RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

7 minutes ago, DJR said:

The smell of sewerage also serves as a wake up call from 100 metres away. Disgusting.

That whole area all the way to woodbridge smells like a Dunoon porta-potty. I dont know how true it is but someone i know living in milnerton ridge told me some of that smell is indeed runoff from Dunoon into that lagoon. Sif

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, MORNE said:

That whole area all the way to woodbridge smells like a Dunoon porta-potty. I dont know how true it is but someone i know living in milnerton ridge told me some of that smell is indeed runoff from Dunoon into that lagoon. Sif

As far as I know it is the sewerage works servicing the whole of the West Coast including all the new developments, that have not been upgraded and expanded to cope with the increased volume of new ****, so they cannot treat the raw sewerage sufficiently and release a massive volume of half treated sewerage back into the stream that enters into the vleis and the lagoon. DuNoon cannot help the situation, but it is not the only culprit. Rietvlei was recently closed because it was unsafe for watersports and the Milnerton Aquatic Club basically stopped functioning because of dangerously high levels of e-coli in the water. If you look at the water hyacinth overgrowth and the forests of it drifting out into the bay, then that system is SEVERELY polluted. (I was part of a plastics clean up there this very morning and I tell you, it is SHOCKING - a very shitty blot on the (mostly good) name of the Cape Town City Council.

The Black river is probably as bad or worse (smells the same and as clogged with hyacinth and plastic). The exact same can be said for the streams and vleis in the Muizenberg area. Horribly polluted and abused.

The Liesbeeck is a lot better, but mostly because of landowners and residents (not the council) keeping it clean. The numbers of homeless and vagrants overrunning the Liesbeeck lately, makes it difficult and sometimes dangerous though. ????

OK, that was my rant for the day!

Easy to OTB on those pipes. They are rock hard with pressure in it, and can be mistaken for being soft like when there is no pressure in it

52 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Easy to OTB on those pipes. They are rock hard with pressure in it, and can be mistaken for being soft like when there is no pressure in it

A friend's dad had to help a recumbent cyclist over that pipe the other day... Wish there was a better solution.

16 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

A friend's dad had to help a recumbent cyclist over that pipe the other day... Wish there was a better solution.

There is, and it seems that if you dont work for the fire department, there is no need for the little ramps.

something like this

Hose, Pipe & Cable Ramp for Pumping, Municipal and Construction | HandiRamp

or 

ramps put in place by firefighters to protect there hoses from traffic  Stock Photo - Alamy

• 3 months later...

I was starting to think I was the only one to mind…how did I miss that thread !

Edited by Jbr

1 hour ago, Bernard Horn said:

Why haul somebody's trash half a km down the cycle lane  only to dump it and smash a  spkling wine bot in the middle of the lane.The mind boggles

20211030_174452-1.jpg

There is no mind involved to do that.

On 7/10/2021 at 5:12 PM, DJR said:

As far as I know it is the sewerage works servicing the whole of the West Coast including all the new developments, that have not been upgraded and expanded to cope with the increased volume of new ****, so they cannot treat the raw sewerage sufficiently and release a massive volume of half treated sewerage back into the stream that enters into the vleis and the lagoon. DuNoon cannot help the situation, but it is not the only culprit. Rietvlei was recently closed because it was unsafe for watersports and the Milnerton Aquatic Club basically stopped functioning because of dangerously high levels of e-coli in the water. If you look at the water hyacinth overgrowth and the forests of it drifting out into the bay, then that system is SEVERELY polluted. (I was part of a plastics clean up there this very morning and I tell you, it is SHOCKING - a very shitty blot on the (mostly good) name of the Cape Town City Council.

The Black river is probably as bad or worse (smells the same and as clogged with hyacinth and plastic). The exact same can be said for the streams and vleis in the Muizenberg area. Horribly polluted and abused.

The Liesbeeck is a lot better, but mostly because of landowners and residents (not the council) keeping it clean. The numbers of homeless and vagrants overrunning the Liesbeeck lately, makes it difficult and sometimes dangerous though. ????

OK, that was my rant for the day!

The DA.... Getting **** done

4 hours ago, Mamil said:

The DA.... Getting **** done

It is not that clear cut and simple. National Gov. has a greater impact on all of this.

Hey, moaners and groaners, why don't the local cycle clubs, on a rotational basis, pick a few members who use these routes regularly to pack a black bag or two (with a gardening glove) to pick up glass and rubbish off the  cycle track and leave it on the side of the road.

Yes, this could be a schlep...but the schelp of a few will become the joy of many, many others!

This is a workable solution. Anyone else offering a solution??

5 minutes ago, robbybzgo said:

Hey, moaners and groaners, why don't the local cycle clubs, on a rotational basis, pick a few members who use these routes regularly to pack a black bag or two (with a gardening glove) to pick up glass and rubbish off the  cycle track and leave it on the side of the road.

Yes, this could be a schlep...but the schelp of a few will become the joy of many, many others!

This guy. I like this guy!

Over here the volunteer system works tremendously.

It's one of the best ways to effecr change and dear god SA needs a bit of that!

27 minutes ago, robbybzgo said:

20 minutes ago, Eldron said:

This guy. I like this guy!

Over here the volunteer system works tremendously.

It's one of the best ways to effecr change and dear god SA needs a bit of that!

Well I was going to send you links from my CTCyclelanes Twitter account (That I have not accessed for a while) where there are posts of our group cleaning up the sections of lanes over weekends, but for some bloody reason Twitter has suspended the account.

Sent them a request for removal of the suspension, so waiting for a good outcome.

No freaking idea why they would suspend the account as it certainly does not infringe on any of their rules of code of conduct.

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

Well I was going to send you links from my CTCyclelanes Twitter account (That I have not accessed for a while) where there are posts of our group cleaning up the sections of lanes over weekends, but for some bloody reason Twitter has suspended the account.

Sent them a request for removal of the suspension, so waiting for a good outcome.

No freaking idea why they would suspend the account as it certainly does not infringe on any of their rules of code of conduct.

Easy, Alan Winde probably reported you because you always tagged him in and it was starting to look bad haha. Kinda like those photos you see every now and then of unfinished toilets in the middle of the bush that cost ‘R250mil’ or some crap by the governing party. The cycle lanes went to **** on his watch.

Edited by MORNE

7 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Easy, Alan Winde probably reported you because you always tagged him in and it was starting to look bad haha. Kinda like those photos you see every now and then of unfinished toilets in the middle of the bush that cost ‘R250mil’ or some crap by the governing party. The cycle lanes went to **** on his watch.

Twitter have asked to confirm my email by replying to the email they sent me in order to start the process of opening the account again ... so one step closer :P