• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was only a matter of time before James Hoffman entered the chat 😆

If you have to consider bean to cup, this is a great comparison -->

If you're already invested in one, learn to dial it in -->

On 6/8/2024 at 7:54 PM, cadenceblur said:

This took me less than 2 minutes, milk is frothed while shot is running , if beans are weighed and prepped before , that also saves more time…., but to each his own 

IMG_8866.jpeg

A dual boiler machine does help speed things up.

The single boiler Rancilio does draw things out a bit...

On 6/7/2024 at 5:10 PM, KyleDurh said:

Hmm. I’ll weigh in here with someone that has a bean to cup machine and came from manual espresso .

It is very dependent on what bean to cup machine you get. I have a Jura E6 and it punches well above its weight and for me was worth the investment. 

Although, I’d admit that in the hands of an experienced barista, you get better results from a manual machine, the consistency of a dialed in Bean to Cup and the convenience is hard to beat. 

I think the problem is often that people leave their bean to cup machine stock and don’t put in effort to have good beans and then to dial them in. 

Where do I find a "how to" to dial in the Jura.  We have one at work, the hot liquid that comes out of it tastes like dish water with froth.  I'd like to take the time to set it up correctly.

25 minutes ago, splat said:

A dual boiler machine does help speed things up.

The single boiler Rancilio does draw things out a bit...

Yes, definitely a game changer

11 hours ago, Stretched@Birth said:

Where do I find a "how to" to dial in the Jura.  We have one at work, the hot liquid that comes out of it tastes like dish water with froth.  I'd like to take the time to set it up correctly.

First step is good or decent beans. A corporate machine is often where things fall flat  

It also might need a service which can work wonders  

Then typically to dial in: 

I would go with a black coffee or espresso to taste.

While making a coffee you can adjust dose (mine is denoted in beans but differs) and the amount of water of the shot. These machines typically can’t hold a huge amount of ground coffee (Say 15 grams at max strength setting) so would call for roughly a 30ML to 50ML coffee shot depending on preference. These settings can be saved  

Depending on model but mine has a grind setting dial at the top (near the back) that you adjust while the machine grinds. Typically the finer the grind the more extraction. Mine actually runs very close to stock but it is bean dependent. 

Some pointers above, that James Hoffman video is really good. 

Another thing, try smaller cups or making 2 coffees for a bigger cup. The brew unit size limitation is a big cause of disappointment. 

• 5 weeks later...

If anyone can help

I have a Jura F50 coffee machine that got wet during last rains, would like to claim from insurance. What would be the replacement model?.

1 hour ago, Matchstix said:

If anyone can help

I have a Jura F50 coffee machine that got wet during last rains, would like to claim from insurance. What would be the replacement model?.

Out of experience and by seeing them in action here, Jura machines are ♠️ no doubt 🙌🏻, but I've reinvested in one of these since I left mine back home - winning.....😎  Grind my beans and brew the goodness 

20240707_094312.jpg

On 1/11/2024 at 9:10 AM, BuffsVintageBikes said:

If you're in CT and haven't been to Boston Coffee Roasters, do yourself a favour 🤙

You can thank me later.

Bought some yesterday for my bean to k@k machine… report to follow 🫣

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2024 at 12:46 AM, gemmerbal said:

Bought some yesterday for my bean to k@k machine… report to follow 🫣

I’d forgotten to report back: I’ll rather drive the extra 5km to Alchemy in future, their single origin is still unbeaten in my books. (I tried Boston’s single origin and their morning blend, sorry, but Alchemy is better IMO)

Disclaimer: for consistency, all brews were prepared using my bean2crap Siemens. 

On 4/26/2012 at 10:49 AM, V12man said:

Not much in that price range that is any good at all, and you are probably setting yourself up for a truely frustrating and dissapointing coffee experience if you buy a super automatic machine or pod based machine in that price range.

Try buying an Aeropress machine (+-R350) and a good small conical burr grinder like an Isomac (+-R1500) - you should be able to come out under 2500 and not be locked into using capsules (which is ultimately very expensive).

Couple those with a good source of fresh coffee beans (tricky to find in PE :), and you will be happy - the nice thing about an aeropress is that it is so small and light, you can travel with it, the disadvantage is that steaming is not possible, but for about R600 you can buy a frothing machine too, but you are never going to do latte art with that.

You could also try using a moka type stovetop pot, but you still need to source fresh beans and have a decent grinder.

I've got a small French Press (around 240ml) that cost about ZAR120 for day to day coffee and a 4 cup Bialetti Moka (ZAR 750) for a good "luxurious" coffee 👌🏼👌🏼

Simple grinder, your choice of beans and boom, there you have it.  The process is enjoyable and the coffee is 🤌🏼🤌🏼

Edited by Ant in the NL

34 minutes ago, Ant in the NL said:

I've got a small aeropress (around 240ml) that cost about ZAR120 for day to day coffee and a 4 cup Bialetti Moka (ZAR 750) for a good "luxurious" coffee 👌🏼👌🏼

Simple grinder, your choice of beans and boom, there you have it.  The process is enjoyable and the coffee is 🤌🏼🤌🏼

I've found the simplest way to make really good coffee is pour overs, and the benefit is that you can slowly upgrade your equipment piecemeal as you get more and more into it. I started with a Hario V60, a cheap burr grinder, a *** scale and a 'normal' kettle.

Then the grinder died and I replaced it with a Timemore C3 manual grinder. Immediate improvement due to more accurate grind sizing.

Then the scale died, and it was replaced by a Timemore Black Mirror (I'm not a Timemore fanboy, my wife bought it without my input) - the instant display, precision and ability to time pours also made an immediate improvement.

Then the kettle died, and it was replaced by a Fellow Stagg. Another instant improvement due to the precision and temperature control.

I haven't replaced the V60, because I haven't needed to, but I did add a Kallita Wave to try out.  

Pair the above with good beans, a good process and a willing to experiment and you've got a pretty repeatable good cup of coffee as well as, just as importantly, the flexibility to get the most out of any specific bean.    

Just some feedback on my Baratza sette ginder. I bought it second hand here in NL. It died on me after 8 months of use, gearbox broken (Known issue). I took a chance and contacted Baratza customer support (owned by Breville). Within one week they sent me a replacement gearbox/motor assembly for free. I did not even have to pay the postage fee. I installed it and it is working better than ever. Great customer support.