Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

18 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Sure, you make the effort to do all the extra admin. Not everyone is as organised as you 😀, for those people that burner phone is just a nuisance to everyone around them.

I have mixed feelings about that idea, the guy that is mugging/attacking you doesn't know you are only carrying a burner phone so you are no less of a target than the guy next to you. I have insurance for my phone, my health & wellbeing is what I am more concerned about in that type of situation.

I don't care about my phone at all - it's having to put my thumbprint on my banking app and make transfers from my various accounts all linked to one device to someone who has a gun at my head. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who find it ironic that in ZA it is the honest law abiding people who have to use burner phones............elsewhere it seems to be the assassins, druglords and dodgy spies who use burner phones (I have to admit that my knowledge of this is all gained from the movies and Blacklist).

Shall we call it a mugger phone rather? 

46 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I don't care about my phone at all - it's having to put my thumbprint on my banking app and make transfers from my various accounts all linked to one device to someone who has a gun at my head. 

And if the thug with the gun at your head can't get what he wants he is just going to shrug and walk away, at worst maybe shake your hand and congratulate you for outsmarting him?

1 minute ago, Skubarra said:

And if the thug with the gun at your head can't get what he wants he is just going to shrug and walk away, at worst maybe shake your hand and congratulate you for outsmarting him?

actually come to think of it, maybe I SHOULD carry my smart phone, when they look at the negative balances in my banking app they'll feel so sorry for me they might GIVE me money instead. :) 

Just now, Skubarra said:

That's why I have a minor household account linked to the phone - he'll get something for his efforts but giving him access to my business account, personal account, bond etcetera via my main bank's app isn't going to happen. And if he decides he has to shoot me because he's getting a smaller haul than he might have had, then he was probably going to shoot me anyway.

1 hour ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Good point Chris and to be honest, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Tourists wear sandals with white socks, and talk funny ....................... AND they never tour alone. We should be raving about how beautiful Cape Town mornings are this time of year - not this type of shite.

Where is this world heading 😵

I've emailed everyone under the sun who I think may have a chance of doing something about the crazy Franschhoek situation.

I hope you all do the same. Only posting here is not going to make a difference.

Edited by mikkelz

On 6/17/2024 at 12:13 PM, LazyTrailRider said:

Anyone have any more info about this?

Yea that was me.

3 guys with knives jumped going up to the Mast in Tokai. One was in road walking up and turned and charged me with knife and tow others jumped from the bushes on the side. It was on the tar section about 1/4 on the way up.

I tried to turn and fell then they were on me, took my phone, Garmin and Varia, tools, Gilet and arm warmers I had stuffed in my pockets. Kept saying they wanted money but had nothing on me.

They slashed my tyres then ran off on the hiking trail back down to Imizamo Yethu.

Just now, bjnortier said:

Yea that was me.

3 guys with knives jumped going up to the Mast in Tokai. One was in road walking up and turned and charged me with knife and tow others jumped from the bushes on the side. It was on the tar section about 1/4 on the way up.

I tried to turn and fell then they were on me, took my phone, Garmin and Varia, tools, Gilet and arm warmers I had stuffed in my pockets. Kept saying they wanted money but had nothing on me.

They slashed my tyres then ran off on the hiking trail back down to Imizamo Yethu.

Where it happended & where they went.

IMG_0005.jpeg

3 minutes ago, bjnortier said:

Yea that was me.

This really sucks, so sorry to hear about it!

I was planning on a ride at Tokai this weekend, but seems like that is no longer an option. 

I am SOOO over this kuk. I know, we all are. But sheeez, something has to give, or maybe it's time to go into that valley with a sjambok and some other means of handing out a good pakslae.

19 minutes ago, bjnortier said:

Yea that was me.

Scary! Hope you are "okay" (all things considered).