RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bernard Horn said:

Cycle lane from Blaauwberg rd along R27 towards Sunningdale is a disgrace with rubbish, weeds,glass,sh.t.North of Sandown rd it is worse with sand on the lane from cable theft.Saw a brave lady running amongst all of this.

I would like to comment and post this on my Twitter account (The CTCycleLanes one) but it has been blocked due to "spam" and Twitter are so useless that after numerous requests for this to be removed, have not even replied to me ..... would love to know who or what tagged the posts as "spam"

Can anyone by anychance assist with getting this up and running again?

1 hour ago, DJR said:

...........and I see the City is currently asking for suggestions on Future Transport Development.............and we are all asked to contribute re. possible non-motorized transport of the future, what and where we want! How about the idiots just fix what cycle lanes we have first, replace the broken fences with stronger barriers, move the vagrants and criminals away from where they cause trouble...........and THEN we'll tell them what to do next! Like making the whole of the CBD pedestrian, like tripling parking costs within the city centre, like fixing public transport, taking over the rail system and fixing that, cleaning up the bus system, getting the MyCity towards the airport working again, sorting out the taxi war..................THEN I'll tell them to build a cycle path from Westlake to the city centre, from Kayelitsha to town, from Durbanville to town.............all SEPARATE from existing roads, patrolled, secured and monitored to keep it safe. Oh, and a MyCity each for the Southern and Northern and Eastern Suburbs

and the new amazon offices at the river club are busy constructing some sort of huge foundation right in the river on the m5 side🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

and the new amazon offices at the river club are busy constructing some sort of huge foundation right in the river on the m5 side🤷‍♂️

I have been told it is a temporary thing, whatever it is.

14 hours ago, Hairy said:

I would like to comment and post this on my Twitter account (The CTCycleLanes one) but it has been blocked due to "spam" and Twitter are so useless that after numerous requests for this to be removed, have not even replied to me ..... would love to know who or what tagged the posts as "spam"

Can anyone by anychance assist with getting this up and running again?

Try twitter .See there was a test on CTCycleLanes

4 hours ago, Bernard Horn said:

Try twitter .See there was a test on CTCycleLanes

Thanks, I did log in yesterday again and it seems to be running with the "TEST" I posted. No explanation, no notification that the account is active again, nothing from them at all.

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2022 at 12:48 PM, DJR said:

...........and I see the City is currently asking for suggestions on Future Transport Development.............and we are all asked to contribute re. possible non-motorized transport of the future, what and where we want! How about the idiots just fix what cycle lanes we have first, replace the broken fences with stronger barriers, move the vagrants and criminals away from where they cause trouble...........and THEN we'll tell them what to do next! Like making the whole of the CBD pedestrian, like tripling parking costs within the city centre, like fixing public transport, taking over the rail system and fixing that, cleaning up the bus system, getting the MyCity towards the airport working again, sorting out the taxi war..................THEN I'll tell them to build a cycle path from Westlake to the city centre, from Kayelitsha to town, from Durbanville to town.............all SEPARATE from existing roads, patrolled, secured and monitored to keep it safe. Oh, and a MyCity each for the Southern and Northern and Eastern Suburbs

You maybe have a LINKY to that survey? Could not find it doing a basic search, and keen to read (and respond) thanks!

11 hours ago, Zebra said:

You maybe have a LINKY to that survey? Could not find it doing a basic search, and keen to read (and respond) thanks!

I got it by e-mail with my municipal account on 6 January, but the deadline for submissions was 13 January, so, sadly, I did not get around to submit anything.

• 1 month later...

After another rant  on fb about the safety on the cycle lane from Paardeneiland to CBD I decided to have a look because I am keen to start commuting again.Some spots in Paardeneiland with glass on the lane.Near Lower Church st bridge  the plants between cycle lane and bus lane have been trimmed down so you have a clear view of section ahead. Metro cops at the N1 underpass.Saw 3 commuters  around 5.30 pm.Won't use it in the dark early AM ,but  thinking about using it in the afternoon on way home.

7 minutes ago, Bernard Horn said:

After another rant  on fb about the safety on the cycle lane from Paardeneiland to CBD I decided to have a look because I am keen to start commuting again.Some spots in Paardeneiland with glass on the lane.Near Lower Church st bridge  the plants between cycle lane and bus lane have been trimmed down so you have a clear view of section ahead. Metro cops at the N1 underpass.Saw 3 commuters  around 5.30 pm.Won't use it in the dark early AM ,but  thinking about using it in the afternoon on way home.

still wouldnt do it alone any time of the day....

The skollies are brazen and opportunistic in that area. They don't operate on a schedule.

on a different but slightly related note...i drove on the n1 into town recently and saw some surveyors pointing levels, lazers and gps locators at and around lower church bridge....

so my built environment  spidey sense tell me that bridge and offramps are getting upgraded soon.

Edited by MORNE

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Bernard Horn said:

Newly erected on cycle lane in Paardeneiland to protect a drain cover.Excuse the urinator behind the cage

20220420_070117-1.jpg

WTF!!!!!

What's the bet the cage is stolen the same time the drain cover is stolen next time

22 minutes ago, Bernard Horn said:

Newly erected on cycle lane in Paardeneiland to protect a drain cover.Excuse the urinator behind the cage

20220420_070117-1.jpg