Adverse analytical finding in recent mountain bike stage race

Tumbleweed

STANAZOL, PHEW WE ALL USE THAT, ITS LIKE BIOPLUS

Same drug that was found in the sheiks horses recently in Dubai.

Also what Ben Johnson used in the 1988 olympics

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for the guy, really whats the point of naming and shaming backmarkers - money wasted imo

I agree that it's maybe a waste of money to test the "backmarkers" but I do think it makes sense. It's not only the best riders who like to ride "competitively" or to challenge themselves. Do you think its fine for "backmarkers" to dope?

Say you're racing, in the G bunch, which is a "backmarker" I assume - would you think its fair if the people you are racing against are doping because they're not going for podium anyway...

Definitely think its not money well spent, as they are already short on funds, but it's pretty fair - and as someone who isn't going to podium i'm not complaining!

"Anabolic steroids, such as stanozolol, have no anti-inflammatory effect, and are used almost exclusively to promote weight and muscle gain. Most side-effects of stanozolol are related to its androgen-type effects (a male hormone)."

The next paragraph from Wikipedia was left off the quote on the prev page:

"Stanozolol is one of the anabolic steroids commonly used as a performance enhancing drug and is banned from use in sports competition under the auspices of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) and many other sporting bodies. Additionally, stanozolol has been used in US horse racing.[1]"

Accidental ingestion seems unlikely. The nature of the conditions it is used to treat would indicate serious consideration by a doctor with understanding of exercise activities and thus the understanding of the need for a TUE. This ain't treatment for a cold.

Yep. I don't know why everyone is saying "bioplus".

Edit: Oh and yes, you should research(read: google) every medication(drug) your doctor gives you! Don't trust pharmaceuticals one little bit!!

Edited by r0adrunner

Hi All,

Havent read the whole thread but there is a common sentiment of "why bother testing the mid to back fielders?"

Here are my thoughts: set the scene.

You train your butt off to complete epic in the top 600, making family and other sacrifices along the way. After 8 days of hard riding you are sitting in 700th place. you feel disappointed, but somehow justify in your head that you need to train harder next year.

Later you discover that 200 people (placings 0-699) where found to have used PED's). So now you actuallly finished 500th, do you feel cheated or will you have the same view of "why bother testing the mid to back fielders?"

I certainly will, irrespective of whether I finish ahead of a doper or behind one, its cheating, and will feel cheated.

I still maintain the largest dopers (users of PED's) are the vet and sub vets as they want to prove to their mates that they are still the racing snake from 20 years ago and can beat the group with zero training!

Its not about race results, but bragging rights who won the weekend race with your mates!

He could have used a steroid for medical reasons and not known.Why was he tested if he races mid pack?

It looks like it may not have been as innocent as i thought then.

Needs to face the music, but truly a waste of resources really, test those that have a full racing licence. That covers all the 'pros' and serious amateurs across the competitive categories.

The lack of consistent application of the rules and following protocol is a concern though, completely counter productive.

Cycling SA received notification from the UCI (International Cycling Union) of an adverse analytical finding from a sample provided by Barry Warmback on 18 March 2013 at the Absa Cape Epic.

Click here to view the article

Needs to face the music, but truly a waste of resources really, test those that have a full racing licence. That covers all the 'pros' and serious amateurs across the competitive categories.

The lack of consistent application of the rules and following protocol is a concern though, completely counter productive.

Hmm not so sure about it being a waste of time, anyone who cheats or attempts to cheat (dope) should be scared of being caught and by catching this guy it might just make others think twice (only if he gets skopped out for life - if guilty).

"Fun riders" i.e. those not racing for positions or reward will attempt to dope for a variety of reasons but the biggest one IMHO is to make sure they will be able to finish the event, and then also the few who feel they have to do everything they can to beat there "buddies".

According to this thread the guy is huge, maybe he was taking the stuff for body building purposes instead and never dreamed he would get tested

LOL Karma karma

I agree that it's maybe a waste of money to test the "backmarkers" but I do think it makes sense. It's not only the best riders who like to ride "competitively" or to challenge themselves. Do you think its fine for "backmarkers" to dope?

Yep. I don't know why everyone is saying "bioplus".

Edit: Oh and yes, you should research(read: google) every medication(drug) your doctor gives you! Don't trust pharmaceuticals one little bit!!

Like a typical hubber I judged before I knew any facts - didn't know the guy was built like a bouncer and on steroids you wouldn't find in your average cough syrup. Knowing that now somewhat diminished my sympathy.

I hear what you guys are saying and no, I don't think its right for backmarkers to dope, and I'm sure there is the odd chop who does. But I just can't imagine that backmarkers doping for bragging rights it's a widespread problem - if it is, then humanity is in deeper crap than I thought....

In the context of limited resources, spending R1000's to catch backmarkers doping while the okes actually racing for prize money & fame are getting away with doping, is not money well spent imo.

Like a typical hubber I judged before I knew any facts - didn't know the guy was built like a bouncer and on steroids you wouldn't find in your average cough syrup. Knowing that now somewhat diminished my sympathy.

I hear what you guys are saying and no, I don't think its right for backmarkers to dope, and I'm sure there is the odd chop who does. But I just can't imagine that backmarkers doping for bragging rights it's a widespread problem - if it is, then humanity is in deeper crap than I thought....

In the context of limited resources, spending R1000's to catch backmarkers doping while the okes actually racing for prize money & fame are getting away with doping, is not money well spent imo.

I said in jest(for a laugh since clearly there should be a IQ requirement for hubbing)

Ah please we all use it it's like BIOPLUS

CLEARLY TOO MANY PEOPLE are WAAAAY TO SERIOUS AND DO NOT READ POSTS CLEARLY, THE WHOLE DAY I BEEN WATCHING EVERYONE COMMENT ABOUT BIOPLUS,,,,, SERIOUSLY.???? I was joking

Hahaha dipslick. I see I see

I said it like first thing in the morning now everyone is buying BIOPLUS,,,

Seriously are people that gullible thinking there is Schedule 5 testosterone in over the counter BIOPLUS

Just spoke to a Mate of Barry, CSA have posted this "named" release without even notifying the athlete himself... He is dumbstruck. Surely the athlete must be notified first???

Yoh!