Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

these [                                                         ] and it just [                                                                                                                                                ] [                                                          ]  People really need to [                                                                                                                        ] so that [                        ] like this does not end up being as bad as this [                       ].

I am so over having to mind my P's and Q's when it comes to saying what I am thinking, but [                             ] like these ass holes can do what they want with seeming impunity.

Time to get a gun.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

these [                                                         ] and it just [                                                                                                                                                ] [                                                          ]  People really need to [                                                                                                                        ] so that [                        ] like this does not end up being as bad as this [                       ].

I am so over having to mind my P's and Q's when it comes to saying what I am thinking, but [                             ] like these ass holes can do what they want with seeming impunity.

Time to get a gun.

I got a pistol a few months ago and even though I would love to take it on a ride as protection, it is not so easy.  So far I could not find a practical solution to carry it safely, conveniently and readily available should something happen on a ride.

If anyone have a workable practical solution to carry a compact 9mmP as an example, please let me know.  Please suppress the urge to post previous posted silly pictures (like a auto rifle or shot gun mounted on the top tube)   :) .

• 2 weeks later...

Durbanville side. 

Langeberg rd close to wellington rd. There were some warnings from clubs around. 

This morning my planned ride changed due to weather and had to pass that section. I was over cautious and then noticed guys coming out and checking me out then attempted to make a move. 

Good thing I kinda prepared myself mentally... drove that section pretty slow. Then as they came close a gassed it and sped off. The one guy threw a glass bottle at me in an attempt to stop me. Glad it wasn't even close.

In the end... I'm lucky to get out safely.

I rode that section so many times back in the day but today was my last. 

Safe out there guys!

• 1 month later...

Bikejacking on Albert rd Woodstock yesterday morning at approximately 06:55, corner of Albert & Railway rd, couple of hundred metres before the right turn to the N1. Bike stolen, rider sounds like he's physically ok.

I rode past soon after it happened, so this isn't a firsthand account, but how I understand it happened from mates that were in the group targeted.

Single perp was on the side of the road, he appeared drunk as he was moving erratically. Transpires he was actually preparing his move.

Sounds like he lay down in the road in front of the slow moving group, obviously hoping to cause a crash. Group avoided him so he got up and then repeated the action at the back of the group - sounds like they were a little strung out with a few stragglers off the back.

Single rider couldn't get past him and next thing 4 accomplices appeared, knocked the rider off his bike, wrestled it away from him and escaped with the bike down towards the railway line.

Lot's of conjecture on my behalf, but it seems they were actively targeting a group with the potential of being able to grab multiple bikes in one go. Another mate rode through the area solo a few minutes before, but he would've been moving fairly quickly, and didn't see anything suspicious.

Please make sure to treat the area with caution and try ride through as alert as possible and with intent. 

Edited by NC_lurker
Timing

Bloody hell, I go past there 3 times a week, alone. I always try to ride amongst the cars and taxis when going past the stretch from the N1 turn to Gympie Street. Easy to do later in the day with more traffic

3 hours ago, Andreas_187 said:

Bloody hell, I go past there 3 times a week, alone. I always try to ride amongst the cars and taxis when going past the stretch from the N1 turn to Gympie Street. Easy to do later in the day with more traffic

It's potentially safer later in the day once there's some traffic around. Before 7am on a Sunday that section is pretty deserted.

Indeed, I cycled in the opposite direction by myself at 6:30am on the same day. I use the main road at that time of the morning although it was also very quiet

This section has become populated with informal dwellings.. Main Rd is taking to the same fate. Very soon we will not be able to ride into the city centre safely between 5am and 7am unless using the Freeway which would be illegal :( 

its just not safe anywhere anymore

Went up Helshoogte from sbos side, saw this oke sitting on the left hand side on the grass with hoodie on, told my mate to keep an eye on this guy as he looks up to no good. I went past 1st and looked at him, watching his moves, my mate was about 5 meters behind me, when he got to the guy the guy got up and wanted to pull him off the bike. I stopped and ran back to him ( dik diemer*&) , but when i got close he ran into the bushes and kept his distance. blurted out some unsavoury words to him, but he just kept going. 

20 minutes ago, Carmichael said:

Went up Helshoogte from sbos side, saw this oke sitting on the left hand side on the grass with hoodie on, told my mate to keep an eye on this guy as he looks up to no good. I went past 1st and looked at him, watching his moves, my mate was about 5 meters behind me, when he got to the guy the guy got up and wanted to pull him off the bike. I stopped and ran back to him ( dik diemer*&) , but when i got close he ran into the bushes and kept his distance. blurted out some unsavoury words to him, but he just kept going. 

My Sunday route had me passing Cloetesville .... I was hoping to latch on with other cyclists ... sadly no other cyclists there at that time.

I was super attentive as to movement in the bushes, cars behind me and options for quick evasive moves ....

So cr@p to have this damper on such a nice ride ....

Left Stellenbosch direction Somerset West, from the Strawberry farm I returned via Kuilsriver.  

Should we rename this thread Cape town safe areas and list where it is relatively safe to ride as it seems the list will be much shorter… at the moment I never ride to the durbanville hills anymore, just from table view to duynefontein or from table view to chappies (or to noordhoek/oukaapseweg/constantia nek and back if I’m feeling brave but seems even that route isn’t safe now with all the incidents by the prison/ambassy), and the worst part always is taking the n1 to town and out of town on the way back, not like we have a choice anymore…

21 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Should we rename this thread Cape town safe areas and list where it is relatively safe to ride as it seems the list will be much shorter… ............

Mountain Bike:

Tokai Upper has been safe for a good few years now, thanks to Tokai MTB and the good work they do, but not the approach through the suburbs

Road:

Camps Bay through to Noordhoek

13 minutes ago, Bernard Horn said:

Cyclist down at M19 Melkbos near woodsellers this morning.Be careful out there

RIP

Heard he hit a van or something. 

Was in Grandma Savage DC team. 

Its really close to home as also has 2 young kids.

1 minute ago, Pure Savage said:

Heard he hit a van or something. 

Was in Grandma Savage DC team. 

Its really close to home as also has 2 young kids.

RIP

50 minutes ago, Bernard Horn said:

Cyclist down at M19 Melkbos near woodsellers this morning.Be careful out there

RIP

Eish - that road has a wide shoulder? I thought it was fairly save to cycle there (Unlike the R27). Something must have seriously gone wrong!