Coffee machine

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts: Most Yirgacheffe's I have tasted in South Africa are over roasted, well past the light-medium levels that I think ideal.

Although the Italian influence in Ethiopia tends to a higher roasting level, the best Yirgacheffe's that I evaluated in Ethiopia over years of travelling there were all medium roast, or low roast... Which allowed for more floral/fruity notes to come through, and avoided the pyroxene molecules to overdevelop bringing through bitter walnut, nutty notes... 

I 100% agree with your here. 

I roast my Ethiopian and Tanzanian beans a medium most if the time. When I go a tad darker(medium +) on the Guji it brings out a distinct chocolate vanilla flavour. 

The Italian influence is everywhere, and the majority of coffee drinker believe that coffee is strong and bitter. The is such a misconception that darker coffee is stronger - dark roasted coffee has less caffeine than light roasts. 

Even my espresso blends don't contain any DARK roasts and I have only had positive feedback on them.

I roast my Ethiopian and Tanzanian beans a medium most if the time. When I go a tad darker(medium +) on the Guji it brings out a distinct chocolate vanilla flavour.

The Italian influence is everywhere, and the majority of coffee drinker believe that coffee is strong and bitter. The is such a misconception that darker coffee is stronger - dark roasted coffee has less caffeine than light roasts.

Even my espresso blends don't contain any DARK roasts and I have only had positive feedback on them.

100% agree.

What you roasting on?

I mean, those cups cost as much as some entry level setups :ph34r:

Have some of your coffee en route. From the reviews it's going to be good. Looking forward. Can you perhaps assist with a tracking number for order?

People also seem to think coffee should be served at Lava rivaling temps

To what extent are Portafilters cross compatible? My Gaggia Classic runs a "standard" 58mm portafilter, but would one from say a Wega for instance fit and work the same?

Anyone....

Anyone....

You would need to check the orientation of the "ears" and their thickness. Some 58mm portafilters are nearly universal, but I can't remember which

Anyone....

Generally, no they are not compatible. However, it is possible that there are certain brands where you can share porta filters.

Anyone....

These ones aren't necessarily branded Wega , but do hint at compatibility at other machines.

But there does seem to be an element of 'Same Same, but Different'

https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/wega/products/e61-portafilter-with-spouts

These high quality generic portafilters are designed to work with any machine with an E61 group head. They are complete portafilters and include the handle, portafilter head, spouts (choose the version you want) and filter baskets. While you shouldn't have any issue with any E61 espresso machines, we can confirm that they will be a perfect fit for any Rocket or Wega espresso machine.

Given myself an itch that needs to be scratched, looking to upgrade my machine.

Currently have a Breville Barista express with built in grinder. So will need a grinder as well.

It has been suggested to me to look at the Eureke Mignon grinder. Is there anything else I should look at?

In terms of machine, I have found a used Expobar Brewtus, Used Isomac Tea and used Rancilio Classe 5 - are these any good or should I rather carry on saving and buy new?

If anyone has a decent and aesthetically pleasing grinder or machine they wanting to get rid of, in my price range, please let me know.

Budget is around R25k+- all in.

This guy had a very strict budget of R20k and ended spending R35k on this awesome set-up

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/115676-coffee-machine/page-421?do=findComment&comment=3774455

Given myself an itch that needs to be scratched, looking to upgrade my machine.

Currently have a Breville Barista express with built in grinder. So will need a grinder as well.

It has been suggested to me to look at the Eureke Mignon grinder. Is there anything else I should look at?

In terms of machine, I have found a used Expobar Brewtus, Used Isomac Tea and used Rancilio Classe 5 - are these any good or should I rather carry on saving and buy new?

If anyone has a decent and aesthetically pleasing grinder or machine they wanting to get rid of, in my price range, please let me know.

Budget is around R25k+- all in.

This guy had a very strict budget of R20k and ended spending R35k on this awesome set-up

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/115676-coffee-machine/page-421?do=findComment&comment=3774455