Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good info, thanks for posting! How many of us run wider than 2.5 tyres? Will be interesting to see how the new generation Arch rims hold up, compared to the last generation "fragile" Arch's

my previous gen Arches held up rather well....was rocking around the 2.35" / 2.25" width tyres and in 26'er flavour.

would also be interested to see how the Arches hold out with the wider width .... the new width is similar to what I had on a set of Dartmoor raiders and these were just perfect with a 2.35" HD on the rear and a 2.5" DHF on the front.

#varkhart

How much did they charge for the trade in?  

Keen to know this as well. If it's a reasonable price, might upgrade to an 820.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry chaps, only saw this now.

the fee was R 1735

keep in mind it is not an upgrade. my 500 case was damaged, they can't repair it so they offer the "upgrade"

Edited by #varkhart

Except that flows take "2.35 up". And are stronger and more Enduro friendly. I'd say the arches are more for the weight conscious trail rider rather than all mountain / Enduro. That's where the Flows shine. The weight penalty is, after all, minimal

Oh. And 35mm internal running 2.35s and they're flippin amazeballs.

Still great wheels, mind.

"25% stiffer and stronger for improved handling"

"Designed with input from our Enduro World Series teams"

Really comes down to who one chooses to believe and personal experience I suppose. Having had 30 internal I personally am very sceptical about 35 internal resulting in a good tire profile on a 2.35. Unless it's a tire that weighs 1kg which is really not for me. 

The weight penalty is also not that little in my opinion. Yes a set of Flows weigh only 150g more than the Arches but you're going to want to fit tires that weigh 400g more per set and all of a sudden you sit with wheels that weigh half a kilo more and that's noticable to put it lightly.  

Then there's the fact that I weigh only 68kg and prefer a bike that can climb as well as it descends. You probably hit 10m roadgaps and can justify Flow rims but I sure can't   :D

Edited by Pyka

"25% stiffer and stronger for improved handling"

"Designed with input from our Enduro World Series teams"

Really comes down to who one chooses to believe and personal experience I suppose. Having had 30 internal I personally am very sceptical about 35 internal resulting in a good tire profile on a 2.35. Unless it's a tire that weighs 1kg which is really not for me.

Then there's the fact that I weigh only 68kg and prefer a bike that can climb as well as it descends. You probably hit 10m roadgaps and can justify Flow rims but I sure can't :D

In my dreams yeah.... Lol.

If you look at the profile they give for the undesirable profile, a 2.35" tyre (59.6mm wide) would need to be on a ~40-45mm internal rim before it starts looking like that.

I get what they're saying... I really do. And there is a point at which a tyre gets too square and sacrifices cornering ability and sidewall integrity. But that is not at 30mm. 35mm is pushing it, sure, but not to the extent that they're portraying there. Personally it's improved my cornering as there's no way I can get the same lean angles as the pros. Which means a slightly squarer side knob is a good thing. For me.

But ja. Arch is a good lightweight option which is also pretty strong. It's just that it's on the narrow side of things.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

If you look at the profile they give for the undesirable profile, a 2.35" tyre (59.6mm wide) would need to be on a ~40-45mm internal rim before it starts looking like that.

I get what they're saying... I really do. And there is a point at which a tyre gets too square and sacrifices cornering ability and sidewall integrity. But that is not at 30mm. 35mm is pushing it, sure, but not to the extent that they're portraying there. Personally it's improved my cornering as there's no way I can get the same lean angles as the pros. Which means a slightly squarer side knob is a good thing. For me.

But ja. Arch is a good lightweight option which is also pretty strong. It's just that it's on the narrow side of things.

No man, you've been completely brainwashed :D

Calling 26 internal "narrow" is completely and utterly RIDONCULOUS

Edited by Pyka

Don't be a woes, if you want to go wider then do it properly

p4pb10923938.jpg

no fanks. There's a limit to how wide I wanna go (that's not what she said)

35mm may well be the limit. And 25mm IS narrow, in the view of current wheel widths. 

I get what you're saying, but keep in mind that most of the rubber everyone is running was designed (read: optomised) on much narrower rims that which everyone is running now. That's why Maxxis even brough out the WT versions of the Minions. 

Lots of WC and EWS racers are still on rims under 30mm internal width. 

I'll be running 2.3's on my 27mm rims , I think I could run into problems with 2.3's on 35mm rims , no ? :ph34r:

I get what you're saying, but keep in mind that most of the rubber everyone is running was designed (read: optomised) on much narrower rims that which everyone is running now. That's why Maxxis even brough out the WT versions of the Minions. 

Lots of WC and EWS racers are still on rims under 30mm internal width. 

yeah, and the 2.5WT is the same width as a standard schwalbe 2.35... so it's really difficult to say which tyres work better on which rims. 

Plus - marketing. 

Anyway - real world experience - Hans Dampfs work FAR better on 35mm rims than on 25's. As in FAR Better. They're pretty round to begin with, so the squaring off seems to aid their grip characteristics. Insofar as my Magic Mary and Spaz Slaughter go, they're really not that much mroe square than on the 24mm internal rims that my 35's replaced. But I can run them WAY lower, and they have oodles more grip and lateral integrity. 

Enduro pros mostly in the 25-32mm range. They Richie Rude on 30's, Cody Kelly on 25's. 

Look, I was VERY worried that the 35's were gonna be "too wide" but I carried on remembering how Iwan's DERBY rims transformed the HD's. Those were 34mm internal. So I took the plunge, trusting myself and the knowledge that on my preferred tyre (2.35 Magic Mary) there would be ~15mm "pinching" on each side (30mm total pinch at the bead) thereby emulating Stan's "wideright" profile representation. 

If I was running 2.2's or 2.25's... it'd probably be a different story. But on a tyre with a width of 58-62mm or so (which is what most Schwalbe 2.35's and Maxxis 2.4's and 2.5's are) the representation of "the bell" would only be satisfied with a VERY wide rim, like the WTB Scraper (45mm internal) 

Hell, even a 2.2 (56mm wide if the measurement is truly 2.2") on a 35mm internal rim has 21mm of "pinch" 

IOW - I think that graphic is VERY misleading.

Edited by Myles Mayhew