Coffee machine

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aeropress is definitely an alternative to the Moka. Something special about preparing a Moka pot coffee, but for consistency, ease of use and convenience when travelling the Aeropress is a winner.

I take the Moka when camping and on gas, but otherwise the Aeropress and Hario grinder has become my travelling companion when on contract.

Porqui uses his Aeropress for everyday coffee at home, even when he has the availability of my Gaggia Espresso machine he still goes with the Aeropress.

Thanks. Is the aeropress suitable for making more than 1 cup at a time? Especially when friends are visiting?

Any feedback available on the Bialetti moka express pots? Are they worth it? What is the coffee like?

After years of forcing the issue for convenience sake, I have gone off my Nespresso machine and rediscovered my Moka pot :blush: .

OMG, that makes nice coffee but is a PITA compared to 'pod coffee'.

I have a fairly big Moka pot, so struggle to get the right amount and strength of coffee. I was looking to get a new smaller one, but was put off by the price.

I had forgotten about the Aeropress - never had coffee from one, so am keen to try. But they aren't cheap either... 

Just to clarify.... when you use the Moka pot, do you keep full heat right up until the brew stops coming out the spout? What sort of extraction time are you aiming for?

Once the water is boiling, it doesn't need full power from the stove.

i.o.w. the water doesn't get any hotter and it doesn't brew any faster

Checkers sell a moka pot. Worth it? R99.

I have been using cheapies in all 4 sizes for years and they suit me just fine. I have found myself buying them sometimes when I'm on holiday and the coffee around me is crap. I have never owned a Bialetti so I can't compare and therefore I don't know what I'm missing..

Thanks. Is the aeropress suitable for making more than 1 cup at a time? Especially when friends are visiting?

Not really. It's quite intensive especially if you have a manual grinder. Wouldn't use for more than 2 people.

You can make multiple cups by making a slightly stronger brew, splitting it and filling up with hot water.

I have stopped making multiple cups though, results aren't as consistent. Rather just do the process twice.

Just to clarify.... when you use the Moka pot, do you keep full heat right up until the brew stops coming out the spout? What sort of extraction time are you aiming for?

If I have the heat turned up it sprays all over the place. I have 2 brands, one is a bialetti and the other is a cheapie and both do the same. So I use hot water and then heat(gas) on lowest. Works for me.

If I have the heat turned up it sprays all over the place. I have 2 brands, one is a bialetti and the other is a cheapie and both do the same. So I use hot water and then heat(gas) on lowest. Works for me.

Once the water is boiling, it doesn't need full power from the stove.

i.o.w. the water doesn't get any hotter and it doesn't brew any faster

I normally boil water in the kettle beforehand and then lower the heat a little when it starts to come out. 

Ok I am on the right track then. I heat the pot first with boiled water then fill to just below the relief valve. I use a camping gas stove with the flame turned up until the brew starts coming out and then turn it down to about half. Once the top portion is about 2/3 full, I switch the heat off and wait until it is finished and then pour. You can control brew time by the amount of heat you use. Should you still be aiming for around 25sec?

I remember leaving the lid open and not watching it while it brewed. The results were spectacular but the clean up process afterwards was a nightmare! I didn't realise that spout could spray that far!!