Coffee machine

7 minutes ago, Fisan said:

I initially planned to go the Gaggia route.

But I decided to go for the Barista Express.

So I got a La Pavoni (and grinder). 🥷

image.png.680dc1040985ddd26e584a2199f876e3.png

The best! Join the group in FB, lots of good info! Love my pavoni! 

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/11/2022 at 11:57 AM, the nerd said:

Gaggia Classic Pro 

DF 64 Grinder... 

Solid setup 

I recently got the DF64, its a game changer. I thought my coffee was good, untill I got proper grinders. Your grinder is the most important.

FB_IMG_1652790940669.jpg

On 5/18/2022 at 12:33 PM, babse said:

Cleaned out my grouphead last night. First cup this morning was like from a brand new machine.

Felt like i got everything right 🙌😊

IMG_20220517_201730.jpg

Screenshot_20220518_123124.jpg

Screenshot_20220518_122953.jpg

IMG-20220518-WA0012.jpg

Looks great! If you need any spares for your Oscar let me know, I have a stripped one sitting in my garage... Boiler got destroyed! 

I have a spare portafilter for it too if you want to cut the bottom off etc... 

7 hours ago, the nerd said:

Looks great! If you need any spares for your Oscar let me know, I have a stripped one sitting in my garage... Boiler got destroyed! 

I have a spare portafilter for it too if you want to cut the bottom off etc... 

I might need to replace the steam tap on  my Oscar soon. For some reason it needs to be opened and closed to or three times before steam comes out. 

Is it relatively easy to pull out and replace? Or should I bite the bullet and send it to the local guys for the repair?

1 minute ago, PhilipV said:

I might need to replace the steam tap on  my Oscar soon. For some reason it needs to be opened and closed to or three times before steam comes out. 

Is it relatively easy to pull out and replace? Or should I bite the bullet and send it to the local guys for the repair?

You have to remove the main cover, but once it's off everything is right there. 

Probably just the tap seals in there binding up. 

8 minutes ago, the nerd said:

You have to remove the main cover, but once it's off everything is right there. 

Probably just the tap seals in there binding up. 

Can't be that hard, I've pulled the three way valve out a couple of times when it decides to be a two-way, so I'll do the steam tap soon and see if it can be refurbished. Thanks!

So what cups do you guys use? I currently just have good ol' large mugs and tea sets. I'm trying to find some of the lower and wider type cups with 150 - 200 ml capacity.

The Acme flat white range looks really nice (Yuppy Chef, Truth). Maxwell Williams also have some plain options, bit a bit too "Curly" for my taste. Le Creuset too bulky. Dislike Carol Boys. A set like @babse's cup and saucer above is what I'm aiming for. 

17 minutes ago, Fisan said:

So what cups do you guys use? I currently just have good ol' large mugs and tea sets. I'm trying to find some of the lower and wider type cups with 150 - 200 ml capacity.

The Acme flat white range looks really nice (Yuppy Chef, Truth). Maxwell Williams also have some plain options, bit a bit too "Curly" for my taste. Le Creuset too bulky. Dislike Carol Boys. A set like @babse's cup and saucer above is what I'm aiming for. 

I'd recommend looking for local pottery artists/makers... if you're in CT, keep an eye out for the Rondebosch Potter's Market. you'll find some lovely stuff. if that's your thing of course

25 minutes ago, Fisan said:

I went from our usual coffee and tea mugs straight to Acme.
They are expensive, but robust and should last a long time.

They do need to be warmed up before you make your coffee in there, as they are thick and will suck the heat out if you start from cold.

42 minutes ago, Fisan said:

cheap and really good in my view...

they are Regent 4-Piece Set of Stoneware Tea Cup & Saucers

HCS Home and Catering do them, you used to get them off DailyDeals/OneDayOnly and now and then Takealot.

27 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Or should I rather ask if it’s the same one that is used by those who have one.

R12k is not a bad price given that Amazon has 4 different models from $1k to $1.4k

Might consider it, as the wife has her 1-touch, no frills bean to cup machine.

I am quite possibly wrong.

I thought the question related to the brands, but the specific models may have differences.

I don't know enough about La Pavoni.

5 hours ago, Fisan said:

Acme all the way.

Nice colors

Robust 

Good sizing as well. The 150ml is perfect Flatwhite size if you want the coffee to punch through your milk.

The cappuccino (190ml)is also a good option.

If interested I might be willing to part 1 or cappuccino cups. Dm me.