Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

Hi all

I have just been gifted a bag of home grown fresh chilli peppers (described as ranging in hotness from "OK" to "the little guys are a bit dangerous"). As someone who rarely goes past the "sweet chilli sauce" level of spiciness, any thoughts on how best I can use and appreciate them ?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

I have just been gifted a bag of home grown fresh chilli peppers (described as ranging in hotness from "OK" to "the little guys are a bit dangerous"). As someone who rarely goes past the "sweet chilli sauce" level of spiciness, any thoughts on how best I can use and appreciate them ?

Ferment them and make a hot sauce. They don't last very long unfortunately.

Hi all

Sun dry them and you can use them at your leisure as they will basically last forever.

Hi all

If you're cautious about heat, scrape out the seeds before you use the peppers. And make very, very sure you wash your hands afterwards.

If you're cautious about heat, scrape out the seeds before you use the peppers. And make very, very sure you wash your hands afterwards.

I made sure to wash my hands just after opening the bag to give them a sniff  :lol:

But thanks for the tip about the seeds. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried my hand at making hollandaise sauce, but the flavour was just a bit too acidic and buttery for my liking. I really like Mugg and Bean's version of a hollandaise, does anyone have any idea what additional ingredients they might be adding?

Smokey Lentil Tacos with Salsa and Guacamole and a side of Chipotle Aioli Grilled Corn.

All plant based.

now you're just showing off :drool:

I tried my hand at making hollandaise sauce, but the flavour was just a bit too acidic and buttery for my liking. I really like Mugg and Bean's version of a hollandaise, does anyone have any idea what additional ingredients they might be adding?

I haven't tasted it, but making hollandaise sauce takes lots of practice to get right. It sounds like the problem is balance of flavours, which you can adjust. Do you make it with or without mustard?

• 1 month later...

Posting this here after that discussion about Nando's and their prices. Last year we got an airfryer and it's the best decision we ever made. Started out by making our own fries but you can do so much more with it.

Roast chicken is the easiest thing in the world and best of all, you don't need any oven bags and it takes less than 40 minutes.

One tip: When you get an airfryer, get the biggest one you can. As you start learning how to use it you will want to use it more and more. We got the Philips XL and it's just large enough to fit a medium-sized whole chicken.

Recipe:

Couldn't be easier.

Rub chicken with lemon juice, then a little olive oil. Spice to taste. Pop in preheated airfryer at 180c for 20 minutes, flip and roast another 15 minutes.

Take the chicken out and make sure to let it rest before you carve it. The skin will be crispy but the inside will still be very tender and juicy and if you carve it too soon you will waste all those juices.

NB: My times are calculated on a small to medium chicken that has been completely defrosted and taken out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before roasting.

yzQvfKj.jpg

So...

I bought my so son an air fryer now that he lives in his own and needs to eat and that one doesn't like standing over the stove.

He loves it.. Said mom.. You just put the meat and veg in an 20min later you are eating.

So I bit the bullet (cause this one also doesn't like standing over a stove) (and it's just my youngest and I at home) and bought the Instant Pot Air fryer.. It's a little bigger than the one I bought my son and can roast, bake, air fry and reheat.

I shall test it tonight and give feedback[emoji23]

Aaah we had an early supper because I couldn't wait.

Came out okay hey.. honey and mustard chicken breast and veg sommer in one go.. The baby potatoes messed me around a bit. So I'll play around and find the best temp, time and settings for a dish as I go on.

But yeah definitely a lot less mess[emoji23]

Edited by Gen

I haven't tasted it, but making hollandaise sauce takes lots of practice to get right. It sounds like the problem is balance of flavours, which you can adjust. Do you make it with or without mustard?

Mustard?

Never seen a hollandaise recipe with mustard in it, you learn something new every day.

Aaah we had an early supper because I couldn't wait.

Came out okay hey.. honey and mustard chicken breast and veg sommer in one go.. The baby potatoes messed me around a bit. So I'll play around and find the best temp, time and settings for a dish as I go on.

But yeah definitely a lot less mess[emoji23]

My wife bought an air fryer 6 months ago. I thought it was going to just be another gadget, but she uses it very regularly and for all kinds of things.