Shaun Nick Bester - Cycling SA announcement

bolt67

5 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

No need to be condescending. 

Naming him is dangerous territory. Even more so if he is actually innocent. 

just look at the reaction on this thread. 

I apologise if you think I was condescending. My intention was to be helpful.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

I am not arguing, however I believe CSA may have erred in naming him publicly. This is very dangerous territory and sans a criminal conviction it’s thin ice ground. 

Not it’s not, it’s standard SASCOC protocol which is handed down from the IOC. Note they make no mention of criminal behaviour , only that he is in violation of the non harms to children statute. This sanction will support a criminal conviction if the parents pursue a charge.

What a scumbag. 

Out of curiosity, is he any relation to Nick Bester (Comrades winner/Tri athlete)?

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

5. there is a high likelihood SAPS will bungle any investigation. If he first had to be found guilty of criminal activities and then banned he would be allowed to continue operating . If found not guilty he’d be free to continue his activities and more children would be harmed. 

And the way CSA has been maligned on this forum instills you with confidence. 

the alleged 3rd party is also not mentioned. 

53 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

No other SASCOC branch will ( we would hope) take him on basis the CSA sanction. 
the criminal proceedings would need to be initiated by the children’s parents. Do they have the money to do so? We don’t know. 

Why would they need money? 

23 minutes ago, Ispeed_V said:

What a scumbag. 

Out of curiosity, is he any relation to Nick Bester (Comrades winner/Tri athlete)?

Shaun-Nick is Nick Besters Son

4 minutes ago, PregoRoll said:

Shaun-Nick is Nick Besters Son

Thanks. 

And to think that Nick snr is such a nice guy

22 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Genuinely curious to understand how you think CSA should have handled this differently? From the statement and @amac's additional clarification it appears that a proper and thorough disciplinary process was followed? Where in the process do you say they went wrong?

On 6/3/2024 at 2:40 PM, Skubarra said:

Genuinely curious to understand how you think CSA should have handled this differently? From the statement and @amac's additional clarification it appears that a proper and thorough disciplinary process was followed? Where in the process do you say they went wrong?

Don’t get me wrong, CSA have a protocol to follow and they did. I have no love for folks that abuse kids or animals or even other adults. There is a special hell for them. 

The sanction as applied if guilty is the correct one. 

Naming publicly is dangerous territory regarding grooming.  That’s my only point. And, I hope they have laid a criminal case in this regard. Crimes of this MUST be reported and the state MUST investigate them and prosecute where there is a case. This is not an option. Our kids MUST be protected. That’s the duty of the state. ( after all, the state and its functions is the upper guardian of children) 

Edited by IceCreamMan

8 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Naming publicly is dangerous territory. 

I get your sentiment here but I don't see that they had any other option once he was found guilty (and lost his appeal). How do you apply a lifetime or 15 year ban anonymously? CSA also has responsibility to its other members especially junior cyclists.

44 minutes ago, Scott roy said:

Considering this was reported in Feb of last year I am disturbed by the fact that he has still been at liberty coaching and so on since then. 

Agreed, but you can't throw someone under the bus on receipt of an anonymous tip off, this is not the wild west. These things take this long, simply because they take this long. In an ideal world you would get the witnesses, have a hearing, make an independent judgement and get the press release out in max 6 weeks. BUT any sort of justice process with appeals this 16 month period seems quite normal. From the info in the press release, CSA ticked all the boxes required.

It does seem disturbing that someone under this sort of cloud would surely know they are guilty and probably not going to get away with it yet seems to ignore it publicly. Coaching career is toast (assuming jail time doesn't even happen) and will battle to shake off this reputation no matter what he does next.

YET, this whole time life goes on, keep on coaching and racing, keep socials up to date like everything is hunky dory. I'd like to think most people would see the writing on the wall and shut up shop and go as quietly as possible. 

Then again, the chance exists that this announcement brings more cases out into the open now. There might be some Brakpan wheelspanner justice in the parking lot soon. 

10 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Agreed, but you can't throw someone under the bus on receipt of an anonymous tip off, this is not the wild west. These things take this long, simply because they take this long. In an ideal world you would get the witnesses, have a hearing, make an independent judgement and get the press release out in max 6 weeks. BUT any sort of justice process with appeals this 16 month period seems quite normal. From the info in the press release, CSA ticked all the boxes required.

It does seem disturbing that someone under this sort of cloud would surely know they are guilty and probably not going to get away with it yet seems to ignore it publicly. Coaching career is toast (assuming jail time doesn't even happen) and will battle to shake off this reputation no matter what he does next.

YET, this whole time life goes on, keep on coaching and racing, keep socials up to date like everything is hunky dory. I'd like to think most people would see the writing on the wall and shut up shop and go as quietly as possible. 

Then again, the chance exists that this announcement brings more cases out into the open now. There might be some Brakpan wheelspanner justice in the parking lot soon. 

I understand that full well, but sometimes you have to be rather safe than sorry. It’s not a case of did he maybe alter something like his taxes, this can have a catastrophic impact on peoples lives. 

1 hour ago, IceCreamMan said:

Because you cannot by law name/mention a minor. 
For good reason.

37 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

YET, this whole time life goes on, keep on coaching and racing, keep socials up to date like everything is hunky dory. 

On his IG account; completed the Monster on Saturday; the day before the press release.

IMG_4938.png.c2927cab8689338ff1c182541874e67d.png