Gear for Enduro 2.0

DR ◣◢

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yesterday I noticed these  in the recent SS 2019 Fox MTB clothing release vid. Fox playing coy with me by saying it's 'maybe something new'. Not even Vital or PB noticed it until i pointed it out. #first #onlycountsifyouactuallypostedacomment  :P

attachicon.gifnew lid 1.jpg

attachicon.gifnew lid 2.jpg

and it's finally revealed at Sea Otter. Great observation there Capricorn! :P

DESCRIPTION

THE ALL-NEW DROPFRAME HELMET

The Dropframe helmet is our maximum coverage trail helmet featuring ear protection and open-faced ventilation.

PRODUCT DETAILS
FEATURES
  • Dual-density Varizorb™ EPS liner provides improved protection by spreading forces of impact across a wider area
  • 8 Big Bore intake vents and 7 exhaust vents keep you cool and aid in moisture management
  • The fixed visor is positioned perfectly to channel air through the helmet
  • Fidlock® SNAP helmet buckle provides quick entry and exit while wearing gloves

post-6789-0-96330600-1555143232_thumb.jpg

Fox Racing website

No MIPS = lower price? Some reviewer is going to call this good value for money, but since it's a lid with no contemporary measure to mitigate risk of concussion, is cheaper really better? the argument for something is better than nothing is not really a good one anymore, because you don't need to be at risk of cracking your egg to suffer major brain trauma.

Edited by Capricorn

and it's finally revealed at Sea Otter. Great observation there Capricorn! :P

attachicon.gifFox drop0.jpg

Fox Racing website

No MIPS = lower price? Some reviewer is going to call this good value for money, but since it's a lid with no contemporary measure to mitigate risk of concussion, is cheaper really better? the argument for something is better than nothing is not really a good one anymore, because you don't need to be at risk of cracking your egg to suffer major brain trauma.

Took a Proper Slam on Iron Monkey on Saturday morning. Wind took my wheels from under me on the bigger jump up at the start of DH2, landed sideways and high-sided like I've never been slammed before. My Bell Super R2 chinbar broke in two. And the MIPS looks permanently Skew from the rotation. I've got a slight black eye from the abrasive impact, inside the lid. 

I'm pretty confident that had it been a "proper" full-face, I would have been a bit better off, think they are padded better, but would I have been wearing it? probably not, and If was not wearing the full face at all, Id probably still be chilling up there under a bush. 

I think I am now converted, excuse the pun. But going 3/4 of the way above wont save your face when you're really getting tossed.

Still maintain that we should all be using F/Face lids ... make the more XC focused ones with a little less protection if needed to get the weight and ventilation to a level that is acceptable, but F/Face is the way to go ..... now I need to take my own advice and get one too!

Still maintain that we should all be using F/Face lids ... make the more XC focused ones with a little less protection if needed to get the weight and ventilation to a level that is acceptable, but F/Face is the way to go ..... now I need to take my own advice and get one too!

It's all very well having one. I have one. I just never use it. And swear I will every time I crash. And don't. But I have one. 

agreed, but a XC and roadie lid are what they are, used my full face for the first time at hellsend this weekend, didn't take a while to get used, and i reckon you can come proper short there so was comfortable wearing it.

most other "trails" i don't wear it, i probably should. but i do feel like i will take "lesser" risks on other trails.

agreed, but a XC and roadie lid are what they are, used my full face for the first time at hellsend this weekend, didn't take a while to get used, and i reckon you can come proper short there so was comfortable wearing it.

most other "trails" i don't wear it, i probably should. but i do feel like i will take "lesser" risks on other trails.

Look, at a XC/Marathon/ Road race, whatever discipline where climbing and endurance is more important than downhill performance, the good old cx lid will always remain king. 

But, trailbikes are becoming more and more capable, and like what I did, the DH course is now suddenly much more appealing. I Had a near OTB also at the Hellsend flowtrail going fast (on the fast bit when you pass the DJ's) and I thought, my word, that would have Killed me!..And that's why I now have a FF. 

Took me a little while to get use to it, and when Its really hot I take the chin bar off and strap it to my camelback, other days I don't even bother. They do isolate you from the elements a bit, and I am contemplating If I would even have hit that jump in those conditions without the full-face. All in all it ended up well. I'm just bruised and swollen everywhere.

Eddy Gordo and other Michelin Wild enduro rear GumX 3d users: how much sealant and time was needed before the sidewalls stopped being porous? 

Rhetorical question really, as just more sealant and time will resolve the issue. Might be useful info to recall for those who will purchase the tyre, and then wonder why it's automagically deflating without an obvious cause.

Been a very long time ago now that i had to deal with porous sidewalls. Can't see any sealeant bleeding out the pores, but some soapy water revealed the culprit causing my tyre to deflate within 48 hrs. 

And it's on a very specific section of the sidewall, the  portion textured with lines highlighted below.

post-6789-0-50370800-1555939248_thumb.jpeg

These tyres are Tubeless Ready, so by definition, one can expect the sidewalls to be porous, as TLR refers only to the bead,not the rest of the carcass. Schwalbe has been spoiling me all these years, as their TLR SuperGravity tyres typically have zero sidewall bleeding.