I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

That's like saying the springboks won the world cup on their own.. :ph34r:

He did it without any direct help, but arguably you have to be a saffer to be Elon. The arrogance and pig-headedness that seems to make him successful is not going to be found in Switzerland or Norway for example. He is at least partly a recognisable product of our local environment. 

Yes he is up until the 5 month stint at Tuks, the Telsa, the 7000 people who work at SpaceX, the rockets and the people sent to the moon are not. 

Dude, whatever, if you need to tell yourself that SA was responsible for the success of the launch to make you happy, then do that. You aren't hurting anybody by thinking that, so I am ok with it :)

Edited by Patchelicious

• Replies 78.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean a South African sent Americans to space. Neither you nor I helped ;)

No.. I meant South Africans.,. I was just been super sarcastic..and responding to a post that Eldron was responding too

But yes a African American had a dream that sent people to space, fantastic achievement, a guy that certainly doesn't let the impossible hold him back (read my signature)

crazy

I got sweaty palms just watching this...some people have balls of titanium. This guy is one such a man.

No.. I meant South Africans.,. I was just been super sarcastic..and responding to a post that Eldron was responding too

But yes a African American had a dream that sent people to space, fantastic achievement, a guy that certainly doesn't let the impossible hold him back (read my signature)

He is not an african american... :ph34r:

Yes he is up until the 5 month stint at Tuks, the Telsa, the 7000 people who work at SpaceX, the rockets and the people sent to the moon are not. 

Dude, whatever, if you need to tell yourself that SA was responsible for the success of the launch to make you happy, then do that. You aren't hurting anybody by thing that, so I am ok with it :)

Well that wasn't exactly my point. South Africa (the country) clearly didn't do it, but that doesn't mean he isn't part of the family.

why Not?

He was born is africa, and lives in America..

Hahaha, yes I know, but his skin colour is all wrong! :D

Well that wasn't exactly my point. South Africa (the country) clearly didn't do it, but that doesn't mean he isn't part of the family.

Just like Chris Froome :whistling:

Hahaha, yes I know, but his skin colour is all wrong! :D

hey If I ever emigrated to the US i would so push that I'm African American. as Lilly white as I am, and I'll most likely be way more African american than the African Americans. color doesn't define you.

hey If I ever emigrated to the US i would so push that I'm African American. as Lilly white as I am, and I'll most likely be way more African american than the African Americans. color doesn't define you.

I should've put that in sarcastic font, just now some libo jumps me again... :whistling:

He was born and educated here. Everything else was done in the US. Business, wealth, fame,

Like it or not, he would never have achieved what he has if he stayed here. So yes, unfortunately it is an American success.

He did not achieve the success because of SA, he did in spite of being being born in SA.

there's a reason he's not so enamoured by his roots

https://www.biznews.com/undictated/2015/07/21/why-elon-musk-has-little-affection-for-the-brutal-land-where-he-grew-up

A late developer physically, the geeky Musk was a bit of a “space cadet” who dreamt of other worlds. Not fitting in resulted in him being mercilessly bullied by a gang of schoolboy thugs. One brutal incident involved the future billionaire being kicked in the head while sitting at the top of some stairs – and beaten so badly when he hit the bottom he needed reconstructive surgery.

Soon after that incident Musk relocated to Pretoria High where he told Vance that discipline was better and the bullying less. But he holds few fond memories of growing up in SA, which he left as soon as he could, boarding a plane for Canada at 17. The Pretoria school discovered as much when it asked for a donation towards a new stadium. Musk duly sent R1m – on the proviso the school agree to never contact him again.

Never crossed my mind once.Whats the issue?

Great achievement.

So an american company using american equipment sent americans to space from america and it was too american?

Whaaat?

I loved it. Watching all the prep and behind the scenes footage mixed in the the historic info - awesome experience!

No it was a South African company.. didn't  you know.. Ok, it was a company in America, but it was run by a former South African, who made all his money in America..therefore the South Africans sent Americans to space 

clearly I have been oversensitive to this.