Coffee machine

I know, its just the whohaa thats been made around starbucks is a little disheartening, hopefully it raises awareness for other local roaters and boosts the industry...

Ciro said they will be good for the coffee industry as a whole - raise the profile and demand for coffee, but Ricoffy is the widest drunk coffee by a huge margin in Sa, only 5% or something to that effect drink ground coffee in Sa, Ricoffy is Nestlé's cash cow, just tripled their dried coffee capacity in Sa to supply demand in Africa. Ricoffy is so bad I'll rather skip my fix than drink that stomach detergent.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ciro said they will be good for the coffee industry as a whole - raise the profile and demand for coffee, but Ricoffy is the widest drunk coffee by a huge margin in Sa, only 5% or something to that effect drink ground coffee in Sa, Ricoffy is Nestlé's cash cow, just tripled their dried coffee capacity in Sa to supply demand in Africa. Ricoffy is so bad I'll rather skip my fix than drink that stomach detergent.

I cant even Ricoffy, its not coffee but rather something else.

I would rather drink tea than that and Im not a tea fan.

I cant even Ricoffy, its not coffee but rather something else.

I would rather drink tea than that and Im not a tea fan.

It's mostly chicory.

Starbucks has been here before. They were in a few hotels. They closed down because they couldn't beat seattle. I tried there coffee then, and it's not great. Not terrible, certainly not great. Kinda like nespresso. More focus on reproducing a consistent flavour than a good one. There was something plastic about the flavour.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

That was the test, during the world cup, in hotel lobbies, which probably helped them plan their African onslaught. Probably why the local stores are not franchised, but owned by a heavyweight with deep pockets, who has the means to sustain the wait and see.

Starbucks has been here before. They were in a few hotels. They closed down because they couldn't beat seattle. I tried there coffee then, and it's not great. Not terrible, certainly not great. Kinda like nespresso. More focus on reproducing a consistent flavour than a good one. There was something plastic about the flavour.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Ishan Natalie is involved with the new *$ setup - at least he knows what coffee should taste like.

That is not to say it will....  despite their flagshit store being 100m away from my desk, I have not bothered yet.

Walked past the new SB shop in Rosebank Jhb, today, nice setup / spot. Will give it a go once the queues subside. Nothing else really going in the area imo.

Always happy to see one when I travel, knowing what you will get will be at least half decent.

They don't sell coffee - they sell a brand and an experience.

We were a bit late on the wagon with Starbucks in SA - but they were pretty unique and funky in their original approach and marketing globally - free wifi, beans from remote countries etc..

#itsnotaboutthecoffee

They don't sell coffee - they sell a brand and an experience.

We were a bit late on the wagon with Starbucks in SA - but they were pretty unique and funky in their original approach and marketing globally - free wifi, beans from remote countries etc..

#itsnotaboutthecoffee

It's about the coffee cup branding you walk around the mall with, so is Starbucks more "cool" than a vida, Seattle, truth etc if so, the poppies in the mall will buy and they will thrive. Simple, they could even sell empty cups and still make money.

It's about the coffee cup branding you walk around the mall with, so is Starbucks more "cool" than a vida, Seattle, truth etc if so, the poppies in the mall will buy and they will thrive. Simple, they could even sell empty cups and still make money.

Such a valid point, good old human nature, a marketers delight.

Every one of my Vida experiences have been bad. They just cant seem to get it right. I would rather drink Starbucks 100 times than a Vida again!

Every one of my Vida experiences have been bad. They just cant seem to get it right. I would rather drink Starbucks 100 times than a Vida again!

You are missing the point, its not aboutt whats IN the cup, its about the OUTSIDE branding of the cup...

You are missing the point, its not aboutt whats IN the cup, its about the OUTSIDE branding of the cup...

Aaaahh... Got it..

(but Vida still tastes like 3 spoons of Frisco in a cup) :ph34r: 

Probably why Vida is shutting down a lot of stores - Rosebank, Greenside and parktown north are all gone in the last year.

Probably why Vida is shutting down a lot of stores - Rosebank, Greenside and parktown north are all gone in the last year.

Have also noticed them closing down. Can't say I'm surprised though. Coffee was terrible!