RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

The attitude of majority out there regarding roads is scary. Yesterday I asked someone about his reason for parking the way he did. He should me the finger and told me the road is not mine. I laughed at him and told him he aint getting far with his selfish attitude and his determination to inconvenience others. Luckily I am fasting!!

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're gonna run out of film taking photos of cars in the Woodstock cycle lane, Oufy.

yep, was on capetalk this morning,with the DJ jabbing with why the City is on a mission to impound job creating uber drivers' cars, but it can't effectively deal with cars parked illegally which pose an actual safety risk. Its a pity the DJ didn't' give the guest (can't remember, but it was someone important apparently) a chance to respond.

yep, was on capetalk this morning,with the DJ jabbing with why the City is on a mission to impound job creating uber drivers' cars, but it can't effectively deal with cars parked illegally which pose an actual safety risk. Its a pity the DJ didn't' give the guest (can't remember, but it was someone important apparently) a chance to respond.

That idiot Vernon who does the Early Breakfast thing mentioned it too. Said he didn't think that cycle lanes were important and that money on cycle lanes would be better spent on buses and trains. Didn't see any benefit of bike transport.   

It's the Kieno Kammies Show.  Not the "let's hear what my guest actually has to say Show".  Talk radio is the mental equivalent of Brooklax.

I just wished they smoothed out a section on the bridge so we could cycle over, waiting there is k@k!

I just wished they smoothed out a section on the bridge so we could cycle over, waiting there is k@k!

That bridge is moerse steep to ride up ..... also been looking at riding down, but that little landing midway and the angle has made me avoid this.

That idiot Vernon who does the Early Breakfast thing mentioned it too. Said he didn't think that cycle lanes were important and that money on cycle lanes would be better spent on buses and trains. Didn't see any benefit of bike transport.   

in fairness to him its not like city of cape town builds cycling lanes running to the communities that really need access to an alternative form of public transport and so to the majority of cape town residents they don't mean a thing ....

its not like most all the people in blouberg etc and rondebosch  etc don't have a car (they choose to cycle )

maybe us cyclists would take less flak about the lanes if there was one or two  that ran out onto the flats and more of those folk in those communities could commute safely by bike  

strength in numbers :thumbup:

in fairness to him its not like city of cape town builds cycling lanes running to the communities that really need access to an alternative form of public transport and so to the majority of cape town residents they don't mean a thing ....

its not like most all the people in blouberg etc and rondebosch  etc don't have a car (they choose to cycle )

maybe us cyclists would take less flak about the lanes if there was one or two  that ran out onto the flats and more of those folk in those communities could commute safely by bike  

There are cycle lanes that run into those areas, I have seen then one running from Lavender hill into tokai and I know there is one around the R300 area I think.

Its just the ones where there is no space to put a bike lane that causes the media attention.

Less people in cars and on bikes, regardless of where they come from relieves traffic for everyone.

You would be amazed the no. of (regular) riders commuting on the Table View route to work and back in overalls and "worker boots" ... riders who clearly do not look to earn large pay packets.

I don't have a car, the wife does, but I sold mine over 10 years ago because I cycle to work and back. 

That specific route you refer to was a real death trap before, I mean that literally as there were a fair no. of cyclist who lost their lives on that stretch of road prior to the cycle lanes being constructed.

The Cycle lanes are starting closer to the city and spreading out, there is a long term master plan / thinking behind this. The Table View line was fortunate as the Mycity bus line was being built and the cycle lane could piggy back off this.

I have made the "choice" to cycle to work and back many years ago.....you say "choose to cycle" in an almost condescending way. Do you "choose" to drive to work instead of taking public transport or cycling?

The fact that the cycle lane still need to expand further from the CBD does not give motorists and vendors the right to take over the cycle lanes for their own purposes. Cyclists in the further reaching neighbourhoods, and even those with cycle lanes, could then also take the view of simply cycling in the middle of the roads to where they wish if this principle of "do what you want" is applied.

In closing, I do not think your post actually adds any value to the thread. If you created a thread that focuses on creating more cycle lanes it would have a little more bearing, this thread is focused on the issues relating to the existing cycle lanes, and hopefully the lessons learnt here can be carried ahead to the future lanes being built.

soooorrrry ill stay off your valuable thread then keep those photos coming

Edited by velomonatiCT

soooorrrry ill stay off your valuable thread then keep those photos coming

Thank you for your valuable comment .... if it is relevant.