Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

There are many large groups of riders that leave from the Shell petrol station in Moullie Point at all times of the morning. You don't have to hang around long to tag onto the back of a group heading towards Hout Bay. Although it's very safe on your own along that stretch. I even find it safer alone as cars can easily pass you. It gets more hairy in a large group. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Andreas_187 said:

There are many large groups of riders that leave from the Shell petrol station in Moullie Point at all times of the morning. You don't have to hang around long to tag onto the back of a group heading towards Hout Bay. Although it's very safe on your own along that stretch. I even find it safer alone as cars can easily pass you. It gets more hairy in a large group. 

Thank you for the response appreciated

Agreed with Andreas. The Waterfront to Noordhoek and back Atlantic route is as safe as it can be anywhere in the world. I ride it alone without a second thought. Sadly, it is about the only stretch left that I can say that about. Lucky it is the prettiest then!

1 minute ago, DJR said:

Agreed with Andreas. The Waterfront to Noordhoek and back Atlantic route is as safe as it can be anywhere in the world. I ride it alone without a second thought. Sadly, it is about the only stretch left that I can say that about. Lucky it is the prettiest then!

Ja that is safe. I do most of my riding alone. I have some cycling mates and I like riding with them too but the solo riding is something I really enjoy. I don't want to give it up. 

Hope I don't end up a statistic skewered on the sharp intersection of inequality, a lawless culture, ineffective policing, government corruption and a collapsing economy. 

7 hours ago, Andreas_187 said:

That, I ride mostly alone, and most of my longer rides go from table view to Chapman's peak by the V&A or kloof. It's probably the only route I still consider safe

Taxi – cyclist robbed Rhodes Drive
We are pleased to advise that SAPS have found the taxi allegedly involved, made an arrest and are currently looking for a second suspect.
Constantia Watch and controllers in the community control room are pleased that they were able to assist SAPS with crucial information to assist in this matter.

Received on a WhatsApp group I belong to. 

Yes it is good news that these criminals seem to have been caught. But unless the systemic issues underlying the problem are addressed, which they aren't being IMO, there will be more and more of these incidents. It is going to take progressively higher levels of private security, CCTV etc to maintain islands of safety. 

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

Yes it is good news that these criminals seem to have been caught. But unless the systemic issues underlying the problem are addressed, which they aren't being IMO, there will be more and more of these incidents. It is going to take progressively higher levels of private security, CCTV etc to maintain islands of safety. 

I think we all know that in the medium term (25 years), in other words our lifetimes, nothing much will change in SA (for the better), so we must just do what we can to stay safe.

1 hour ago, MTBeer said:

I think we all know that in the medium term (25 years), in other words our lifetimes, nothing much will change in SA (for the better), so we must just do what we can to stay safe.

Ooooooh, but for MANY Saffas things WILL change for the better..........things like Canada, Australia, New Zealand, England, Holland, Germany, even Botswana, Kenia and many other things too! Sad!😟

You do see the Comic Sans, don't you?

Edited by DJR

12 minutes ago, DJR said:

Ooooooh, but for MANY Saffas things WILL change for the better..........things like Canada, Australia, New Zealand, England, Holland, Germany, even Botswana, Kenia and many other things too! Sad!😟

I see the Sans, but it should be Tragic not Comic....

28 minutes ago, DJR said:

OF that list the only country that holds some appeal for me is New Zealand - the notion of living in a country with a detailed and implementable environmental plan, legislation to get rid of cigarettes and a PM who breastfeeds in the UN is very attractive. I have the option open for the next 2 years to to go there but forkit - this is my home.

The UK - no thanks - I reckon they got so many problems ahead and most of them only in their infancy.... 

50 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

I see the Sans, but it should be Tragic not Comic....

Ha ha, true that, there SHOULD be a tragic sans.

Edit: Especially when we talk about the waste of precious human potential through under-education, under-development and squandering the good we have through chasing it away. 

Edited by DJR

On 12/8/2021 at 9:04 PM, Mamil said:

This will not stop me riding that route as I have done however many hundred times my strava says I have. 

The Rhodes/Cecilia area is my main MTB activity area for evening rides. Summer so more people out should make it safer but also attracts the crims. Eish.

Someone needs to design a Pepper Spay / Smoke & Dye bomb that attaches to the bike with a cord connected to the cyclist. (Similar to a kill switch on a jetski).  There would also be a ring pull to activate the device allowing the cord to activate the device when separated from the cyclist.

So when the rider and bike are separated by more than two and a half meters...the bomb goes off spraying everyone within range with a good dose of itchy scratchy coloured dye. If released in a vehicle it would render the car unusable for a few minutes and impregnate the interior by a bright coloured dye. (There could also be microscopic particles present that could identify which cannister it came from therefore giving evidence to police/investigators whose bike was stolen)

Someone needs to run with this idea...if you do I'll take a 1% commission on sales...

Just received a message on a cycling group of a lady who was knocked down by a vehicle at the Llandudno robot around 9am, there were eye witnesses. Prefer not to say exactly what the message says as that is speculation at this point. Also received a photograph taken at the scene. No confirmation of injuries or as to how serious the victim is. That is an extremely fast descent going down from top of Suikers toward Town. Let's hope for the best.

IMG-20211210-WA0024.jpg

Edited by FootballingCyclist