike there to collect dust 11 months/year.

If anyone here wants to buy a Van Rysel, now is the time, have David collect, ride it in and ship it back to SA for you !

Edited by Jbr

If I can buy one when I am there and sell my Argon 18 I will do so .. but there is never any stock:

Screenshot2024-06-03at06_20_05.png.48e0cfe66b867446ce34326d32e0d266.png

On 5/31/2024 at 10:59 AM, Furbz said:

pop me a message bud. i have a old colnago that might fit her and will not cost a fortune.

should get you by if you need.

Thanks very much. We went to visit Avron and luckily he had a nice bike in her size. Cost more than what we will get from the insurance but it's a decent upgrade.