Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

8 minutes ago, Oodles said:

Eye witness account this morning.

so this am while riding up the Nek from Claremont side. about 3 turns from the top i see this taxi slowing down. a few seconds later I see this rider and I shout to him watch the taxi. ...... are about 500m behind me, out of sight. This rider decides to pass the taxi on the left. This is when they open the door and grab him bike and all. they take they bike and toss him out again.

Unbelievable.! 🤬

At what time did this happen?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Oodles said:

Eye witness account this morning.

so this am while riding up the Nek from Claremont side. about 3 turns from the top i see this taxi slowing down. a few seconds later I see this rider and I shout to him watch the taxi. ...... are about 500m behind me, out of sight. This rider decides to pass the taxi on the left. This is when they open the door and grab him bike and all. they take they bike and toss him out again.

HEll no man.... 

Just feels as if the world as we know it is coming to an end..........I need to go climb a mountain or something!🤬

Edited by DJR

From the victim

Just a heads up folks. I was mugged, attacked, bike jacked this morning at 06h15 on Rhodes Drive cycling back from Constantia Nek towards Kirstenbosch. I'M FINE! Just a little shaken. The modus operandi: A grey taxi - was probably waiting at Constantia Nek looking out for likely cyclists. They followed me down the road, overtook me and stopped on a blind corner in the middle of the road. It was too dangerous to pass on the right, so I tried to go past on the left. A guy had stepped out and blocked the road. He then proceeded to manhandle me and bike into the taxi. An accomplice in the taxi was pulling me in as well. I fought them off and landed a few blows. Fortunately I had my helmet on and they were hitting that. I was then shoved onto the road; they grabbed my bike and headed off down the road. The "taxi" is missing some of the passenger seats at the back so it's perfect to load a bike and even rider in very quickly. Thankfully, I was not taken with and not hurt other than scratches. Be careful!

I am so sorry to read this terrible story. I am very glad that you at least are okay but sad to hear that you lost your bike, I'm so sorry. I don't know what is left with regard to safe cycling routes and feeling very despondent after reading this.

News24 actually reported this incident.

Apparently there was another case with the same vehicle ...

I am really sorry to hear about your tragic mugging.

I have been worried as to when someone would use this modus operandi to jack bikes. I is difficult to guard against and I imagine a high success rate for the criminals. 

i would say be careful out there, but in scenarios like this, I am not sure you can prevent it if you are targeted. 

Down in CPT for the week. Any groups leaving from V&A in the mornings. What time around. Would like my daughter to experience Cape Town roads. Reading all the gnarly messages about jackings etc wouldn’t want her to experience this. Whereabout from V&A do riders meet up?

Edited by Riamich