Coffee machine

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

right, so, gas stove installed. I'm not contemplating ditching the nespresso machine and getting a Moca Pot.

is it necessary to go for the bialetti or will a cheaper alternative work just as well ?

And then size, 90% of the time its just the wife an I, but I wouldnt want to be making to cups at a time when we have guests over. I also think that if I'm always doing 2 cups to rather get 1 size up to leave a bit of room. Would making 2 cups in a 4 cup pot be just as good ?

There is no budget for this, it will land up being a on the whim purchase, but I'd like to have the info at hand when the whim comes along.

I also wont be grinding beans for now, will buy coffee grounds to start with.

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

right, so, gas stove installed. I'm not contemplating ditching the nespresso machine and getting a Moca Pot.

is it necessary to go for the bialetti or will a cheaper alternative work just as well ?

And then size, 90% of the time its just the wife an I, but I wouldnt want to be making to cups at a time when we have guests over. I also think that if I'm always doing 2 cups to rather get 1 size up to leave a bit of room. Would making 2 cups in a 4 cup pot be just as good ?

There is no budget for this, it will land up being a on the whim purchase, but I'd like to have the info at hand when the whim comes along.

Got a Regent moka pot and I've used a mates Bialetti, much of a muchness between the two, go for what your budget allows. The Bialetti is better made and more solid in comparison, but the coffee yield was much the same.

I've got a smaller 4 cup if I'm just making for myself then a 6 cup Moka if I'm making two cups, just top up the level with hot water from the kettle.

Most brands give similar results, I've even used a R100 Checkers cheapy, the handles are just a bit flimsy.

28 minutes ago, Alouette3 said:

I've got a smaller 4 cup if I'm just making for myself then a 6 cup Moka if I'm making two cups, just top up the level with hot water from the kettle.

Most brands give similar results, I've even used a R100 Checkers cheapy, the handles are just a bit flimsy.

So what you're saying is I should go for a 6 cup if I'm making for 2 people most of the time ?

19 hours ago, ouzo said:

I have a bialleti brikka 4 cup which I feel makes a better cup than the other Moka pots.

That said, for camping and weekends away I take an @home 6cup. The quality is excellent and it wasn't that expensive.

Calling on the experts here: Espresso machine. Is there anything worth buying for R8k? The Rancilio Silvia is just out of the range of what I want to spend, nevermind a Rocket...

Or should I wait and save up more?

1 hour ago, Fisan said:

Calling on the experts here: Espresso machine. Is there anything worth buying for R8k? The Rancilio Silvia is just out of the range of what I want to spend, nevermind a Rocket...

The gaggia classic is in budget. 

Do you have a grinder? 

I picked up an immaculate condition Simonelli Oscar of market place for similar budget. Never looked back. Itching to upgrade my lelit grinder currently without blowing the bank. 

1 hour ago, babse said:

The gaggia classic is in budget. 

Do you have a grinder? 

I picked up an immaculate condition Simonelli Oscar of market place for similar budget. Never looked back. Itching to upgrade my lelit grinder currently without blowing the bank. 

I currently have a grinder-Moka combo. Its a Krupps burr, nothing special about it, but should do the job still.

7 hours ago, Fisan said:

Do yourself a favour and get yourself an AeroPress (makes seriously good coffee) and save up to buy yourself a serious machine and get a real grinder.

7 hours ago, Fisan said:

I currently have a grinder-Moka combo. Its a Krupps burr, nothing special about it, but should do the job still.

If you are hard on your budget, maybe look at Breville Barista!? 

If not, I would definitely want to upgrade that grinder too. 

13 hours ago, porqui said:

Do yourself a favour and get yourself an AeroPress (makes seriously good coffee) and save up to buy yourself a serious machine and get a real grinder.

I don't consider an AeroPress as an upgrade to the stovepot (not a downgrade either, just different 🙂).