• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

http://designbump.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/social-advertisement-powerful-ads-11.jpg

Clever this, but I do have a little pet peeve with those messages at the bottom of emails and this type of message in the picture as well. As far as I know, almost if not all of the paper products we use in SA come from commercially farmed plantations and by using less or not using paper products at all we are not actually saving the environment but rather just cutting into sappi/ mondi business. And actually if you think about it those plantations are where we find most of our trails. So at the end of the day if we all stopped using paper the forestry companies would go out of business and we would have nowhere left to ride our bikes.

Clever this, but I do have a little pet peeve with those messages at the bottom of emails and this type of message in the picture as well. As far as I know, almost if not all of the paper products we use in SA come from commercially farmed plantations and by using less or not using paper products at all we are not actually saving the environment but rather just cutting into sappi/ mondi business. And actually if you think about it those plantations are where we find most of our trails. So at the end of the day if we all stopped using paper the forestry companies would go out of business and we would have nowhere left to ride our bikes.

yes, but it's not just about trees, but also the related pollution and consumption related to making paper products. drive past any paper mill (Ngodwana is a good example) and you will smell and see what I am talking about.

yes, but it's not just about trees, but also the related pollution and consumption related to making paper products. drive past any paper mill (Ngodwana is a good example) and you will smell and see what I am talking about.

Sure I hear what you are saying but we are always being made to feel bad that we are raping the rain forests etc.

The implication is that we must save the trees when actually they were planted to make paper in the first place.

Sure I hear what you are saying but we are always being made to feel bad that we are raping the rain forests etc.

The implication is that we must save the trees when actually they were planted to make paper in the first place.

Is the issue not one of planting more plantations because of more demand and so "destroying" more land ?

Is the issue not one of planting more plantations because of more demand and so "destroying" more land ?

I don't think so. It is agricultural land and has been for ages.

those forests aren't being destroyed so that paper trees can be planted, they're being destroyed for ACTUAL farmland. Soy, wheat, corn, that sort of thing.

For sure there is a lot of wild/ indigenous forest being destroyed in other parts of the world but in SA all our paper/ timber comes from sustainably managed plantations. I think it is something that environmentalists like to push that they have picked up from overseas when in actual fact it is an issue that does not affect our natural forests.

http://static1.uk.businessinsider.com/image/54e62db3dd08957e098b46a2-1200/us-president-george-w-bush-hands-back-a-crying-baby-that-was-handed-to-him-from-the-crowd-as-he-arrived-for-an-outdoor-dinner-with-german-chancellor-angela-merkel-in-trinwillershagen-germany-in-july-2006.jpg