29er Dh Bikes????

Nikolais

Lenz 29 DH

World's first production DH 29er. PM if you want one. We bring in handbuilt Lenz 29ers to order!

post-1841-0-09925400-1295598800.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Just am observation on 29er XC bikes.

I've seen 3 carbon copy crashes in the last week of dudes on their 29ers. They get to a tight slow corner, the front wheel just swops on them and they land on their faces.

Personally I think the head angle on a lot of these 29ers is just too steep causing the front end swopping issue I just described. I'm no engineer or bike designer but that's my observation. Maybe the riders were re-cycled roadies and had never seen a tight tech corner before tho.

Kaak funny to watch tho.

Edited by Omega Man

• 6 years later...

Funny to read all these comments from 6 years ago. How they wont work , 29er is a fad etc. 650b hadnt evwn been seen yet. Now everything is 29er. I was fully behind 26ers untill last year when i tried a 29er. Now i have one. Short travel long slack xxl frame. It is so much faster. The moment i rode it i knew that 29er was the way forward.

Especially for dh.

Watching the DH this weekend and listening to the commentators going on and on about the 29er and my wife asks me, But I thought everyone rode them for a while already, so why are these guys only riding them now? I actually didn't know what to say. TBH I didn't even think about what size they where on as I also just presumed they rode 29ers. So, to answer her question, Why have the DH guys only just started racing them?

P.S I am a roadie that rides a bit of non technical dirt roads on my 29er HT, Hence not knowing.

Watching the DH this weekend and listening to the commentators going on and on about the 29er and my wife asks me, But I thought everyone rode them for a while already, so why are these guys only riding them now? I actually didn't know what to say. TBH I didn't even think about what size they where on as I also just presumed they rode 29ers. So, to answer her question, Why have the DH guys only just started racing them?

P.S I am a roadie that rides a bit of non technical dirt roads on my 29er HT, Hence not knowing.

To cut a long story short, The geometry of the frames didn't allow for enough rear travel and the fork manufacturers had not yet developed a suitable 29' downhill fork. 

See even the ladies are using them although I must admit (the one who came third I think?) looked a bit at sea on that course. But then even the winner swam some. Lol.

After the ladies, was so looking forward to seeing the guys and especially what GM was going to do and he (and his 29er) rocked. I was whooping with SA pried.

Its not all plain sailing and I doubt 27.5 DH bikes are going anywhere soon. The bigger wheel still cause some issues - look at the cut away seats that they have had to make to allow the back wheel some room.

A minor issue I hear you say except that there is a rumour that Gee's season smashing crash was caused when his backside made a bit too much contact with a big rear wheel of his Session wagon wheeler....

Its not all plain sailing and I doubt 27.5 DH bikes are going anywhere soon. The bigger wheel still cause some issues - look at the cut away seats that they have had to make to allow the back wheel some room.

A minor issue I hear you say except that there is a rumour that Gee's season smashing crash was caused when his backside made a bit too much contact with a big rear wheel of his Session wagon wheeler....

Mr Mins bum does not touch the wheel.... only his nuts... too big... :)

• 1 year later...