Gear for Enduro 2.0

DR ◣◢

Sound good - where did you source them? Price?

Isiko sports brings them in

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you can order through Stoke ... then you will get good hubs with great LBS service too!

And Stoke stock some really decent 26'er Trail / AM tyres .... so double win win tchjina!

post-5403-0-67564700-1541594513_thumb.jpg

Got them at my LBS, they recommended them. Paid a little bit more for the set than what a Hope front boost hub costs at retail. About the same price as Rapide hubs.

Honestly can't say what the long term durability is like. But so far so good and the high engagement freehub is awesome. 

• 2 weeks later...

woa... Tenneco buys Ohlins racing.

Ö

hlins Racing has been an integral part of the motorsport, motorcycle and automotive industry since 1976, when Kenth Öhlin founded the company and created his first legendary motocross shock. Since then, Öhlins have been setting global industry standards by offering state-of-the-art suspension technology to racing teams, OEM partners and aftermarket. With distribution in 50 countries and manufacturing facilities in Europe and Asia, Öhlins has managed to combine global reach with world class industry knowledge.

With the acquisition of Öhlins, Tenneco will enhance their position as leading global designers, manufacturers and distributors of ride performance products and technologies. Öhlins will be a subsidiary of Tenneco and keep both its strong brand and team. Kenth Öhlin will continue to be part of Öhlins and provide continuity in strategic and technological development. He will retain a minority interest in the company and serve on the board of Öhlins.

Kenth Öhlin comments “Together, Öhlins and Tenneco will be a very strong constellation. After considering the strengths of both companies, I made the hardest decision of my life — to sell my life’s work. I am absolutely convinced that we are going to develop very positively in the future, and that Öhlins will benefit from the opportunities that will now arise due to Tenneco’s entrance.”

Sauce

I always had it in my head that Yamaha owned (at least a piece) of Ohlins. #missinformed

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gifp3pb16637944.jpg

The Italian motorsport suspension company has overhauled its entire range of shocks following input from EWS and World Cup racing

my dream shock :( If only that SWIFT nightmare would evaporate, i'd have one in time for me birthday :/

• 1 month later...

Guys I have another first world problem.. Talk to me about Pedals.

I still Ride good ol XT SPD's which serves me 100% 98% of the time. I have been thinking about Flats for a while with the focus on carrying more speed through corners since carrying speed is pretty much what Enduro is all about. I just find it nearly impossible to flatbox it around a loose flat corner without hovering my inside foot in-case I lose traction. On smooth hardpack getting my foot clipped back in is no problem, but In a rocky technical situation, getting the foot clipped in again often costs me the second or two I made up by clipping out in the first place. 

I use to Dirt jump with Flats for like 10 years and I have no problem with using them, however, I am not interested in going full flat pedal. So please lets not argue these points If it offends you, keep it to yourself.. :devil: If Flat pedals work for you. Its fine. 

I want to explore an option which I have not, mainly because it involves investing namely, a platform type DH/Enduro style SPD pedal with sneaker type flat soles around the SPD. Do these style of setups offer a good enough connection when not clipped back in that one can hit the next section confidently, without being clipped in? 

I want to explore an option which I have not, mainly because it involves investing namely, a platform type DH/Enduro style SPD pedal with sneaker type flat soles around the SPD. Do these style of setups offer a good enough connection when not clipped back in that one can hit the next section confidently, without being clipped in? 

TL;DR version: Maybe, but likely inbetween uncaged and flat, nowhere near enough as flat but certainly more than being uncleated on a 520, for example. 

IMO - sorta. Unless you're running something with pins like the Mallett EN / DH options, the Funn Mamba or the new Shimano SAINT (all seen below) the normal "caged" pedals like the Shimano M647 DX pedals (last ones) don't provide enough mechanical grip to mirror a proper flat pedal, and are just there to provide more support in rougher situations, so that not only the cleat interface is contacting the pedal and causing the rest of the shoe to deform. 

Add that to the fact that the cleat and pedal will have a metal-on-metal interface, which doesn't offer any grip at all, and I'd say that a clipless pedal, even those with a cage on, wouldn't offer nearly the same amount of grip as you'd get from a flat pedal OR a clipless pedal, when not clipped in. The pinned varieties would definitely offer more grip, if you had a 5-10 or equivalent flat-soled clipless shoe, but to what extent that grip would exceed the DX pedals, I'm not sure. 

I suppose it'd allow you to stomp back on the pedals with your mid-foot, until you get to a place that you can clip back in, but again I'm not sure how much grip that'd offer. Probably somewhere in the middle, IF you extend the pins out far enough. But if your cleat was touching the metal of the pedal itself, I'd say they'd offer almost no grip as you'd be resting metal on metal and the flex of the shoe may not be high enough to make contact with the pins. But then again, if you're on top of the mechanism, you're likely to clip straight back in... 

p5pb15457921.jpg

20151111_uAX7X0D3W4_MAMBA-01-601x400.jpg

pe184a01-black.jpg

s1600_pe703a09.jpg?1322088924

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

I still Ride good ol XT SPD's which serves me 100% 98% of the time. I have been thinking about Flats for a while with the focus on carrying more speed through corners since carrying speed is pretty much what Enduro is all about. I just find it nearly impossible to flatbox it around a loose flat corner without hovering my inside foot in-case I lose traction. On smooth hardpack getting my foot clipped back in is no problem, but In a rocky technical situation, getting the foot clipped in again often costs me the second or two I made up by clipping out in the first place.

I use to Dirt jump with Flats for like 10 years and I have no problem with using them, however, I am not interested in going full flat pedal. So please lets not argue these points If it offends you, keep it to yourself.. :devil: If Flat pedals work for you. Its fine.

Short answer yes...

BUT, not on XT pedals. Something like a 5.10 Kestrel or Maltese falcon offers good grip when not clipped in on something like a Crankbros Mallet pedals - the added pins offer nice grip, and the platform is a bit bigger than an XT, as well as being flat.

In my experience an XT trail pedal only offers protection for the pedal body against rock strikes, it does nothing as a platform to stand on.

Also something to consider, a 5.10 Maltese Falcon (this may apply to other models too but I only have experience with the Maltese), does not make contact at all with the sides of the pedal body of a Shimano pedal. This means the only contact point is the cleat which causes numbness on your feet - in my opinion it'a not compatible with Shimano pedals at all.

Something like a Spaz 2FO may not have that problem, but what I said about the XT pedal not providing any sort of platform to stand on would still apply.

So yeah, I think a worthy experiment if you have the cash. My money would be spent on Cranbros Mallet DH pedals and 5.10 Kestrels...

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Snip Snip

I?

Yours truly riding clipped out using shimano m530s with specialized rhyme shoes. On a rather rocky bit.

09c921e499dd729abe77f8bb45722461.jpg

Yours truly riding clipped out using shimano m530s with specialized rhyme shoes. On a rather rocky bit.

09c921e499dd729abe77f8bb45722461.jpg

And hence that look of fear in your face, haha. I know because I have 530's too.