RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

I would like to see if this rant is still relevant??? Because the lack of cycling lanes leaving the CBD towards Rondebosch is a joke. Zero enforcement from the City, lanes are deteriorated and even parts dangerous.

Estimate how many people use that route on a daily basis? From my experience from the last 2 months easily 50 -100 people daily. Guestimate.... Would like to track and use count to show the City how Shity they are.

Th cycle lane on lower main out of town has kinda just disappeared and had been painted black in many places. The one into town is just a liability. It was never thought out by somebody who actually cycles

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride thru there daily. It would be nice if the lane was against the pavement and seperated by bollards from the parking area which should be next to the road.

Who do we approach?

Maybe Aunty Patt will make it all GOOD....but then she couldn't do it the first time round...or

Lipstick and a four letter word beginning with P on the windscreen....Instant Karma

Does anyone here cycle from CBD area to Century City? Or know the safety of a route from Vredehoek area, via Culemborg onto cycle lanes, through Paarden Eiland, up through Tijgerhof to Canal Walk BMW/Vida/VA area?

Does anyone here cycle from CBD area to Century City? Or know the safety of a route from Vredehoek area, via Culemborg onto cycle lanes, through Paarden Eiland, up through Tijgerhof to Canal Walk BMW/Vida/VA area?

Use Duncan Road inside the Port.They will let you in at the gate with a bike. (if not, tel them you work in the shipyard at Quay 500 or something)  Enter at the bottom of Christian Barnard road.

If that gate is closed, just go down toward CTICC and take the first right, to the next gate.

Edited by MDK!

• 1 month later...

Near Sunset beach traffic lights in the direction of the Diep River bridge 2 manhole covers have been stolen leaving deep holes in the middle of the cycle lane.Saw on fb that somebody was going to report it a few days ago but last night the holes were still not covered.

Be careful out there

Near Sunset beach traffic lights in the direction of the Diep River bridge 2 manhole covers have been stolen leaving deep holes in the middle of the cycle lane.Saw on fb that somebody was going to report it a few days ago but last night the holes were still not covered.

Be careful out there

Someone reported to council already and nothing happened since last Monday.  They should put orange bollard or warn others. it is scary in the dark. 

• 3 weeks later...

Someone reported to council already and nothing happened since last Monday.  They should put orange bollard or warn others. it is scary in the dark. 

Be careful out there

Went past this site yesterday morning and the holes are still uncovered but some brain surgeon has thrown the chevron on the Sunset beach side in to the hole.Climbed in to get it out .Pretty deep if you fall in.

Be careful out there

Thanks for taking them out!

Went past this site yesterday morning and the holes are still uncovered but some brain surgeon has thrown the chevron on the Sunset beach side in to the hole.Climbed in to get it out .Pretty deep if you fall in.

Be careful out there

Be careful out there

Just 2 weeks ago in Blackheath a 3yr old kid walking with is Dad fell down a drain and died even after his father jumped in to try and save him, The father says the force of the water flowing below was just too strong. You would think after an incident like this,(the community says they have lodged several complaints to the City about this drain) that the City would have acted immediately after complaints were received.

they are in election mode and too busy fear mongering...those drains will be fixed on the 10th probably :rolleyes: