Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great tips thanks, I`ll keep them in mind. My route with the car is down the M1 in JHB, cannot really do that with the bike. But I will try a couple routes next to the highway over the holidays before I properly do it next year then, 

Where are you commuting to and from?

This sounds like an interesting story. I'll wait....

There are some derelict railway tracks tarred into the road, behind SA Breweries in Claremont. I know about them as I ride there every time I commute. But some days are just......well, it was drizzling yesterday and as I turned into the road I supposed I was going a bit too fast and the front wheel slipped on one, regaining grip quickly but leaving me still upright and now pointing right for the star on an oncoming Merc. I think the drivers' eyes were wider than mine. Somehow my guardian angel must have grabbed me by the tail, because she swung me back across the same slippery railway tack, out of harms way. Had wobbly knees after that but thankfully no skidmarks. From now on the mountain bike will do rainy day duty rather than the skinny roadie.    

There are some derelict railway tracks tarred into the road, behind SA Breweries in Claremont. I know about them as I ride there every time I commute. But some days are just......well, it was drizzling yesterday and as I turned into the road I supposed I was going a bit too fast and the front wheel slipped on one, regaining grip quickly but leaving me still upright and now pointing right for the star on an oncoming Merc. I think the drivers' eyes were wider than mine. Somehow my guardian angel must have grabbed me by the tail, because she swung me back across the same slippery railway tack, out of harms way. Had wobbly knees after that but thankfully no skidmarks. From now on the mountain bike will do rainy day duty rather than the skinny roadie.    

Other than in your shorts ;)

BEWARE RAILWAY LINES IN THE WET!

When we did the Baviaans about 2 or 3 years ago, it was during that rainy one, one of our team's riders slipped and fell his arse loose twice on that last stretch where one crossed the railway coming back up to the mall. He was totally gatvol after those falls.

Schwalbe marathon plus. The tyre of choice for the pseudo-developed country.

I sometimes literally aim for the glass just to see how little it does. Unfortunately my boss knows bike tyres... The excuse "I got a puncture" isn't gonna fly when I rock these bad boys.

- Retail hours suck

- Working over weekends sucks even more

- Time for cycling has decreased dramatically

- Too tired/not motivated to get up early to cycle plus to tackle a 10-hour shift

- My feet are killing me, need to get more comfortable shoes

- Shopping Malls lacks safe, secure parking for bicycles

- On your off days, you just want to sleep and relax

- Maybe considering taking up jogging again to at least get some sort of exercising into my routine. 

EDIT: Just have to adapt and wake up early for morning loops before work.

Sterkte bru, retail is the devil! I've had my fair share of the retail life and seriously do not miss it. I make a point of thanking those that serve me well (obviously not if you can't be bothered to greet me and serve me like you're doing me a favour then you can go "kruip") but generally the staff that smile and are helpful I thank them for there service and wish them luck over this season when we know year in and year out people loose their **** over the smallest things. 

As some have already said, try your best to get out and train, you will feel better for it. On your off day and a little lie in but get out on the bike. 

On my commute this morning I saw another commuter wearing a rugby headguard instead of a helmet.

I am dumbfounded every day by the number of commuters I see cycling without helmets... Especially now when the commute is in the dark in the n hem.

Broken crank no. 2 for my commuter bikes :(

At least this time it did not snap and break under acceleration  :thumbup:

Sjoe that's not nice. Any idea what is causing it? Not a common issue AFAIK.

Once got a bad cut to my tyre in Pretoria but thanks to the local friendly smokers there were lots of empty cigarette boxes lying around.  Slipped in a piece of the box between the tyre and tube and I could continue my ride with no problem.

Did exactly this during the Argus. It was the detour over ou kaapse and on the return on the blue route I got a nasty slash. I was still very young and on my own. My toppie had started a few groups back on the tandem with my younger boet. I started changing the tyre when my toppie luckily saw me. I actually hadn't even seen the slash. My toppie took over and saw the cut. We looked on the side of the road and didn't need to look far for a empty cigarette box. I think I used that tyre for many kms before chucking it. Apparently cash also works well.

Can't tell to be honest, no falls I can recall either.

This is the second pair of cranks that I have broken on my commuter bikes ... so it may just be fatigue?

Sjoe that's not nice. Any idea what is causing it? Not a common issue AFAIK.

Can't tell to be honest, no falls I can recall either.

This is the second pair of cranks that I have broken on my commuter bikes ... so it may just be fatigue?

Or too many watts