Tribute to Burry

mrbaker

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gone but not forgotten #iRide4Burry

Epic photo! Considering (I am guessing) the other riders are also pro!

I only started riding 2 years ago, but could probably write a book about everytime I heard someone mention and tell a story about him with the utmost respect and awe.

The first time I saw Burry was in 2009 in Port Edward. Both of us were riding the Sardine Classic, but of course he was in a higher batch. From there, I saw him on the odd occasion at various other mtb events, and I remember the rivalry he had with Kevin Evans at certain events. The one year when I did the 40km Karkloof Classic, I remember seeing Burry and Kevin gunning it for the finish line, it was like seeing lightning on wheels, of course they raced the 60km. I can't remember the events name, but I remember it finished at Inanda Dam, I saw Burry in the distance and thought that I had to shake his hand, and so I did. It was peeing with rain the one year at Hill 2 Hill, with almost impossible riding conditions - I saw Burry wearing more casual riding gear, I assume he was just taking it easy that day. 2012 mtb world cup in PMB came, and the air was electrifying at Cascades, with the majority of us rooting for Burry - I still wish to this day that he had taken first spot in that race.

Epic photo! Considering (I am guessing) the other riders are also pro!

I only started riding 2 years ago, but could probably write a book about everytime I heard someone mention and tell a story about him with the utmost respect and awe.

The riders pushing their bikes are legends in their own right, multiple world champions, ex-world champions, world cup champions, Olympic champions, etc, Burry was the only rider able to ride all the way up that steep and long technical climb.

post-3951-0-37489400-1515142690_thumb.jpg

So this flyer is for, what has now become an annual event, usually happens during the week leading up to the Cape Epic where Sauser would rope in any International & Local Pro in the country at the time to participate in this charity event whether you were participating in the Epic or not, it was also the last moment I could get a photo with Burry.

Thanks to this thread I've finally decided to upload some of the footage I took on this day back in 2012.

• 8 months later...

It was Burry's birthday on the 16th.

Happy birthday to the DART.

when world cups and especially world champs roll around, I always wonder where he would be in the pecking order. Probably gunning it out with all the other contenders to dethrone Nino.

• 3 months later...