MTB Specific: What Tyre Pressures

Theo18

This is going to stir the pot I weigh 101kg with 2.35 Ardent Race front and Crossmark 2.25 rear. Pressures 1.1 front and 1.6 rear. I have experimented with tyre pressures and shock and fork presdures ad nauseum and ridden same descents back to back and keep coming back to these pressures. In almost 9000km no pinch flats or damaged rims and only confy as a couch. Any higher and the bike rattles my teeth out. Oh and thats trying 2 forks also

Similar weight ,rims and tire width ..My front tire will come off and there is no control on a rocky descent on such low front tire pressures .Best i found was 1,6 front and 1,8 rear.Maybe you have a very thick walled tire or ride only gravel or our gauges are both faulty  

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/2/2021 at 1:50 PM, eala said:

Similar weight ,rims and tire width ..My front tire will come off and there is no control on a rocky descent on such low front tire pressures .Best i found was 1,6 front and 1,8 rear.Maybe you have a very thick walled tire or ride only gravel or our gauges are both faulty  

I weigh 84kg and run 1.4 front and 1.6 back. No issues. 

57 minutes ago, guidodg said:

Ground Control 2.35 front 1,1bar

Fast track 2.35 rear 1,5bar

I weigh 74kg

1.1 bar, that's low.

You run insert with?

Pleasantly surprised when I bought a Topeak pressure gauge. My Birzmann pump is way out.

22psi would be closer to 28/30psi

Well worth the investment. 

Settled on 24/26psi front and 26/28psi rear depending on trail being ridden. 
Anything gravel grinding I go for 30psi front and rear. 
2.4 Specialized Butchers front and rear and I weight just north of 100kg.

Edited by Steady Spin

32 minutes ago, MajG said:

1.1 bar, that's low.

You run insert with?

no insert since they cannot be used with Rovals...and never had a problem even riding fairly rocky gnarly stuff...rims are 29mm internal

Edited by guidodg

31 minutes ago, guidodg said:

no insert since they cannot be used with Rovals...and never had a problem even riding fairly rocky gnarly stuff...rims are 29mm internal

Lucky you, even with inserts I ride 1.4bar.

You probably a much more skilled n Lightfoot rider too👍🏼

39 minutes ago, guidodg said:

As far as I know only Cushcore style inserts are an issue, Csixx Foamo’s should be fine?

1.4 bar front

1.6 bar rear 

pirelli scorpion XC RC 29x2.4 lite

even at 70kg I cannot run the tyres below 1.3 bar as they skirmish (squirm)too much 

Edited by DieselnDust

6 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Pleasantly surprised when I bought a Topeak pressure gauge. My Birzmann pump is way out.

22psi would be closer to 28/30psi

Well worth the investment. 

Settled on 24/26psi front and 26/28psi rear depending on trail being ridden. 
Anything gravel grinding I go for 30psi front and rear. 
2.4 Specialized Butchers front and rear and I weight just north of 100kg.

^^ THIS ^^

very few  bicycle tire gauges are accurate ....  add a bit sludge and it gets worse.

My 2 floor pumps vastly over read compared to my Topeak gauge. As long as you're getting consistency you can read with whatever you wish.

I find things get slippery over 1.3 Bar on the front....plus my hands rattle less at 1 1.

1 hour ago, love2fly said:

My 2 floor pumps vastly over read compared to my Topeak gauge. As long as you're getting consistency you can read with whatever you wish.

I find things get slippery over 1.3 Bar on the front....plus my hands rattle less at 1 1.

My floor pump under reads horribly , so I also use a proper gadget. 1.4 upfront 1.6 on the back works for me 

On 7/19/2022 at 12:35 PM, thebob said:

Foamos are not worth the effort from my experience. 

Agreed, they’re not very good 

What are these 'bars' y'all going on about?

I'm no lightweight and have settled on 25/28 PSI F/R on MTB and 32/35 PSI F/R on gravel

I have found that going too low on my gravel bike makes the bike wander around too much ...

No idea how accurate my pump is and I certainly am not one of those that can feel a single PSI either way either