Coffee machine

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone recently bought a Lelit with a grinder for around your budget...

Not sure what your requirements are? GX? Double boiler?

Check out the coffee classifieds on Facebook, plenty stuff popping up daily

Cool, seen the Lelit's, like the look of them. Just out of my budget including the grinder. 

After a HX or Dual boiler. Not too phased about that. Just can't be an eye-sore, otherwise I'm in the dog box. 

Have an Expobar on offer, at a decent price, just waiting to get all the details from the guy. 

Will check out Facebook too. Thanks. 

Been offered a Rancilio Rocky grinder for a decent price, are these good or should I rather save for a Eureka Specialta? 

Are you referring to the bean or roastery?

Which specefic bean is it.

You running a very similar operation to us, sounds good.

hi guys, i am interested in getting myself a coffee machine similarly to the Breville Barista Express (with grinder). I have tried to read through some of the pages but its overwhelming. What machine would you guys suggest, i have a budget for about R6.5 - R7k, it will be my first machine.

Edited by Arrie

hi guys, i am interested in getting myself a coffee machine similarly to the Breville Barista Express (with grinder). I have tried to read through some of the pages but its overwhelming. What machine would you guys suggest, i have a budget for about R6.5 - R7k, it will be my first machine.

As a trained (in France for 3 years) "flavour/perfume nose", and someone who has done sensory training on coffee, I use an AeroPress. Not sure of the current price in South Africa, but less than R1000, probably around R800. 

The quality of the coffee's organoleptic extraction, and sensory profile I get from it is better than anything I have ever done sensory evaluation on (or training). For the same quality level from a machine, I would need to spend R30k+. 

Save yourself a buckload of cash, and buy an AeroPress. 

Edited by Mark James

As a trained (in France for 3 years) "flavour/perfume nose", and someone who has done sensory training on coffee, I use an AeroPress. Not sure of the current price in South Africa, but less than R1000, probably around R800. 

The quality of the coffee's organoleptic extraction quality, and sensory profile I get from it is better than anything I have ever done sensory evaluation on (or training). For the same quality level from a machine, I would need to spend R30k+. 

What is your process on using the Aeropress?

What is your process on using the Aeropress?

I use a medium ground coffee, about 1-2 heaped teaspoons for a filter coffee extraction strength, 2-3 for an espresso type coffee, 4-5 for a ristretto type coffee.

I pour freshly boiled water (95C), and immediately fill to 3/4 of the container level, and leave stand for 3-4 minutes. During this time I pour some water into the coffee cup (which I later chuck out) to ensure it remains hot. 

​I currently use a metal filter (previously I was using the paper filters - you get about 200 in the box when you purchase the AeroPress), and press down slowly for about 20-30 seconds above a cup. 

That simple... 

Edited by Mark James

Cool, seen the Lelit's, like the look of them. Just out of my budget including the grinder. 

After a HX or Dual boiler. Not too phased about that. Just can't be an eye-sore, otherwise I'm in the dog box. 

Have an Expobar on offer, at a decent price, just waiting to get all the details from the guy. 

Will check out Facebook too. Thanks. 

Been offered a Rancilio Rocky grinder for a decent price, are these good or should I rather save for a Eureka Specialta? 

You're probably better off with a Eureka as the Rocky is stepped and might limit micro adjusting your grinds AFAIK. Haven't owned either but that's what research has brought up. Also, your wife will prefer the Eureka, easier on the eyes over the Rocky.

I use a medium ground coffee, about 1-2 heaped teaspoons for a filter coffee extraction strength, 2-3 for an espresso type coffee, 4-5 for a ristretto type coffee.

I pour freshly boiled water (95C), and immediately fill to 3/4 of the container level, and leave stand for 3-4 minutes. During this time I pour some water into the coffee cup (which I later chuck out) to ensure it remains hot. 

​I currently use a metal filter (previously I was using the paper filters - you get about 200 in the box when you purchase the AeroPress), and press down slowly for about 20-30 seconds above a cup. 

That simple... 

Thanks, was curious on what your process is. I currently use it basically as a french press, I find it quicker than using the filter coffee machine when only making for myself. I also have the metal filter which I prefer apart from having to clean it.

Which specefic bean is it.

You running a very similar operation to us, sounds good.

Its a Peaberry Natural from the Guji Region in Ethiopia. It's scores an SCA86.  It's beats any of the top end Yirgacheffes I have tasted.

Thanks, was curious on what your process is. I currently use it basically as a french press, I find it quicker than using the filter coffee machine when only making for myself. I also have the metal filter which I prefer apart from having to clean it.

JA, Way quicker than the coffee machine!!! lol

Suggestion: Only wash (rinse) the AeroPress with warm water, then leave to dry... don't put it in the dishwasher or use dishwashing liquid to clean it. It takes far quicker to clean, and leaves the oils from the coffee on the press... 

You should look at a Clever dripper as well. It works on the same principle as a french press - full immersion. Except you get zero bits in your coffee as it uses a filter paper. 

It has a pressure valve that only releases the coffee once you put it on top of your mug, so you can use it to make filter coffee as well.

They retail for about R500 and clean even quicker than an aeropress.

Its a Peaberry Natural from the Guji Region in Ethiopia. It's scores an SCA86.  It's beats any of the top end Yirgacheffes I have tasted.

My thoughts: Most Yirgacheffe's I have tasted in South Africa are over roasted, well past the light-medium levels that I think ideal.

Although the Italian influence in Ethiopia tends to a higher roasting level, the best Yirgacheffe's that I evaluated in Ethiopia over years of travelling there were all medium roast, or low roast... Which allowed for more floral/fruity notes to come through, and avoided the pyroxene molecules to overdevelop bringing through bitter walnut, nutty notes... 

Edited by Mark James

That simple... 

I bought the Fellow Prismo filter for the Aeropress which makes it even easier to use as you do not have to do the upside down method

Thanks Mark James. The next question will be then, which grinder should i get if go the AeroPress route.

The quality of the coffee's organoleptic extraction, and sensory profile I get from it is better than anything I have ever done sensory evaluation on (or training). For the same quality level from a machine, I would need to spend R30k+.