Can road riding cause a loss of mtb fitness?

Ryan

15 hours ago, Ryan said:

Probably  a dumb assumption...A couple months back I changed my mid week mtb training rides (on the road) to road bike training rides. The mileage and climbing are virtually the same but I seem to have gotten slower on the mountain bike.  Anyone had a similar experience or am I missing something?  Basically my weekend mtb rides are tougher over same route..

Nah doubt it. If anything it might be that you've lost a bit of peddling technique from so much road that it feels weird. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The same thing happens to me. If I spend too much time on the road bike, my first few rides on the MTB feel like I'm pedaling through peanut butter. I'm not sure why but it's probably a variety of factors rather than just one... longer cranks, smaller gears, different setup, heavier bike, using slightly different muscles (more core and upper body) etc.
After a few rides your body adapts and it generally gets better and better.

Doing the same route on a road bike, where you used to ride a mountain bike, will be quicker, meaning you'll spend less time training. So yes, it can make you slower in comparison.

I've also noticed a fall off in MTB speed after lots of roadying or groadying - My pet theory about this is 1- that my technical skills (a grand term for what I do on a bike I realise) get rusty and 2: the road riding is largely steady state long efforts whereas climbing on the mtb involves repeated high watts (switchbacks, getting over rocky bits etc) 

Course for course, Intensity Factor on a MTB is always going to be higher than a road bike for the same rider/athlete.

Its just psychologically easier to push into tempo on a MTB, knowing you're fighting the bobbing suspension, significant rolling resistance, geometry and bike weight.

I've personally been able to spend more time out on a MTB than a road bike, probably due to comfort and  "stoke" that keeps the momentum.

As someone who trains alone, road riding is quite boring too.

I had the same issue but later on I realized it was a mental thing because I was so use the the easier higher speed on the road bike. 

Edited by Jimmy 2.0

It shouldn’t cause a loss of fitness. Of course the effort level on a mtb is much higher compared to a road bike but as long as you mix it up the 2 should complement each other. 

7 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

as long as you mix it up the 2 should complement each other. 

In the end it depends on what your TSS target for the week is.

if you're already a performant MTB'er, im sure you would be going for > 600-800 TSS leading up to an event.

in the week of tapering, or post event recovery road can take the edge off while keeping the legs turning, but otherwise i wouldnt look at a road ride.

I have been doing a fixed tar route on my XC mtb during the week, and when I am on song (exclude the last 3 months due to crashes, repairs, winter etc.) I am riding much better on the trails I ride. I have also found that because I ride with a group of mates that includes some e-bike riders, I tend to ride faster when they are in the group and overall that has made a massive impact.

I've always found that a decent amount of road training makes my MTB rides that much better. For instance, after the CTCT training and race my times on pedally descents are better and I feel fitter and faster everywhere. This could just be because my fitness has been improved a lot over the norm by teh road riding. That said I think what you're experiencing is more likely just that extra drag and slower speeds on the MTB which is a sharp contrast with the easy cruising on the road bike.

Training with a power meter will level the training field. 200W on MTB during endurance training will still be 200W on the road bike during endurance training. Your speed will just be higher on the road bike.

Also, on real mtb terrain you will find that you will go into your tempo/threshold zones quickly due to the terrain. So keep that in mind when training for a specific event.  Long road miles at steady wattages will help fitness, but will not train your body for the demands of a technical mtb race/terrain.

56 minutes ago, W@nted said:

Training with a power meter will level the training field. 200W on MTB during endurance training will still be 200W on the road bike during endurance training. Your speed will just be higher on the road bike.

Also, on real mtb terrain you will find that you will go into your tempo/threshold zones quickly due to the terrain. So keep that in mind when training for a specific event.  Long road miles at steady wattages will help fitness, but will not train your body for the demands of a technical mtb race/terrain.

I dont think the opening poster had concerns about the demands on the body. From what I can tell, he’s already an experienced mtb’er. It’s more the transitioning into road cycling seems to have had an adverse effect on the mtb fitness. That’s what I got from his post.

19 hours ago, Ryan said:

Probably  a dumb assumption...A couple months back I changed my mid week mtb training rides (on the road) to road bike training rides. The mileage and climbing are virtually the same but I seem to have gotten slower on the mountain bike.  Anyone had a similar experience or am I missing something?  Basically my weekend mtb rides are tougher over same route..

I can relate - after roadie season I properly suck on a mtb even though I should in theory have a lot of base fitness. For me its just that mtb requires a different kind of fitness & skill, the short punchy climbs in lower gears than you are used to, the beating your body takes from the terrain, the concentration required on singletrack. Changing pace all the time and not the consistent cadence & rhythm you would do on a road bike. Usually takes me a week or 2 to adapt.

1 minute ago, Skubarra said:

I can relate - after roadie season I properly suck on a mtb even though I should in theory have a lot of base fitness. For me its just that mtb requires a different kind of fitness & skill, the short punchy climbs in lower gears than you are used to, the beating your body takes from the terrain, the concentration required on singletrack. Changing pace all the time and not the consistent cadence & rhythm you would do on a road bike. Usually takes me a week or 2 to adapt.

Exactly this

I think a lot of it is also mind games. I have had a rough 3 weeks on the mtb. But to be fair the current dirt road status in gauteng is either sand or corrugations with a headwind either way. Pushing the watts on the IDT happily but outside feels like a slog and mentally is killing me slowly.

I do think that your core does get weaker if you not spending time getting abused on dirt, back, arms, stomach etc. It is all extra energy you don't burn as much on the IDT or a road bike.

2 minutes ago, dave303e said:

I think a lot of it is also mind games. I have had a rough 3 weeks on the mtb. But to be fair the current dirt road status in gauteng is either sand or corrugations with a headwind either way. Pushing the watts on the IDT happily but outside feels like a slog and mentally is killing me slowly.

I do think that your core does get weaker if you not spending time getting abused on dirt, back, arms, stomach etc. It is all extra energy you don't burn as much on the IDT or a road bike.

Rain 🌧️ should be on the way for GP - some of the gravel cruising JHB south is great! Thaba trails too.

i was there recently, in still washing my bike off of that red dust 😆