RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

4 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Twitter have asked to confirm my email by replying to the email they sent me in order to start the process of opening the account again ... so one step closer :P

Your first post back you should tag alan winde and ask him how they can claim CT works if the cycle lanes dont even work haha

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Your first post back you should tag alan winde and ask him how they can claim CT works if the cycle lanes dont even work haha

Ooh, but the cycle lanes do work......................they work like a super fit guy with one 75% blocked coronary artery.............????

In the 1st six months of the year I picked up close to 100 black bags between Milnerton and Melkbos while I had lots of free time thanks to Covid.But the SE is back and so there is a lot more rubbish.All the homeless guys along the route does not help either.So this moaner is on the way to clean up, again

11 hours ago, Mamil said:

The DA.... Getting **** done

Zeekoivlei has also been closed for the last few months due to sewerage leaking in from the treatment station nearby. Really sucks for all the rowers :(

50 minutes ago, Bernard Horn said:

In the 1st six months of the year I picked up close to 100 black bags between Milnerton and Melkbos while I had lots of free time thanks to Covid.But the SE is back and so there is a lot more rubbish.All the homeless guys along the route does not help either.So this moaner is on the way to clean up, again

Nice work Mr Horn

1 hour ago, Bernard Horn said:

96a054c518571eb2a87e1f6c9bd480c4_crop_north.jpg

On 7/10/2021 at 5:12 PM, DJR said:

As far as I know it is the sewerage works servicing the whole of the West Coast including all the new developments, that have not been upgraded and expanded to cope with the increased volume of new ****, so they cannot treat the raw sewerage sufficiently and release a massive volume of half treated sewerage back into the stream that enters into the vleis and the lagoon. DuNoon cannot help the situation, but it is not the only culprit. Rietvlei was recently closed because it was unsafe for watersports and the Milnerton Aquatic Club basically stopped functioning because of dangerously high levels of e-coli in the water. If you look at the water hyacinth overgrowth and the forests of it drifting out into the bay, then that system is SEVERELY polluted. (I was part of a plastics clean up there this very morning and I tell you, it is SHOCKING - a very shitty blot on the (mostly good) name of the Cape Town City Council.

The Black river is probably as bad or worse (smells the same and as clogged with hyacinth and plastic). The exact same can be said for the streams and vleis in the Muizenberg area. Horribly polluted and abused.

The Liesbeeck is a lot better, but mostly because of landowners and residents (not the council) keeping it clean. The numbers of homeless and vagrants overrunning the Liesbeeck lately, makes it difficult and sometimes dangerous though. ????

OK, that was my rant for the day!

Still not sorted!

The sewage pump station at Milnerton has been broken for ages (lack of maintenance etc etc)so the only solution the municipal has at the moment is to send a guy out every day to manually pump the sewage to the other side of the road.(big red pipe) Don’t think there is a end in sight .Sorry but think the bike lanes will go the same way.Also was involved with a group of cyclists a while back cleaning bike lanes,cutting back overhang etc but it’s a loosing battle.The City should of stamped out immediately when squatters started building and setting up on the bike and bus lane.There are sections that have become like a squatter camp,you can go round with your buddies and clean up all you like but after a while(like the Woodstock area it’s a lost cause.)

There are sections of the bike lane cyclists skip because of safety as well as not really nice to cycle thru the rubbish and human sh@t and ride on the freeway.

Only a matter of time where cyclists will bypass the bike lanes completely and ride in the road.It’s starting already.

Edited by stringbean

5 hours ago, stringbean said:

The sewage pump station at Milnerton has been broken for ages (lack of maintenance etc etc)so the only solution the municipal has at the moment is to send a guy out every day to manually pump the sewage to the other side of the road.(big red pipe) Don’t think there is a end in sight .Sorry but think the bike lanes will go the same way.Also was involved with a group of cyclists a while back cleaning bike lanes,cutting back overhang etc but it’s a loosing battle.The City should of stamped out immediately when squatters started building and setting up on the bike and bus lane.There are sections that have become like a squatter camp,you can go round with your buddies and clean up all you like but after a while(like the Woodstock area it’s a lost cause.)

There are sections of the bike lane cyclists skip because of safety as well as not really nice to cycle thru the rubbish and human sh@t and ride on the freeway.

Only a matter of time where cyclists will bypass the bike lanes completely and ride in the road.It’s starting already.

I have ridden with a guy who was responsible for clearing out illegal structures and settlements in the City and greater metropole areas. His hands was tied with Patricia De Lille mandated that she felt it was not ethical to move people off these sites or locations. They made it more and more difficult for him to do his job to the point where he had no power left at all.

The City has recently implemented legislation to address this matter and have started actioning it. 

Now to see what the push back will be like from human rights organisations and other political parties / associations.

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I have ridden with a guy who was responsible for clearing out illegal structures and settlements in the City and greater metropole areas. His hands was tied with Patricia De Lille mandated that she felt it was not ethical to move people off these sites or locations. They made it more and more difficult for him to do his job to the point where he had no power left at all.

The City has recently implemented legislation to address this matter and have started actioning it. 

Now to see what the push back will be like from human rights organisations and other political parties / associations.

The City already already got a bloody nose recently for trying that.

The vagrants, homeless and land occupiers have very good legal help and I suspect political backing too. It is just too great a coincidence that the City of Cape Town gets taken to task for its' housing policy and problems around every corner, gets clobbered in the press, especially from Independent Media, while hardly a peep is heard about the much worse shambles in other parts of the country and other Metros. I would be very interested to know where the funding for all the legal challenges and groups like Reclaim The City comes from.

During the Covid Pandemic the problem with homeless people, vagrants, crime and illegal land occupation simply spiraled out of control and I do not think it can be solved again, not in a gentle and reasonable way. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Cycle lane from Blaauwberg rd along R27 towards Sunningdale is a disgrace with rubbish, weeds,glass,sh.t.North of Sandown rd it is worse with sand on the lane from cable theft.Saw a brave lady running amongst all of this.

On 10/31/2021 at 5:19 PM, Sid the Sloth said:

Zeekoivlei has also been closed for the last few months due to sewerage leaking in from the treatment station nearby. Really sucks for all the rowers :(

That is LUXURY. In my day they just pumped into straight into the lake, now its only a leak.

30 minutes ago, Bernard Horn said:

Cycle lane from Blaauwberg rd along R27 towards Sunningdale is a disgrace with rubbish, weeds,glass,sh.t.North of Sandown rd it is worse with sand on the lane from cable theft.Saw a brave lady running amongst all of this.

Agree 100%. Disgusting.

26 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

That is LUXURY. In my day they just pumped into straight into the lake, now its only a leak.

Sounds like a subtle reference to Monty Python's 4 Yorkshiremen Sketch...

"Oh you had a lake?.. you were lucky...We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel.."

...........and I see the City is currently asking for suggestions on Future Transport Development.............and we are all asked to contribute re. possible non-motorized transport of the future, what and where we want! How about the idiots just fix what cycle lanes we have first, replace the broken fences with stronger barriers, move the vagrants and criminals away from where they cause trouble...........and THEN we'll tell them what to do next! Like making the whole of the CBD pedestrian, like tripling parking costs within the city centre, like fixing public transport, taking over the rail system and fixing that, cleaning up the bus system, getting the MyCity towards the airport working again, sorting out the taxi war..................THEN I'll tell them to build a cycle path from Westlake to the city centre, from Kayelitsha to town, from Durbanville to town.............all SEPARATE from existing roads, patrolled, secured and monitored to keep it safe. Oh, and a MyCity each for the Southern and Northern and Eastern Suburbs