Coffee machine

46 minutes ago, Trashy said:

I really struggled with my Express. Using fresh beans was the secret to success.

My grinder is set to 5 for a fresh batch of coffee and moves to 4 just before the end.

Which basket are you using? Any guesses on the pre-infusion and extraction times?

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mountain Bru said:

While we're on the topic of machine settings....

Can anyone give me some advice on dialing in my machine? I got a Barista Express last week, and since then I've been trying to find a suite spot for everything. It's not bad at the moment, but it's not as amazing as it could be (and should be).

At the moment, I have my grind setting on "10", my dose is 18g (which I measure), I pre-infuse for 3-4 seconds, and then pull the shot. Oh and I'm using the double shot, single wall basket. 

But the pressure currently goes pretty high (past vertical on the dial), and the shot extracts far quicker then a want. It's usually around 18s for a 45g yield, and then I stop the shot because I can see the extraction is finished by the white, watery consistency coming out of the portafilter. 

Anyone have any suggestions on how to slow the extraction down so that I can get a 2:1 yield, so 36g, in around 27s?

(For the record, I don't see any signs of channeling on the puck, but my eyes are maybe missing something....)

20210921_164137.jpg.24c66ca5fb96aa88152ad8ef2eba9be4.jpg

It looks like the water is punching through your puck. I would grind finer, lower the dose to 16 to create more space between the head and puck and distribute the coffee before tamping.

On 9/21/2021 at 6:35 PM, Mudsimus said:

It looks like the water is punching through your puck. I would grind finer, lower the dose to 16 to create more space between the head and puck and distribute the coffee before tamping.

Agree, finer grind, and 16g dose, if you overdose you can damage the group head when the coffee expands, ive learnt the hard way. Tamp moderate to hard but in such a way that you can do it the same every time for consistency. another tip is to run half a cup of water through the group head or steamer, as hot water, just to make sure that the boiler is heating again and at the right temperature, since it doesnt have PID it would have quite a range of temperature where it switches on or off. I really found this to work when dialing in the shot. good luck

I also have the barista express. Very sensitive to old beans, as the extraction time is way too quick when the beans are old.

Also, check the grinder setting on the burr itself when the hopper is removed. I used to operate at the finest grind setting on the dial, but then opted to adjust the burr setting finer with  2 notches. Now I am always at around 5/6 setting on the grind dial.

• 2 weeks later...

I Hubbers,

so about a year ago I bought a Rancilio Silvia and Rancilio bur grinder after using Nespresso pods for almost 5 years. With the help of fellow rubbers I dialed it in and what a revelation. The Nespresso usually go with us on holiday. Last week we did the Namakwa 4x4 echo route from Pella to Vioolsdrift. This was bare camping with no  ablution facilities. For this trip I bought a moka pot and ground my beans. I used a gas stove and sort of dialed the moka pot in if you can use the term. I believe the moka pot delivers better coffee than the Nespresso. Anyone else here use a moka pot instead of a Nespresso machine?

Edited by JoeyK
spelling error

Think the general consensus here is that most things are better then Nespresso.

Been using my Moka pot again a fair bit recently when I just want a quick americano style instead of warming up the Gaggia for a Cappuccino 

I don't use it as much as used to, but my Moka pot is dearly loved.

Whenever I'm gifted coffee that isn't fresh enough for the Barista Express, this beauty makes a superb drink from it.

It's also my travel companion on every trip.

IMG_20211007_193106.jpg

IMG_20211007_193123.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, definitely an upgrade on the provided one.

I still have and use my custom tamper made by hubber Grebel a while back.

39 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Nice, definitely an upgrade on the provided one.

I still have and use my custom tamper made by hubber Grebel a while back.

Me too actually need to message him up ask him if he's keen to make me another.

The rocket(lelit) basket I'm using is maybe .8-1mm bigger than my oscar basket was

This was definitely a nice upgrade!

The one that comes with the machine is a bit too small in my opinion, so @Mountain Bru made this about 0.8mm bigger to give it a nice, flush fit.

Edited by Trashy
Tag

On 10/7/2021 at 5:55 PM, JoeyK said:

I Hubbers,

so about a year ago I bought a Rancilio Silvia and Rancilio bur grinder after using Nespresso pods for almost 5 years. With the help of fellow rubbers I dialed it in and what a revelation. The Nespresso usually go with us on holiday. Last week we did the Namakwa 4x4 echo route from Pella to Vioolsdrift. This was bare camping with no  ablution facilities. For this trip I bought a moka pot and ground my beans. I used a gas stove and sort of dialed the moka pot in if you can use the term. I believe the moka pot delivers better coffee than the Nespresso. Anyone else here use a moka pot instead of a Nespresso machine?

Should try an Aeropress !!!

And be amazed !!!

On 10/7/2021 at 5:55 PM, JoeyK said:

I Hubbers,

Been using a Mocha pot exclusively since a little bit before lock-down started, and you can make a pretty decent coffee with it with a bit of practice.

Hey Guys I'm selling my 2 espresso grinders.

1. Fiorenzato F64 R7 500

2. Baratza Sette 270 - R4500

PM me for more info