Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

I got doored circa 92 - 93 riding to school one morning. I was between the pavement and the cars to my right approaching the traffic light when suddenly the front passenger door flung open right ahead of me, and before the girl could exit I T-boned that door into oblivion. Apart from some grazes and road rash I was okay. My front wheel was bent, and so was the car door. I picked myself and my bike up, scolded the school girl for not looking and left, pushing my bike through the gates just on the other side of the traffic light. Don't know what happened to the car though. I was lucky.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, V18 said:

I sometimes wonder what the best thing would be if I am forced to accept the cold embrace of a door. Get nicked on the outer edge and maybe get flung into passing traffic or turn into the nook of the door angle/car and take the full sudden decel?

Doors are flung open.!

It happens so quickly, most times you won't have any time to react never mind consider what your best option is.

Having experienced the consequences of being sideswiped I almost want to say turn in toward the car/door but staying as wide from those parked cars as you currently do is probably the best you can do.

MY biggest fear because its so hard to spot it... I take special note of cars stopping and especially once the brake lights go off as they just about to embark. The whole stretch from Camps bay until Waterfront you have to keep your wits.
Closest encounter was with a fellow cyclist, who kicked his door wide open of his SUV on Camps Bay strip, before off loading his bike.... And u think to yourself... "gees u a cyclist and u just did that" 

47 minutes ago, Cappi said:

MY biggest fear because its so hard to spot it... I take special note of cars stopping and especially once the brake lights go off as they just about to embark. The whole stretch from Camps bay until Waterfront you have to keep your wits.
Closest encounter was with a fellow cyclist, who kicked his door wide open of his SUV on Camps Bay strip, before off loading his bike.... And u think to yourself... "gees u a cyclist and u just did that" 

I’d do a U -turn…🤭 and exchange pleasantries, on how we both love bikes and almost only one us gets to take it home without damage. 😂😂😂

It's not just parked cars you need to worry about. Going through Camps Bay people are always jumping out of an Uber while the car is in the road with cyclists flying between the Uber and parked cars

18 minutes ago, Andreas_187 said:

It's not just parked cars you need to worry about. Going through Camps Bay people are always jumping out of an Uber while the car is in the road with cyclists flying between the Uber and parked cars

It sounds like you are talking about the Salt River death trap around the Old Biscuit Mill?

Not just car doors, today we encountered a runner going in same direction who stepped into the road into our path going through Kalk Bay. Without a care in the world, no glance back, and with headphones - so completely cut off, did not even hear us shout!

A mugging in Tokai on the way up to the mast this morning @ about 10:00.
3 x knife wielding youths. Phone and Garmin taken, but not the bike.

These are the bits of info that I have gathered so far...

4 minutes ago, splat said:

A mugging in Tokai on the way up to the mast this morning @ about 10:00.
3 x knife wielding youths. Phone and Garmin taken, but not the bike.

These are the bits of info that I have gathered so far...

On the back of this which I saw on a whatsapp group ... 😡

20240616_191038.jpg

As received on WhatsApp groups, Franschoek pass has had 2 kidnapping incidents in the last 24-72 hours. 

1st incident 

‘Franschhoek pas, taxi met drie swart gewapende mans het my 17:20 van my fiets af gestamp, fiets berg af gegooi, my in die taxi gegooi , en hulle het eers R100 000 gesoek, hulle het tot in Grabouw gery met my , my in die veld gevat, hulle het op die ou einde 50k uit my uit nadat ek rond en bond probeer geld secure, ek ht niks meer gehad, hulle het my GOD dank vry gelaat by BP garage in Grabouw 20:15 , unharmed. ek het immediate transfer gedoen, hulle stel nie belang aan fietse of goed, hulle soek Geld, en baie, hulle is kwaai en gee nie om of jy nie geld het nie, hulle my met geweer gedreig. belowe ek sal fine wees as hulle geld kry. dink hulle is locals by Grabouw maar hulle is van ZIM af, nie SA’

2nd was last night

‘Please take care, my daughter and her friend were hijacked/ kidnapped last night on Franschoek pass. The kidnappers wanted a ransom. They are safe now and not hurt. Not safe to stop there any more’

Confirmed on bikes as well.

Not sure if anyone else has info, same mo by the sounds of it. At first I was not convinced cyclists are being targeted specifically, but now I am not so sure. Seems too much of coincidence that repeat incident in such a short space of time on the same pass. Same perpetrators? 

1 hour ago, Thomo said:

On the back of this which I saw on a whatsapp group ... 😡

20240616_191038.jpg

That reservoir is quite isolated and at 5pm... Flip man!

The tokai incident is scary on a fairly busy day in tokai 

... I'm lost for words on the Franschhoek incidents! Seems like targetted attacks? I dunno!!

30 minutes ago, Bonus said:

Holy ****!

And it was a coin flip if I did Bains or Franschhoek today ....

Surely if someone has a bank account to receive instant EFTs that account is associated with a confirmed Identity document or passport and therefore easily traceable?

Or cloned card/account for once off transfer and draw.