I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

As a skeptic by nature, it was a bit cringy at times for me, and too much fluff was created for dramatic effect. It's not a documentary as many would tell you. It's a story of a privilege white guy going through his midlife crisis filming an octopus. 

Only thing that saved it for me was the cinematography. We've gone crayfish and abalone diving in those waters before, but never experienced it like that - truly beautiful and worth it just for that.

Yup, that's the only reason I would watch it - for the scenery. Have also done loads of diving in that environment.

Cringy and fluffy pretty much describes what I have heard from others

• Replies 78.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

New Trail Black Rhino 1 that ties into Black Rhino

https://youtu.be/XW6dLgrHXrk

Looks very lekker, but I don't know what gnar and jank mean? I've ridden all of Conters, many times,  so does that mean I've already gnared and janked? Or is this new trail the sole custodian of the gnar and jank at the Tygerberm trails

Looks very lekker, but I don't know what gnar and jank mean? I've ridden all of Conters, many times,  so does that mean I've already gnared and janked? Or is this new trail the sole custodian of the gnar and jank at the Tygerberm trails

I am stoked on new additions to the trails we have around here. In saying that though, I rode Witfontein last week for a change, and if the Black Rhino is double black, then Witfontein is in an entirely new undefined category as even from just watching the video, and having ridden Black Rhino 2 a few times, Witfontein is way higher on "gnar" and "jank"...totally unmanicured, bigger rocks, bigger gaps, tons more exposed roots, narrower trails, steeper, looser, way more obstacles wanting to reach out and knock you OTB, but more importantly, the fun factor that went through the roof. I was lazy and decided against driving to Karatara to ride Garden Route Trail Park and chose George's trails instead. I am not sorry for one moment I made that choice. From what I discovered the closest resembling local trails to Witfontein we have here is possibly Jonkershoek, and that is more a maybe than a definite.

I am stoked on new additions to the trails we have around here. In saying that though, I rode Witfontein last week for a change, and if the Black Rhino is double black, then Witfontein is in an entirely new undefined category as even from just watching the video, and having ridden Black Rhino 2 a few times, Witfontein is way higher on "gnar" and "jank"...totally unmanicured, bigger rocks, bigger gaps, tons more exposed roots, narrower trails, steeper, looser, way more obstacles wanting to reach out and knock you OTB, but more importantly, the fun factor that went through the roof. I was lazy and decided against driving to Karatara to ride Garden Route Trail Park and chose George's trails instead. I am not sorry for one moment I made that choice. From what I discovered the closest resembling local trails to Witfontein we have here is possibly Jonkershoek, and that is more a maybe than a definite.

ja I rode Witfontein a few years ago and I loved the wildness of it.

Yup, that's the only reason I would watch it - for the scenery. Have also done loads of diving in that environment.

Cringy and fluffy pretty much describes what I have heard from others

Don't let the cringy label deter you. The photography is great and it is meant to be an emotional film that makes you think about the beauty but also the frailty and impermanence of life itself. That of the octopus as well as your own. OK, ok, maybe too fluffy for some?!  :blush: I really enjoyed it, but I'll still order octopus occasionally if the chef knows his stuff. ;)

Do you now see why Tygerberg's rating system is so whack?

Do you now see why Tygerberg's rating system is so whack?

sadly I do. I learnt on that ride that there is a bit of degeneration of skill if you keep riding 'manicured' rather than more natural and wild trail. And this creates a dangerous situation where someone who is confident on Black Rhino for instance would think that Sticks and Stones on Witfontein is not as tough and then bomb it, only to find out it is actually rougher, and way more so. Best case scenario would be to not end up hurt after disembarking your ride. Worst case, some serious injuries.

On the flip side, I spent 4 hours on those trails and then for my next ride I found myself back at Leatt Skills Park at Hoogekraal where I was struggling to ride the flow line due to a lack of, well, flow. But on the larger intermediate line I was clearing all the tables for once...go figure. Perhaps riding more techy, gnarly trails makes your skills improve. Who would've thunk it...

best comment:

Never seen saps so active, this Nissan 1400 must belong to Bheki Celes side chick

So there you are, minding your own business, driving along the highway, and all of a sudden a helicopter comes flying overhead so low you can see the scratch marks on the skids, and a police motorcycle passes to your left unloading a 9mm into a Nissan Champ, and you think to yourself, "can 2020 get any worse?"...

Don't let the cringy label deter you. The photography is great and it is meant to be an emotional film that makes you think about the beauty but also the frailty and impermanence of life itself. That of the octopus as well as your own. OK, ok, maybe too fluffy for some?! :blush: I really enjoyed it, but I'll still order octopus occasionally if the chef knows his stuff. ;)

Some people will see the beauty, frailty and impermanence of life, others will see the emotional attachment and development whilst others will see a privileged white guy.

Funny species we are.

Some people will see the beauty, frailty and impermanence of life, others will see the emotional attachment and development whilst others will see a privileged white guy.

Funny species we are.

We make octopuses look very intelligent  :ph34r:

I think they are more intelligent than most people in government...

lol. No need to  think about it, it's a definite.