Coffee machine

Hi all, question on grind size....I'm using a Severin grinder, grind on its max/coarsest setting or very close. 90% of my coffee is made using a french press. (I grind finer when using the moka pot)

Is this grind too fine for a french press?

IMG_20211029_091727.jpg

IMG_20211029_091735.jpg

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, travisza said:

Hi all, question on grind size....I'm using a Severin grinder, grind on its max/coarsest setting or very close. 90% of my coffee is made using a french press. (I grind finer when using the moka pot)

Is this grind too fine for a french press?

IMG_20211029_091727.jpg

IMG_20211029_091735.jpg

Difficult to tell from pictures, but I have the same grinder and when grinding for French press, I actually use it coarser than the numbered settings.

If the numbers continued to 14, that's about where I set it.

1 hour ago, Trashy said:

Difficult to tell from pictures, but I have the same grinder and when grinding for French press, I actually use it coarser than the numbered settings.

If the numbers continued to 14, that's about where I set it.

Didn't realise you could do that...I will try that thanks

Is it worth advertising?

I have a De Longhi Prima Donna ESAM6600 that has not been used much I want to sell. Perfect working condition. Was around R12K - will sell for around R6k. Worth selling a coffee machine? 

On 8/16/2021 at 9:53 AM, Underachiever said:

Anyone using the Aeropress system?  Thoughts?

Aeropress, in my opinion, makes better coffee than french press or Bialetti. Use it every day.

9 hours ago, M L said:

Aeropress, in my opinion, makes better coffee than french press or Bialetti. Use it every day.

Totally agree, you can make a proper cup with the right technique. I still prefer the V60, but the aeropress is so easy and convenient. 

8 minutes ago, Alouette3 said:

https://www.backyardbrewcoffee.co.za/

Found these guys at the Under the Trees market on the weekend, running some specials. Chatted with the owner a bit and bought some Nicaragua and their Cobrata blend. Keen to try it out!

used their free delivery once before and was fairly impressed with their beans... no reason why I haven't bought from them again

3 minutes ago, Alouette3 said:

Their home Cobrata blend makes a seriously good flat white

Yes that's the one they also recommended when I spoke to them. Apparently a blend of medium and dark roast.

House blends are mostly made in that way, so that anyone can enjoy them. 

With or without milk, tall, short etc....  roasted for smooth and easy drinking! 

Sorry for derailing the thread but is there perhaps a place to get coffee in Stellenbosch before 07:00 Saturday morning? 

I see most places only open at 07:00.