Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

35 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

I like stories like that but honestly

Fight for my life ? All day everyday 

Fight for my bicycle ? Yeah nahh ....cyclesure will payout and i might not be crippled/ blinded or dead 

Ja exactly right - if I can get away without being hurt or without killing anyone that's first prize. If the choice is between having my bike leaning against the wall at home but having to explain to the cops how I killed someone or letting some @sshat get away with my steed and my phone and asking the LBS to order in another xlarge emonda pending my insurance cheque, I know which one is the better outcome.

If it's my life he wants to take - I have non-lethal weapons close to hand but let's hope I never have to face that.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, the day that the "Opel Corsa Bakkie" gang decided to take my bike, it was over within less than a minute. I was ready to defend myself and my bike, but when perp no 2 came from my exposed side, I let go of the bike and they chucked it on the back of the bakkie and was gone. I could not even take my Pepper Spray from my back pocket before it was all over and the fat lady sang her aria.

What will be the safest way into town, coming from Bellville side?

On weekends.

3 minutes ago, webs said:

On weekends.

In your car and park in or near the waterfront, who wants to risk their bikes to cycle the boring bits through the flats anyway?....

1 minute ago, Skubarra said:

In your car and park in or near the waterfront, who wants to risk their bikes to cycle the boring bits through the flats anyway?....

Semi-joking.. But if I want to do a long ride from the northern suburbs I ride in a different direction. If I want to ride Chappies/Suikerbossie I park in town and ride from there. I don't miss the drag through the badlands at all.

14 minutes ago, webs said:

On weekends.

Frans Conradie to N7, through Thornton, into Pinelands, down Forest Drive to Raapenberg, onto Liesbeeck Parkway and straight through to town from there.

40km odd each way though, hope you're up for a big one if you want any of the Atlantic scenic stuff...

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Semi-joking.. But if I want to do a long ride from the northern suburbs I ride in a different direction. If I want to ride Chappies/Suikerbossie I park in town and ride from there. I don't miss the drag through the badlands at all.

Same. I park at the V&A and ride from there. Also if you park at Battery Park undercover parking over weekends, you don't pay. Shhhhh, it's a secret.

I must also admit, lately I've been riding towards durbanville more than town/suikers/chappies. The gravel bike makes it a lot more enjoyable, and I feel much much safer that way. Riding through town is always a bit more stressful between the cars and the pedestrians that just don't see you and the runners hiding in the bushes as you go down suikers and of course the crime...

1 hour ago, CapSizer said:

Takes a foreigner to point out just how stupid this is. 

https://youtu.be/QATHqMt3qIs?si=ELvUdrXN6593YbA2

Really says it all. 

Hopefully, with enough views and sharing, this gets to the right people and maybe sees some action. I doubt it, but a boy can dream. 

If it was just another south african having a moan, it's one thing, but coming from a tourist who comes here every year, puts money into our economy... Maybe, just maybe. 

This morning riding from Seapoint towards Victoria drive as you take the turn by the bus stop to head up towards Main Road three "characters" were heading down the hill. The guy at the front saw me and lifted his hand to take a swing at me while he veered towards me. I made eye contact and sussed out his two buddies already starting to unclip and getting ready to transition into extreme violence mode. In my head, during that split second it took, I was able to dismount and grab the leader and either fling him head first into oncoming traffic or again head first through the passenger window of the closest parked car. Just as I decided to go into action mode and start dishing out the hurt he suddenly decided to let go and carried on down the hill. I finished my ride albeit with some close calls due to traffic and the wind over Chapman's trying to chuck me over the edge. Just another day in Cape Town.

I noticed that "tent city" was gone when I passed Green Point ... could account for what seemed like more than usual number of characters through Sea Point and Camps Bay.

And yes, that wind yesterday was interesting too. 😊