Downhill Riders,including current SA National Champ, overlooked for World Champs

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at UCI points (It is a UCI World Champs event after all)

Minnaar is 18th

Kirk is 124th

Garlicki is 128th

Erlangsen is 154th 

Pottie is 158th 

XC is well represented IMO with all our heaviest hitters

One definitely can't really argue with that team, surely?

I don't see a medal coming from it, but it looks like the strongest/best people in the disciplines are all there.

I'm surprised Gayton has approved such a big team!! 😝

Good to see the youngsters well represented. 

Five positions are available in elite, are we saying that only a single one is up to 'par' .. especially in the context of self funding. 
Theo Erlangsen qualified for two World Cup events this year and had an invite to RedBull Hardline, if that isn't good enough, then there's a problem. 

But, DHI is a blip so why bother questioning anything right. 

If the riders are 100% funding it themselves, why are CSA being gatekeepers and denying the riders the opportunity to go when the spots are available. It's bull****! CSA not adding any value.

4 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Five positions are available in elite, are we saying that only a single one is up to 'par' .. especially in the context of self funding. 
Theo Erlangsen qualified for two World Cup events this year and had an invite to RedBull Hardline, if that isn't good enough, then there's a problem. 

Okay but where is he ranked 

WC racing is as much as its about consistency, saying he wants to race world champs because he gooied kliphard at hardline isn't what world champs is about.

I understand my view isn't perfect and that the ideal solution is maybe a grey line between my view and yours but this is RSA and here you get it done without the gov involvement or you don't.

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

Have they ever ?

This is hardly a new issue 

not really their function to add value either but to be the gatekeeper and administrator which they do as best they can. Without CSA our riders would have to emigrate and represent another country.

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

This is all emotion. having more spots available isn't a guarantee of representation. There are criteria that need to be met and by taking out a racing license you sign up to and agree to those criteria. Rules can't be changed simply because they were not understood or no one bothered to read them.

and self funding is not even a consideration here. The argument smacks of self entitlement.

Its UCI World Champs not the Fun Ride World Champs

The participation debate on World championships should really not even be a debate. if you are not ranked in the top 100 than I am sorry to say, you are not good enough to participate in the World championships. It is not the World Participation championships. 

The same with the Olympics, that is for the Elite of the Elites, hence the strict qualification criteria in most sports. 

1 minute ago, Irvin85 said:

The participation debate on World championships should really not even be a debate. if you are not ranked in the top 100 than I am sorry to say, you are not good enough to participate in the World championships. It is not the World Participation championships. 

The same with the Olympics, that is for the Elite of the Elites, hence the strict qualification criteria in most sports. 

hmm. but how do you get ranked in the top100 if you can't get points from WC?

for instance Theo Erlangsen came 37th last year at world champs, but is ranked out of the top100. He's does other events that are not points ranking. You're happy he stays at home even though it won't cost CSA anything more than the ink on a rubber stamp?

Take athletics for example 100m sprint only has 56slots available at the Olympics. to qualify you had to run 10.00. In the US trials, there was 12 men that ran the qualifying time in the semi finals.

There will be only 3 that goes to the Olympics even though any of the 12 men could potentially medal. 

10 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

hmm. but how do you get ranked in the top100 if you can't get points from WC?

for instance Theo Erlangsen came 37th last year at world champs, but is ranked out of the top100. He's does other events that are not points ranking. You're happy he stays at home even though it won't cost CSA anything more than the ink on a rubber stamp?

Why is he not riding the UCI downhill events? Do he stand a chance of medaling?