RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

Calm down wena about the drain covers with your colonial tendencies. These covers are needed for Solly's Scrap (sorry to the Sollys; it is fictitious) and he pays SAPS and CoCT law "enforcement" good money to keep away.

Africa not for sissies. You want service - burn tyres.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

please man ... have you seen the price of bicycle tyres, it would be cheaper to buy the covers and pay a contractor to fit them than to burn bicycle tyres.

Calm down wena about the drain covers with your colonial tendencies. These covers are needed for Solly's Scrap (sorry to the Sollys; it is fictitious) and he pays SAPS and CoCT law "enforcement" good money to keep away.

Africa not for sissies. You want service - burn tyres.

Not re. a cycling lane, but the street directly outside my house:

A pothole formed over the past year or so, gradually getting bigger and deeper right on the edge of the road where cyclists (yes, like myself) would ride. I logged onto the City of Cape Town website, Roads & Transport, logged a complaint and a picture of the hole with a request to please fix it for safety reasons. Did that on Thursday two weeks ago........by Wednesday the very next week it was fixed! Impressive!

• 2 months later...

Same shttt difren day it's always nightmare competing with cars and people on cycle lane. Another thing that make my blood boil shatter glass in cycling lane ????

I cant understand why they cant fit those plastic bollards along the cycle lanes.  Even better would be concrete ones.

However, they can fit those plastic ones all over to prevent the taxis driving down yellow lanes and painted islands. Epic fail as well!

Same shttt difren day it's always nightmare competing with cars and people on cycle lane. Another thing that make my blood boil shatter glass in cycling lane

lost a fairly good tyre to debris on the road this week

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see a few Cpt Traffic officers walking down lower main road Salt River issuing fines for cars parked in cycle lanes, etc.

On the surface, I like the idea.

But its a useless action unless its done regularly to enforce the rule.

If its a once-off, it will just piss people off and they will ignore the tickets

Good to see a few Cpt Traffic officers walking down lower main road Salt River issuing fines for cars parked in cycle lanes, etc.

Probably fining the homeless people :ph34r: 

Sorry Cippo, I agree, it's a good thing. If they can just do it every day for a month, it will be a great start. Then from the next month tow all the cars parked in the cycle lane and impound them. From the 3rd month they should just crush them and sell the scrap metal. By month 4 the cycle lane will be clear! Vote for me for Mayor of Salt River! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Cippo, I agree, it's a good thing. If they can just do it every day for a month, it will be a great start. Then from the next month tow all the cars parked in the cycle lane and impound them. From the 3rd month they should just crush them and sell the scrap metal. By month 4 the cycle lane will be clear! Vote for me for Mayor of Salt River! ;)

Then you have to submit a request for such to the city every day for a month

I did that and have had traffic outside KPMG fining every single taxi that pulls of the N1. 

Has been going on for 5 days now.